Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

It's not going to happen. Marvel wouldn't do something that would be divisive to everyone from their creators to their customers.
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

BRING BACK THE OLD WOLVERINE!!!

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suemorphplus209 View Post
    It's not going to happen. Marvel wouldn't do something that would be divisive to everyone from their creators to their customers.
    Offensive to most, if not nearly all, customers is what I believe to be the case. As far as the higher-ups at Marvel are concerned, I don't think any dissent would exist from being against the idea altogether.

Spectacular Member

Comics in general have been a way for people to poke fun of politicians. Frank Miller mocked candidates on both sides in Dark Knight Returns and Elektra. Currently in Green Arrow the mayor is not-so-secretly being portrayed as having Trump characteristics. I could see Spider-Man making a joke about him as he swings past Trump Towers or maybe in DC if he were there on a Parker Industries project, but nothing too political. I could also see having JJJ say something Trump-like to poke fun, as he's usually portrayed as an angry super-conservative old man (kind of like the Green Arrow mayoral candidate). And for those who say Trump wouldn't care either way about being in a comic book....are you kidding me? Whether you support him or not politically, the guy's a grade-A narcissist. You know he would be bragging to his buddies about getting into a Spider-Man comic, even if he didn't say it on TV. :P
    Last edited by Dmreyn; 02-05-2017 at 07:36 AM.

Would it be that hard for Marvel to just stay out of politics? Surely they realize they have readers on both ends of the ideological spectrum. But no, they just have to show their support and admiration for Obama. They just have to show how much they despise Trump.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Who The Shock? View Post
    Would it be that hard for Marvel to just stay out of politics? Surely they realize they have readers on both ends of the ideological spectrum. But no, they just have to show their support and admiration for Obama. They just have to show how much they despise Trump.
    Yes, how dare a medium that has been socio-political from the very start continue to do so!? And how dare a comic company call out a villain for what he is! The audacity!
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Marvel has always been left-leaning organization. They touched on opposition to Vietnam in The Amazing Spider-Man, the Civil Rights Movement essentially yielded the premise of X-Men, and were adamantly against the military-industrial complex in Iron Man. The entire universe is built up and around political social liberalism. It's not stunning to show admiration for a candidate who seemed to be the modern day epitome of those characteristics. Trump, given how he ran his campaign and is now dealing with the presidency, seems to be the opposite.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Taking a stance on issues of the day is one thing, endorsing and opposing Presidents/candidates is another. Marvel is free to do whatever they want, but I personally find it annoying.

Spectacular Member

Taking a stance on issues of the day is one thing, endorsing and opposing Presidents/candidates is another. Marvel is free to do whatever they want, but I personally find it annoying.
    This! You don't have to like Trump, but as a buyer of Marvel comics, why do I have to deal with their political opinions? Same can be said with those not allowing performers to perform for Trump's inauguration or threatening supporters of Trump, with never finding work in their respected fields? We have freedom of speech and free thought, so why can't people disagree with one another and debate with one another without consequences? Why not just be apolitical and let the left and right just enjoy their comics, without any prejudice for either candidate or political party?

Quote Originally Posted by rckstr1253 View Post
    This! You don't have to like Trump, but as a buyer of Marvel comics, why do I have to deal with their political opinions? Same can be said with those not allowing performers to perform for Trump's inauguration or threatening supporters of Trump, with never finding work in their respected fields? We have freedom of speech and free thought, so why can't people disagree with one another and debate with one another without consequences? Why not just be apolitical and let the left and right just enjoy their comics, without any prejudice for either candidate or political party?
    Comics have never been apolitical, some more then others but a writer is almost always going to let a little bit of their own personal feelings into what they are writing.

BANNED

There is no such thing as apolitical.

And all freedom of speech means is that the government can't stop you from saying what you want.
    It does not mean that anybody has to respect what you say, or give you a platform to say it.

Disagreeing with Trump is free speech in itself.

As a buyer of Marvel comics you have to deal with their political opinions because of the 1st amendment. Marvel has been putting their political opinions in their books since at least that time Captain America punched Hitler. Nevermind Nixon turning out to be a supervillain...

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    There is no such thing as apolitical.

And all freedom of speech means is that the government can't stop you from saying what you want.
    It does not mean that anybody has to respect what you say, or give you a platform to say it.

Disagreeing with Trump is free speech in itself.

As a buyer of Marvel comics you have to deal with their political opinions because of the 1st amendment. Marvel has been putting their political opinions in their books since at least that time Captain America punched Hitler. Nevermind Nixon turning out to be a supervillain...
    I understand that point of view, but why not provoke anyone so you keep your readers? I am sure plenty of Trump supporters/voters buy comics and why alienate them with political garbage. Why not just give them actual stories worth reading. Most of the books on going now stink story wise, and are no where near as good as DC's writing at the moment. You'd think Marvel would want to create a larger fan base as well as retain the ones you have, but by alienating some, you lose some and put off others who might of been thinking about giving their stories a chance. Just my opinion of course.
    Last edited by rckstr1253; 02-05-2017 at 06:29 PM.

BANNED

I understand that point of view, but why not provoke anyone so you keep your readers? I am sure plenty of Trump supporters/voters buy comics and why alienate them with political garbage. Why not just give them actual stories worth reading. Most of the books on going now stink story wise, and are no where near as good as DC's writing at the moment. You'd think Marvel would want to create a larger fan base as well as retain the ones you have, but by alienating some, you lose some and put off others who might of been thinking about giving their stories a chance. Just my opinion of course.
    I would reckon that most far-right folks have given up on Marvel comics ages ago. You're acting as if this is something new that Marvel haven't been doing for decades.

Nixon was a supervillain. Magneto has a naked W. cowering on the White House lawn. Captain America punched Hitler when the USA was still on relatively good terms with the Nazis.

I don't think the Trump supporter is Marvel's target audience. And he's not actually that popular, and growing less popular by the day. Marvel's CEO is one of Trump's biggest supporters. Marvel likely has good reasons to not go pro-Trump in their books. Like not having all their creative people signing a DC exclusive contract for example.

And you can't not provoke anyone.

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Quote Originally Posted by Dmreyn View Post
    Comics in general have been a way for people to poke fun of politicians. Frank Miller mocked candidates on both sides in Dark Knight Returns and Elektra. Currently in Green Arrow the mayor is not-so-secretly being portrayed as having Trump characteristics. I could see Spider-Man making a joke about him as he swings past Trump Towers or maybe in DC if he were there on a Parker Industries project, but nothing too political. I could also see having JJJ say something Trump-like to poke fun, as he's usually portrayed as an angry super-conservative old man (kind of like the Green Arrow mayoral candidate). And for those who say Trump wouldn't care either way about being in a comic book....are you kidding me? Whether you support him or not politically, the guy's a grade-A narcissist. You know he would be bragging to his buddies about getting into a Spider-Man comic, even if he didn't say it on TV. :P
    If you are talking The Dark Knight Returns, that was parodying Ronald Reagan, and he was an antagonist. If you are talking about Dark Knight 3: The Master Race, that featured both Hillary and Donald talking as part of the campaigns/debates, what they thought about Batman.
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

BRING BACK THE OLD WOLVERINE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I would reckon that most far-right folks have given up on Marvel comics ages ago.
    If by far-right you mean conservatives or Republicans, I don't think that's true. Most people can put up with political opinions that they disagree with without having to boycott or protest. If most conservatives boycotted every bit of entertainment that was biased towards the left, they'd have nothing to do. Comics, books, music, movies, TV...if you look at it politically, they're all biased towards the left but people of all ideological stripes indulge in them.

Spectacular Member

If by far-right you mean conservatives or Republicans, I don't think that's true. Most people can put up with political opinions that they disagree with without having to boycott or protest. If most conservatives boycotted every bit of entertainment that was biased towards the left, they'd have nothing to do. Comics, books, music, movies, TV...if you look at it politically, they're all biased towards the left but people of all ideological stripes indulge in them.
    This. Unlike the "tolerant" left, who riot and destroy public property just because a far right speaker is set to speak at a college. Double standards for sure in my opinion. Either way, marvel should be more worried about actually writing a book worth reading than stating their political beliefs onto the reader. Right now, I enjoy image comics more as they have fresh ideas and writers writing some great stories.