Page 57 of 67 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    What went wrong was that it worked, ergo, it didn't go wrong.
    But did it work? That remains to be seen.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Long Story Short, Bad ideas from the higher ups. Inhumans also faced a similar problem by putting them into events no one asked for, instead of letting the writers just tell their stories they pushed readers into a choice of read the stories and have it look like they agree with stuff they may not like, or push them away.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    What went wrong was that it worked, ergo, it didn't go wrong.
    Yes and no.

Marvel stood by her and were willing to keep trying a solo with her over and over and over again while others had to wait. She got to over 150 issues by force not by fate or ultra fan support like a Cassandra Cain or Ms Marvel.

I would say in comics-no.

Outside of comics-especially trades-YES. An 8 year old trade doesn't stay among the top sellers on Amazon by accident.

Trades are comics. They kept pushing and pushing because she was so successful in trades, which just means she's successful in comics, and there hasn't been a point since KSD where her book wasn't on the stands or in development. The character's profile has gone up in-universe to a flagship, and everything from that effort is going into her movie. Even if people hate the character because of CWII, an event based around the idea of picking a side, or other things, the fact that people are talking about her constantly, even if it's to pretend the push has failed, is more evidence that it's worked. The only thing that can go wrong is that somehow the movie sucks, and I don't see how it can.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I've seen the trailer for the movie. If that is any indication of what to expect, no, a box office success is not a given. It may achieve the more modest goal, which is to make Carol more recognizable to the general public.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think one of the big problems is they don't know what they want to do with her. It seems like each time her series gets relaunched the tone shifts. It is like they take one step forward and two steps back every time. Someone comes on and really loves her in one series then the next series comes with a new writer and it is like a new character. Her supporting cast comes and goes with each new book too. One book she is working with this group and then next book they are all gone and replaced with a new group and then the relaunch again and replace that supporting cast with another different one. That is just not how you build up a long term following.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I think one of the big problems is they don't know what they want to do with her. It seems like each time her series gets relaunched the tone shifts. It is like they take one step forward and two steps back every time. Someone comes on and really loves her in one series then the next series comes with a new writer and it is like a new character. Her supporting cast comes and goes with each new book too. One book she is working with this group and then next book they are all gone and replaced with a new group and then the relaunch again and replace that supporting cast with another different one. That is just not how you build up a long term following.
    Sounds like Marvel finally succeeded in making her their Wonder Woman then.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I've seen the trailer for the movie. If that is any indication of what to expect, no, a box office success is not a given. It may achieve the more modest goal, which is to make Carol more recognizable to the general public.
    What Marvel movie has gotten extremely bad reviews(venom like reviews) or done bad in the box office? The test case is Thor 2 and Iron 2 both bad movies how did they do in initial run? Captain Marvel box office success is almost given A. It is first female marvel movie will attract a crowd from that B. It is only marvel movie before Avengers 4 and people are dying for stuff on that movie and will attract a crowd from that. I watched the trailer as well I see another solid 3 act movie from Marvel in March with no competition serious all march has a Madea movie,kid king arthur movie and dumbo at the end of month. Unless the movie is God awful I don't see how it won't do amazing at box office.

As for the topic. Marvel push isn't failing.

-If you had to name the top three female avengers 8 years ago it would probably be Wasp, Scarlet Witch and Black Widow. Being honest to yourself Captain Marvel is part of that group now and has been probably more important every one of those names in Avengers stuff for last couple of years

-She has a consistent has books being put out,They aren't amazing sellers but consistently part of Marvel landscape. She is isn't only character something like this happens to Punisher, Aquaman, etc the numbers are amazing but you expect to see a book from them. Captain Marvel is part of group of books you expect to see when they soft reboot and have line wide initiative in new direction.

- She is beating Black Widow(who probably has biggest female star in hollywood) as first marvel female movie out and that is huge in the amount of push the media is going to give if the movie does good.

- They have successfully position her as important character in the mythos,If you had pick a female who could logically lead the Avengers it would be her, Plus she has this defender of earth role with Alpha flight that makes feel like legit player in things.

If Marvel goal is to make her into a top seller well then maybe she is failing, If marvel goal was move C or B list female character into the most important female character in their catalog they are successful. If Marvel and DC today did crossover event who would fight Wonder Woman? In past Storm was slotted in that role today that wouldn't be the case.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 11-26-2018 at 02:08 AM.

In the comics really bad writing and pathetic storylines, in the movies still waiting and actually looking forward to Brie Larson in action.
    I used to read the more recent Ms Marvel (Carol) series and then she became Captain Marvel and it all went to shit.
    Last edited by PhoenixThanos; 11-26-2018 at 01:10 AM.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post

I'm just gonna use that every time, really...
    She used to look better. Why did the change her look?

why did Netflix Luke Cage and Iron Fist fail?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Sensei View Post
    She used to look better. Why did the change her look?
    They changed it to match Kris Anka's re-design but most of the artists after him were booty.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    They changed it to match Kris Anka's re-design but most of the artists after him were booty.
    I haven’t read one of her comics in a while, but it seems like they’re trying to make her more manly? The shaved hair, the costume change and from what I understand, she’s going by Captain Marvel now rather than Mrs. Marvel?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Sensei View Post
    I haven’t read one of her comics in a while, but it seems like they’re trying to make her more manly? The shaved hair, the costume change and from what I understand, she’s going by Captain Marvel now rather than Mrs. Marvel?
    Have you not read any Marvel comic in awhile, "from what I understand, she’s going by Captain Marvel now rather than Mrs. Marvel?" first Ms. Marvel, second Captain Marvel since the end of AvX

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    why did Netflix Luke Cage and Iron Fist fail?
    Idk why Netflix cancelled them and I didn't finish watching both shows but the actors made me cringe with their "acting" and the writers had no story to tell.
    Last edited by Tofali; 11-26-2018 at 02:34 PM.