Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast

Default What went wrong with Marvel's push of Carol?

We all know that Marvel's push isn't exactly going as successfully as Marvel may want it to be, so is going wrong, any guesses?

Amazing Member

Nothing, her movie hasn't come out.

Ask after it does.

They assumed that the fan devotion that Kelly Sue DeConnick managed to amass during her run would translate into mainstream success if they just increased Carol's exposure. As it turns out, characters don't become popular just because Marvel says they are.

And turning her into a fascist didn't do her any favors.

My guess is it's the combination of Marvel trying to force her into a position that, honestly, hasn't been earned and the general reader just not being interested. Brands like like Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, X-Men or Wonder Woman have naturally gained their popularity and recognition without being forced on the reader. In the case of Captain Marvel, she lacks the spark that makes her one of the greats and in spite of that, Marvel is trying to pass her off as if she's a legendary brand name within both the company and comics itself. It ends up feeling forced and in cases can actually backfire and turn other readers off, especially when they see books they love get canceled for selling similarly yet Captain Marvel keeps being relaunched every chance Marvel gets to do so.

I'm just gonna use that every time, really...

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    And turning her into a fascist didn't do her any favors.
    This. Bendis absolutely ruined her. It's going to be quite difficult for her to pull out of that tailspin.

Quote Originally Posted by EgoManiac View Post

Ask after it does.
    Well the book isn't doing the best and I'm pretty sure CW2 has made some people be turned off by Carol.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I'm just gonna use that every time, really...
    If someone could draw this into a gif I think it would really cool :P

Wasn't Wonder Woman in the doldrums in the 60s and 70s? They even gave her a drastic revamp at one point. But then the TV show happened and she became a success again. The movie should definitely help Carol's fortunes in the same way.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

This is the comment I left on another thread so I'll copy and paste here since I think it best sums up how I feel about the situation Carol Danvers as captain marvel is in and about her future.

I think the push is important if they being marvel and her fans want the character of Carol Danvers as captain marvel to truly suceed and be popular and really be their flagship female superhero title because I think that she truly can make that a reality despite the direction marvel has taken with her character with the kinda confusing direction they took with the character even before civil war ii when she first back in 2012 finally after decades as ms.marvel took on the mantle of captain marvel and the direction they took her in was to say the least it didn't feel like marvel or Kelly sue knew where they wanted to take the character.

And with civil war ii being a disaster for the character in many readers eyes....well I don't think and believe her future as captain marvel is jeopardized or doomed to fail and that civil war ii or bendis even ruined or destroyed her character simply because of what her character did in that story...I think it's a matter of direction and how the writers handle her character going forward.

I truly believe her character will recover and survive as captain marvel and I hope despite the naysayers and critics that marvel won't give up on Carol Danvers as their flagship female superhero captain marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    My guess is it's the combination of Marvel trying to force her into a position that, honestly, hasn't been earned and the general reader just not being interested. Brands like like Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, X-Men or Wonder Woman have naturally gained their popularity and recognition without being forced on the reader. In the case of Captain Marvel, she lacks the spark that makes her one of the greats and in spite of that, Marvel is trying to pass her off as if she's a legendary brand name within both the company and comics itself. It ends up feeling forced and in cases can actually backfire and turn other readers off, especially when they see books they love get canceled for selling similarly yet Captain Marvel keeps being relaunched every chance Marvel gets to do so.
    I see nothing forceful about the push her becoming captain marvel was brilliant considering her history with the original captain mar-vell with her being kree and having similar powers I kinda wish it was sooner though...

I'm going to go on a tangent but I think honestly that when people use marvel and forcing I think it's just an indication that the person saying so just doesn't like what they're being presented.

Like really I see nothing forceful about the push marvel has being giving her character as captain marvel I wish Carol was pushed like this years ago.

The thing is, introducing a new character into the limelight of an already going storyline is a very tricky thing.

If done well, it's like Wolverine in the 70s. The character becomes such a big hit, that is everything people want to see from those writes for decades to come.
    If done poorly, it's like Jar Jar Binks. The less said about them, the better.

While she isn't Jar Jar Binks level, her current comic presence feels somewhere between Wesley Crusher and Mary Sue (for those who don't know, both are not good).

I know Carol Danvers is not really a new character, but for many longtime comic readers who haven't read her stuff, she basically is. By pushing her down our throats like this, it's actually hurting her appeal to many current comic book fans

Also,
    Quote Originally Posted by EgoManiac View Post

Ask after it does.
    This. The movies are lately what's bringing in the most fans, so unless it's a terrible movie, she should become popular soon.

Again I really hope that despite the harsh criticisms of the character wrether it's the direction marvel has been taking the character in pre civil war ii as captain marvel or during civil war ii and despite some and most of those criticisms in many ways being justified particularly for her actions and what she did in civil war ii that and this is what I fear is because of how critical readers have been negatively because of civil war ii that this will infulence marvel in abandoning the character as their flagship female superhero title captain marvel?.... I'm sure most of you don't really want the character to fail as captain marvel being their flagship female superhero title.

It's worrying though the overwhelming negativity for the character because of civil war ii.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    It's worrying though the overwhelming negativity for the character because of civil war ii.
    If it makes you feel any better, people were really hating on Iron Man after Civil War I. And we all know how that turned out.

So there is no need to worry, comic book characters always have their ups and downs. Most likely, she will be saved from this rut soon after the movie comes out
    Last edited by KFrosty; 01-19-2017 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    I see nothing forceful about the push her becoming captain marvel was brilliant considering her history with the original captain mar-vell with her being kree and having similar powers I kinda wish it was sooner though...

I'm going to go on a tangent but I think honestly that when people use marvel and forcing I think it's just an indication that the person saying so just doesn't like what they're being presented.

Like really I see nothing forceful about the push marvel has being giving her character as captain marvel I wish Carol was pushed like this years ago.
    When I say forced, I don't mean her taking on the mantle because, she does have a connection to the original and they did at least give it a setup in AvX. What I mean when I say forced pushing is that, by comparison to the things that Marvel has been able to draw its most success from, her reception has been essentially lukewarm. Other books that have sold similar to hers have ended up canceled yet Marvel continuously keeps the book going and relaunches it. From a marketing standpoint, that's not a good idea especially since even after its numerous relaunches, it's not exactly lighting up the charts. And even when it comes to the marketing for the book, they try to sell her as the world's mightiest hero, something that hasn't been earned for her either in universe or out. That's what I mean when I say that the push is forced. Anything that's really earned its place as a renown book doesn't need that kind of push; it's able to succeed on its own merits.