Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I would theorize that it would give a short term bump to sales by people who were pumped enough about the movie that it made. Want to know about the characters. Long term most of those customers won't keep up with the hobby, but some may stick around. I would imagine that legacy characters, rising costs of comic books, and general decline of interest (especially with the quality of a number of Marvel stories being questionable) leads to a lack of retaining casuals. Additionally it can be daunting to get into comics with such a wealth of history and books to choose from.

Again, just my theory. I'm ain't got time to compare sales numbers in the months preceding and following a movie release for titles that coincide with the movie.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    It doesn't really affects the Diamonds figures. At least for already popular characters among comics reader. That audience doesn't have a new and sudden interest for Batman because a movie is getting promoted.
    More obscure characters with a new entry point can have a nice boost.

But I speculate it does make the books sell more with other sales channel (Amazon or Barnes and Nobles for instance), for people who start hearing about those characters but don't want to enter a weird place known as Comics Shop.
    That's what I'm thinking. The Direct Market can be extremely confusing and intimidating. I'm fairly new to it myself (two years now, maybe) and even then, I almost didn't (and it took nearly a year to understand how the whole thing worked).
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by loudmouthcollector View Post
    I don't have any numbers to back this up, but I've heard from some people in the industry that, typically, when a movie is released, sales of the related comic books go down. Again though, I'm not sure if that's true or not.
    It can but it depends on who is in that movie or show.

Lets say your movie was Regular Show. I have no reason to touch those floppies or hunt down a comic book store because those TRADES are found at Wal-mart.

Same with TMNT, Transformers, My Little Pony and most likely the eventual Miles Morales animated film.

Lets say the movie was Fantastic Four-where is this comic book with a black Johnny Storm?

Justice League-the movie group does not match who is on the team now NOR the New 52 products that mainly EXCLUDED WW, Aquaman & Cyborg.

Only group who would get away with it is Star Trek & Dr Who who mirror their respective movies/shows. However like Regular Show-access to those trades is rather easy-especially in the library.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Movies can both help and hurt a title. There's no way I'd run out and pick up any of Deadpool's books based on his movie. Quite the opposite.