Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Who The Shock? View Post
    Would it be that hard for Marvel to just stay out of politics? Surely they realize they have readers on both ends of the ideological spectrum. But no, they just have to show their support and admiration for Obama. They just have to show how much they despise Trump.
    No. They shouldn't ignore politics, especially not in such controversial times where more than ever the people must speak up.

Marvel employees and the Marvel work community is allowed to have opinions, you know, and if someone stops reading Marvel because Marvel have a less than favorable opinion of Trump, and based upon Marvel's past statements and Trump's low approval rating already this will be the case, it wouldn't hurt Marvel at all as millions upon millions more will still watch their movies and many will still read their books.

After all, look at Saturday Night Live. They made fun of all politicians and are rightly pointing out the hypocrisy of politicians and using their own words against them. Many Trump supporters say they have sworn off SNL yet despite that SNL viewership hasn't been this high in a long time and their ratings are up. Did they take a risk on angering Trump fans? Yes. Did it pay off? Of course, and it'll pay off for Marvel as right now talking about Trump and his antics, even if it angers Trump fans, is where the money is. While badmouthing Obama wasn't really profitable or popular outside Fox News.

Heck, Eminem declared that he would work to bankrupt Trump, Trump fans are furious and swore off his products yet now Eminem is at a high in popularity and his profits are up.

So don't expect Marvel to hold back against such a big target as Trump when the money is there.
    Last edited by Sardorim; 02-06-2017 at 01:33 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Marvel employees and the Marvel work community is allowed to have opinions, you know, and if someone stops reading Marvel because Marvel have a less than favorable opinion of Trump, and based upon Marvel's past statements and Trump's low approval rating already this will be the case, it wouldn't hurt Marvel at all as millions upon millions more will still watch their movies and many will still read their books.
    Not all of Marvel!

ikey.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rckstr1253 View Post
    This. Unlike the "tolerant" left, who riot and destroy public property just because a far right speaker is set to speak at a college. Double standards for sure in my opinion.
    It's difficult for most people to tolerate intolerance, I think. People like fighting fire with fire, even if it's intellectually dishonest.

Like, I tend to be pretty pacifistic, but I can't help but think that there are purposefully nasty humans out there that probably need a good punch in the face.

To be honest, though, this debate about punching Nazis and white supremacists really does have me wondering what the right thing to do is. On the one hand, there's the idea of not lowering oneself and becoming the monster one is fighting. On the other hand, realistically, can a person maintain a peaceful disposition in the face of real danger?

-Pav, who tends to think true bravery is being peaceful in the face of hatred...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    It's difficult for most people to tolerate intolerance, I think. People like fighting fire with fire, even if it's intellectually dishonest.

Like, I tend to be pretty pacifistic, but I can't help but think that there are purposefully nasty humans out there that probably need a good punch in the face.

To be honest, though, this debate about punching Nazis and white supremacists really does have me wondering what the right thing to do is. On the one hand, there's the idea of not lowering oneself and becoming the monster one is fighting. On the other hand, realistically, can a person maintain a peaceful disposition in the face of real danger?

-Pav, who tends to think true bravery is being peaceful in the face of hatred...
    "Less well known is the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them." - Karl Popper

Seems like the internet has led to this notion that showing compassion or tolerance towards someone means you agree with them. Not true. Its entirely possible to disagree with someone and still show them compassion. And just as easy to show tolerance for someone without agreeing with them.

What did Mark Twain say? To paraphrase - "we've already determined you are a whore, and now we're just haggling over the price." No point of even having tolerance if its only for those you can easily tolerate already. If there's no work involved, its just agreement.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 02-06-2017 at 03:41 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Seems like the internet has led to this notion that showing compassion or tolerance towards someone means you agree with them. Not true. Its entirely possible to disagree with someone and still show them compassion. And just as easy to show tolerance for someone without agreeing with them.
    Not sure if you're replying to the Popper quote . . . but if you are, you're not. This is broad where that is narrow. (When antisemitic graffiti is becoming a problem in the New York Metro area, I don't really see compassion for the perpetrators being much of a strategy.)

What did Mark Twain say? To paraphrase - "we've already determined you are a whore, and now we're just haggling over the price." No point of even having tolerance if its only for those you can easily tolerate already. If there's no work involved, its just agreement.
    I'd heard the story attributed to Churchill. It's apocryphal I believe.

Fantastic Member

I'd think Peter would show great respect for the office - great power, blah blah blah - no matter who held it ... Think most Heros would ...

He might be a bit Gumpish ( I met the president ... *sigh* Again)

But the fluffy thought bubbles may be interesting ..

Only one that might be over the top would be Cap ... If they wrote him like the old days, it might border on virtual fellatio regardless who it was ... For the same reason as above, although he's been a bit more free thinking these days ...

Fantastic Member

Part of the problem is in the old days ... If you earned an asswhoopin, you got an asswhoopin ... It was a widely accepted form of social justice. Now any form of violence is frowned upon, or if you do get into a scrap - there is little honor ... You deal with friends, worry about weapons, lawsuits ...

The last refuge people have is the Internet - and they go from normal to unhinged over something as trite as a typo or a difference of opinion - to the thunderous applause of likes and retweets...

Quote Originally Posted by Vixx View Post
    Part of the problem is in the old days ... If you earned an asswhoopin, you got an asswhoopin ... It was a widely accepted form of social justice. Now any form of violence is frowned upon
    I'm not sure that part of problem is that we don't tend to use violence as discipline anymore. I know people who say," I was spanked and I turned out just fine!" and my response is always, "Are you? Maybe you'd be a better person if you'd been disciplined differently." I won't get further into why I think spanking and the like are so problematic - and I admit it's only theory - but I will say that punishment is known to be the least-effective form of behavior modification.

Anyway, we can get back to discussing why Peter wouldn't hold much respect for the so-called president.

-Pav, who imagines Peter webbing his mouth shut...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.

--------------------

I'm not sure that part of problem is that we don't tend to use violence as discipline anymore. I know people who say," I was spanked and I turned out just fine!" and my response is always, "Are you? Maybe you'd be a better person if you'd been disciplined differently." I won't get further into why I think spanking and the like are so problematic - and I admit it's only theory - but I will say that punishment is known to be the least-effective form of behavior modification.
    There is research.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    There is research.
    Tuck, many thanks.

-Pav, who enjoys evidence...

--------------------

Incredible Member

Why the Richard Nixon variant cover, was he a fan too?

From Bleeding Cool: Marvel's Big Plans 2017 - Never Mind the Politics

I am told that Marvel knows that the upcoming Secret Empire is probably too political for some readers given this current climate but they are in too deep to change direction on it now. They also believe firmly that it’s a quality book – though if people can’t get behind writer Nick Spencer‘s exploration of current politics to read it, that might be an issue. And, just as with recent Captain America issues and the recent Civil War II: The Oath, guaranteed to needle at people’s political beliefs – whatever they are.

I am told to expect that Secret Empire will be a bit of a last hurrah for this kind of storytelling from Marvel for a while. A little how Marvel writers were told to get the use of the Marvel 616 dimensional nomenclature out of their system before it was done away with for good…
    Just saying.