Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Captain Marvel is getting pushed so hard because she is the only powered female Marvel Studios has full rights too (sorry wasp)
    Marvel could easily be doing something with Kamala, Monica or .... or ... wow that's really kind of it isn't it?!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    In the short term yes, but Marvel editorial finds a way to cock it all up.

Remember when Tony Stark was set to become the flagship character for Marvel? Well, now he's comatose and his parentage to the Starks has been retconned to satisfy the some compulsion by Bendis and Gillen.
    But both Bendis Iron Man and now Iron Hearth are selling better than Gillen Iron Man and Superior Iron Man with classic Tony Stark.

Captain America is now Captain HYDRA and Remender made Steve's father an abusive alcoholic.
    And its book has probably the best sales in 10 years right now.

Hank Pym is Ultron.
    Pym it's not Ant Man in the movie

Thor is unworhty and has lost both Mjlonir and his left arm.
    And again the new Thor sells better than Thor.

Hawkeye is a murderer of one of his fellow Avengers.
    The only time Hawkeye sold was with Fraction and it couldn't be more different from the movies than that.

Nick Fury is psychopath and a killer.
    Its last solo was when? In the seventies? I don't think you quite made your point.

I think after the success of Guardians of The Galaxy, Marvel seems to think that giving their characters on the big and small screen raises the profile for more obscure faces. Even though Iron Man and Captain America can be seen as the major players of the MCU, I believe that can easily change with newer movies because the majority of the viewers are casual fans and they are very suggestible when it comes to who's hot and who's not.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by penthotal View Post
    But both Bendis Iron Man and now Iron Hearth are selling better than Gillen Iron Man and Superior Iron Man with classic Tony Stark.
    Pan - Flash. Gimmick - Retcon.

And its book has probably the best sales in 10 years right now.
    Better than Brubaker? Is it because it's a Captain America book or because he's been turned into an evil Nazi?

Pym it's not Ant Man in the movie
    He is in the MCU. Plus, Pym has been a main stay Avenger for decades.

And again the new Thor sells better than Thor.
    Because Jane Foster, a woman is Thor and that created intrigue to where Aaron would take the story. The Odinson is not why people are reading Thor. Btw, since October 2014, when Jane first got the hammer, how much has she accomplished in the 2+ years she's been the main? I wholly expect Jane to be kicked off the main book by the time the next Thor movie hits in November. Aaron's run with Jane Thor has gone nowhere.

The only time Hawkeye sold was with Fraction and it couldn't be more different from the movies than that.
    So? What Fraction did worked. Why do something so radically different and OOC going forward post-Civil War II? Only Ultimate Hawkeye was worse than present Hawkeye. Thank you, Bendis.

Its last solo was when? In the seventies?
    Does that matter. Nick Fury was a hero. Now he's villain. Or rather he would be, if he hadn't fallen off the map after Original Sin concluded.

I don't think you quite made your point.
    I made my point. You just don't like what I had to say. Which was a rebuke of the direction Marvel Comics is taking with these Golden and Silver Age heroes.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 01-20-2017 at 11:17 AM.

Because Jane Foster, a women is Thor and that created intrigue to where Aaron would take the story. The Odinson is not why people are reading Thor. Btw, since October 2014, when Jane first got the hammer, how much has she accomplished in the 2+ years she's been the main? I wholly expect Jane to be kicked off the main book by the time the next Thor movie hits in November. Aaron's run with Jane Thor has gone nowhere.
    It's becoming unrealistic that she negates her chemo by picking up the hammer, and yet stays alive. She needs to either quit for a while to get cured, or die. I think Secret Empire will see her gone anyway, not just because of Ragnarok, but also because that'll be the final arc of the recently started Avengers volume.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

When Marvel times their releases properly and gets some buzz out there, the movies can bump sales slightly but it does not always work. Often I think it just shops being a bit mercenary and hoping some casuals walk in and buy some extra issues for a comic that looks like the movie. Honestly, I think it is more important to have a trade for a comic that is related to a movie, since that will likely enthuse a casual fan more than a 4 dollar, 20 page comic that is 1/6th of the whole story.

All-New Member

I don't have any numbers to back this up, but I've heard from some people in the industry that, typically, when a movie is released, sales of the related comic books go down. Again though, I'm not sure if that's true or not.

Incredible Member

I don't think it helps at all. For example, my cousins kids will go see all the Marvel movies once and in some cases twice yet they would never be caught reading a comic book. These characters will grow in other forms of media, as far as actual comic books in my opinion it is a dying enterprise.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel/DC Fan View Post
    I don't think it helps at all. For example, my cousins kids will go see all the Marvel movies once and in some cases twice yet they would never be caught reading a comic book. These characters will grow in other forms of media, as far as actual comic books in my opinion it is a dying enterprise.
    I think the single issue is a dying enterprise, eventually Marvel and DC will have to move to a TPB release format.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    I think the single issue is a dying enterprise, eventually Marvel and DC will have to move to a TPB release format.
    Don't Marvel and DC make more money off their HC, TPB and omnibus releases anyway?

I wholly expect both to go digital for single issues in the near future.

BANNED

I made my point. You just don't like what I had to say. Which was a rebuke of the direction Marvel Comics is taking with these Golden and Silver Age heroes.
    No you didn't. The title of this thread was «DO MOVIES IN ALL HONESTY IMPACT SINGLE ISSUE SALES?» and all the things you listed as negative had actually better sales than what you judged positive.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by loudmouthcollector View Post
    I don't have any numbers to back this up, but I've heard from some people in the industry that, typically, when a movie is released, sales of the related comic books go down. Again though, I'm not sure if that's true or not.
    They go up for 5% or so for one or two issues, and then resume the standard monthly deterioration pattern.

No you didn't. The title of this thread was «DO MOVIES IN ALL HONESTY IMPACT SINGLE ISSUE SALES?» and all the things you listed as negative had actually better sales than what you judged positive.
    I did answer the OP. I said "In the short term yes, but Marvel editorial finds a way to cock it all up."

Then I proceed to list things of Marvel (what I feel is) sabotaging genuine attempts to maximize interests in their products. I also said, that "if I was a neophyte, I wouldn't know where to start."

If it wasn't for the movies getting me invested in characters like Black Widow, I never would have picked up a comic book. So I'll say yes.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    I agree, kind of like what Marvel did a few years ago selling collected issues of GoTG, Captain America, and the Avengers in $5 tpb at Wal-Mart. I think most of these current stories read better in a collected format anyways.