Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MLB 2017 Thread

Holy hell, Arizona just swept Cleveland and has a record of 6-1 through 7 games?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not penciling them into the playoffs or anything just yet, but they're looking a hell of a lot better than their 2016 incarnation.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

After losing two of three to a Cincinnati team most experts predict will lose 100 games this season, my Phillies bounced back to take two of three from Washington over the weekend, including a 17-3 ass-whuppin' Saturday night as the Phightins scored 12 times in the first inning, ten of which came at the expense of 38 year old retread Jeremy Guthrie who lasted only two-thirds of that inning and was released the next day. Here's some interesting numbers regarding Saturday's beatdown of the gNats:

1. Guthrie’s ERA now sits at 135.00 after 2/3innings of work to start the 2017 season.

2. Guthrie's WHIP (Walks, hits per innings pitched) is 15.00.

3. The 10 runs surrendered in the first inning by Guthrie is actually not the most he has ever given up in a single inning. He allowed 11 runs in the first inning of his start May 25, 2015 against the Yankees.

4. Fortunately for Guthrie, who entered the season with a 4.37 ERA, those are the only two times in the 38-year-old's 306 career starts that he has allowed that many runs.

5. The Phillies set a franchise record Saturday for most runs scored in an inning by tacking on two more to take a 12-0 lead after the first inning.

6. Philadelphia scored more runs in the first inning Saturday than the Royals, Mariners, Braves and Pirates had scored this season. The Cubs and Orioles each scored 12 runs on the season coming into the night.

7. The Phillies scored more than 12 runs just once during the entire 2016 season.

8. Phillies first baseman Tommy Joseph was hitless in 13 at-bats prior to Saturday's game and then had two hits in the first inning.

9. This was the fourth time in the last 23 seasons a team scored 12 or more runs in the first inning.

10. The Phillies were the first team to score 12 runs in the first inning since the Yankees scored 12 runs in the first inning of a 17-3 win over the Orioles on July 30, 2011.

11. The 10 runs given up in the first inning by Guthrie were more than he gave up in his first two official major league seasons. He pitched a combined 17.2 innings in 2004 and 2005.

12. Phillies starting pitcher Aaron Nola walked in the first inning and singled in the second to give him a perfect on-base percentage and batting average of 1.000. Nola batted again in the fourth, but struck out and did not have another plate appearance. He still has a nice OPS of 1.167.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 04-10-2017 at 04:51 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Anyone else watching the world series? It's been outstanding so far, rooting for the Astros

Yes. I watched the game a bit, went out to dinner (game was on at the restaurant), and came back to watch the rest. Just a crazy five hours of baseball. Amazing game last night. Knew we were in for a classic after the first inning.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I've watched a bit here and there, but I'm not really invested. Been some wild games, to be sure. Just wish I cared about either team.

So the Astros won it all and I couldn't have cared less. Apparently I'm not the only one. THis thread was dead all year, though.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    So the Astros won it all and I couldn't have cared less. Apparently I'm not the only one. THis thread was dead all year, though.
    I cared. Not because I like the Astros but because I can't stand the Dodgers and was glad to see them lose.

We could use another thread for "MLB Offseason News, Trades, Signings" or something like that.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

It was hard to follow the World Series when I could only watch four, maybe five innings at most before having to go to bed. With games running well past eleven p.m., I just couldn't stay up that late, despite my love for baseball. Damned frustrating.

I was rooting for the Dodgers, but mostly because I got into baseball due to Ken Burns' documentary and the Brooklyn Dodgers were the main focus of the first half that. So, I have a soft spot for them. Can't be too unhappy about the move because A) I wasn't around then and B) there's no need for 4 teams in New York.

But I agree with you, Punisher. There needs to be some more gravitas around the World Series and finding a way to make it more conducive for people to watch. I love baseball, but I don't think I ended up watching any of the World Series. That's a problem, if you can't even bring in baseball fans, much less people who don't care.

Well, on to next year. Probably will be getting MLB TV for the entire year next year. It allowed my fiancé to follow her Indians during the streak which was worth it, but I'm going to want to watch my Blue Jays as well. Going to try to make it to a couple Indians and Jays games as well. Only made it to one Indians game this year. And of course, can't wait for Minor League Baseball to start in April. There's no better way to spend $8 dollars in Rochester than going to see the Red Wings.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    But I agree with you, Punisher. There needs to be some more gravitas around the World Series and finding a way to make it more conducive for people to watch. I love baseball, but I don't think I ended up watching any of the World Series. That's a problem, if you can't even bring in baseball fans, much less people who don't care.
    Because of MLB's greed and hunger for prime time advertising dollars, baseball is losing an entire generation of fans who, like me, just can't stay up until 11 p.m. or later to watch the Fall Classic.

I'm on thee west so it wasn't a problem for me, but I get it for people on the east. I think the WS should be played earlier in the day, just for that fact.

Also, I see no reason to start a new thread for off season news. Just use this one, and we can start anew when the season starts.

Cole to the Astros and Andrew McCutchan to the Giants. I hate baseball...

Yeah, this hasn't been my favorite offseason. Ohtani to the Angels, as well as several other upgrades, and the Astros keep getting better. Mariners once again, only real hop for the playoffs is a wild card.