Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Sam Wilson: Captain America #18 (Review & SPOILERS)

After a trio of issues that gave solo spotlights to D-Man, Misty Knight and the new Falcon, the focus is back on Sam as things gear up for the next arc.

***SPOILERS***

As Sam reflects on the trials he's been through as Cap and the hardships that have come with the job, he's greeted with the news of Rage's arrest by the Americops after the events of last issue. Sam goes to visit Rage in jail and offers any assistance he can from himself and his fellow Avengers. But Rage rejects Sam's help, saying that it would look hypocritical of him to take advantage of the kind of resources that other African Americans don't have.

As he says "I go around saying I'm fighting for my people -- fighting for the ones who get harassed and beaten -- what kind of hero would I be if -- when it happened to me -- I just called up my super-buddies and got myself out of it?"

But even if Rage stubbornly wants to face his legal problems on his own, Sam isn't willing to sit idly by. With the new connection between his psychic link with birds and data storage, Sam uncovers video of Rage's encounter with the Americops and has blatant evidence of their brutality towards Rage. This leaves him with a decision to make - sit on the explosive footage or release it.

Most of his team is adamant that he release it, including Falcon who's angry that Sam has to even think about it. Sam also visits a contact with the Mayor's office who cautions Sam that releasing the footage could tear the country apart and is that what Sam really wants?

Finally, Sam seeks out counsel from Steve who tells Sam that sometimes the "cause is more important than the consequences" and basically urges Sam to follow his sense of values. This leads Sam to pull the trigger on releasing the footage, with the implication that all hell will break loose because of it.

***END SPOILERS***

As much as I enjoyed the solo spotlights, it was great to get back to the meat of the book (as well as getting Acuna back on art) and this issue did not disappoint. Definitely one of the strongest chapters in Sam's saga to date. As much as the "big" stuff might seem to happening over in Steve's title, Sam's book is every bit as gripping in its own way. You always hear people chime in with the suggestion that Sam should've gone back to being Falcon once Steve was back but that's not the story that Spencer is telling. It's about Sam carrying a particular weight and trying to navigate the kind of waters that he wouldn't have to as Falcon. As long as he bears the title of Captain America, every decision, every move that he makes is tried in a public court in the way that it wouldn't be if he were still Cap's old sidekick.

From his encounter with Steve in this issue, it's impossible to determine how Steve is or isn't playing Sam here. We'll know more when the fallout from Sam's actions here play out but I would think that Steve knows that this is going to blow up on Sam so encouraging him to release the footage as doing the "right" thing was choice manipulation on his part.

I don't know what's going to happen with Sam's book after the next arc or so but if it ends, or gets relaunched, or whatever - this book continues to be a highlight every month, balancing full on superhero stuff and topicality with a deft hand.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 01-19-2017 at 08:39 AM.

Incredible Member

Nomad was finally seen in this issue after not being seen anywhere. We saw half of his face and his staff in a flashback! So people remember him at least...

Steve's computer in his secret lair has a bright green light because why wouldn't hydra agents have green computers.

I like Sam's council of friends who he works with its team Sam, still blown away how D-man used to be a huge joke in comics but look at him now

Something that made me laugh is just like when Steve did it with Sam and Now Sam to rage, just name drop you are captain America and you can see any prisoner

Interested to see how this title continues through the summer cap event

Hmm... think I'll pick this up.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

It's sometimes REALLY hard to tell whether or not regular Cap would act any differently than HydraCap here.

I assume this is all a part of HydraCaps master plan... but I can't help but wonder if regular Steve wouldn't essentially say and do the exact same thing.

it's still weird to me that Dwayne Taylor isn't involved. I would think that he'd take it badly; Rage winding up in prison. I might be jumping the gun. I guess that he could already have tried to buy a lawyer for the guy.

Anytime someone mentions hitting up Peter Parker for money, it's like there's a joke that nobody else is in on .

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    it's still weird to me that Dwayne Taylor isn't involved. I would think that he'd take it badly; Rage winding up in prison. I might be jumping the gun. I guess that he could already have tried to buy a lawyer for the guy.
    I think the point though is that Rage doesn't want help from his super hero buddies.

Though it would be kinda fun to see some of the Warriors show up anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think the point though is that Rage doesn't want help from his super hero buddies.

I get that. but it's not really in Night Thrasher's character to not interfere. but this is a minor complaint on my part. I'm fine with the cast; as-is. I just remember Night Thrasher and Falcon "teaming" up recently. I think Misty might have been there, too.

Ultimate Member

Night Trasher is Rage's legal guardian. So he would have to get involved unless Rage doesn't know he is back alive.

BANNED

Hmm they went hard. Fine call Daredevil then.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Night Trasher is Rage's legal guardian. So he would have to get involved unless Rage doesn't know he is back alive.
    I think Rage is supposed to be over 18 now.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Rage is still a minor? Anyways given that Night Thrasher has been dead for quite some time presently he either got another legal guardian or was emancipated. Still, a phone call from him would be nice.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    I think Rage is supposed to be over 18 now.
    He was in school when Civil War the killing of Bill Foster happened.

And who knows how old anyone is with this merged universe.

Rage has to be at least 18 by now.

He can't be the only old New Warrior who isn't a legal adult at this point.

Rage is still a minor? Anyways given that Night Thrasher has been dead for quite some time presently he either got another legal guardian or was emancipated. Still, a phone call from him would be nice.
    I wasn't expecting any more than a name drop. but it stood out because of them name-dropping Peter Parker, instead. when I think of people with money that Elvin could rely on, Pete isn't the first one to come to mind.