Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Heh, I was wondering if someone was going to call me out over that quip against Adventure Time.

I'm going to be blunt, I'm sick of hearing about Adventure Time. That show is nothing but a cancer on the animation industry, an inconsistent mess that has spawned countless imitators in the last few years, to the detriment of popular culture as a whole. Which I would in other circumstances leave well enough alone except for the fact that the Adventure Time fanbase seems determined to evangelise the show at every opportunity. Making the 'hype' around Adventure Time almost as obnoxious as the whole My Little Pony fiasco.

So, it pleases me greatly that Adventure Time is ending. Cartoon Network is simply better off without it.

I'd agree Adventure Time is pretty bad I never got the hype about it. I saw one ep i thought was funny about a cupcake or something but yeah...

Heh, I was wondering if someone was going to call me out over that quip against Adventure Time.

I'm going to be blunt, I'm sick of hearing about Adventure Time. That show is nothing but a cancer on the animation industry, an inconsistent mess that has spawned countless imitators in the last few years, to the detriment of popular culture as a whole. Which I would in other circumstances leave well enough alone except for the fact that the Adventure Time fanbase seems determined to evangelise the show at every opportunity. Making the 'hype' around Adventure Time almost as obnoxious as the whole My Little Pony fiasco.

So, it pleases me greatly that Adventure Time is ending. Cartoon Network is simply better off without it.
    I mean, it's fine that you don't like it. Whatever. But to call it mindless is really selling it short. That's all I'm saying.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    I mean, it's fine that you don't like it. Whatever. But to call it mindless is really selling it short. That's all I'm saying.
    Believe me when I say that the pejorative 'mindless' is showing Adventure Time far more respect than it deserves. I have many more choice words I could use to describe Adventure Time, none of which are entirely pleasant or usable in polite conversation. Still, I'll stick with labelling Adventure Time as 'mindless' for now; nicely sums up the inherent contradictions which make Adventure Time a bad cartoon.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

In regard to good things coming out on CN:

Any of the series on Toonami if you like anime, I would highly recommend Jojo's bizarre adventure.

Bear in mind that CN right now is going for the "Comedy" rather then the Adventure grouping that the heads seem to think sells to kids, because you know, kids like dumb things. (being very sarcastic here)

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Tell us how you really feel about it.

I will give you AT's fanbase is just as insane/annoying as any other fanbase that is over-active on the net, but the show itself is solid, well, written, creative and just plain fun! It itself is hardly a cancer, as it along with Regular Show helped bring in CN's second golden age!

But yea, CN has only ever really had one dark age and it was only from 05-09 which is pretty darn short, the majority of the network's life has been awesome, and even at its worse the network is still 10x better then Disney & Nick have been for the past decade & a half now. Cartoon Network is a great place for creators to release fun, new & original content. Sure the franchised and toyetic shows may get the shaft for the most part. But other then that the channel is still solid.

though I will agree with you 1000% that it is super creepy that abunch of grown men over took the fanbase for a show made to sell toys to 2-6 year old girls. XD

Also as an extra note on Disney & CN: Disney does still produce quality televised animations, but they really have them put on crappy schedules most of the time, which is sad, because I would like new eps of Star VS The Forces of Evil to come on at a better time then the wee hours of the morning.

As for Nick, outside of Loud House they don't really have any notable original animations anymore as Oddparents & SpongeBob stopped being good for the most part at least decade ago.

But this is all just my 2-cents.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Tell us how you really feel about it.

I will give you AT's fanbase is just as insane/annoying as any other fanbase that is over-active on the net, but the show itself is solid, well, written, creative and just plain fun! It itself is hardly a cancer, as it along with Regular Show helped bring in CN's second golden age!
    Adventure Time is garbage and it was a mistake for other cartoons to follow it's example. I say that cartoons instead follow the example set by animation during the 90s. When shows like Batman: The Animated Series, X-Men and Gargoyles achieved the next level of storytelling in cartoons, easily surpassing many adult live-action shows of the same era. Yet, instead cartoons have been setback decades by the mindless drivel that is Adventure Time, which cares nothing for good storytelling, high quality animation or even logical consistencies. At least now Adventure is finally coming to an end, before too much longer Adventure will fade in obscurity and the world can move on.

Adventure Time is garbage and it was a mistake for other cartoons to follow it's example. I say that cartoons instead follow the example set by animation during the 90s. When shows like Batman: The Animated Series, X-Men and Gargoyles achieved the next level of storytelling in cartoons, easily surpassing many adult live-action shows of the same era. Yet, instead cartoons have been setback decades by the mindless drivel that is Adventure Time, which cares nothing for good storytelling, high quality animation or even logical consistencies. At least now Adventure is finally coming to an end, before too much longer Adventure will fade in obscurity and the world can move on.
    I respect your opinion, but I will have to severely disagree, it seems you have a very limited perception as to what makes up "next level" story telling. Batman:TAS, X-MEN & Gargoyles were solid shows, but I do believe you are being blinded by the goggles of nostalgia. Adventure time has had just as much depth as those shows, if not more, only in more subtle ways. Shows like AT & Steven Universe have a huge well of emotional depth in their storytelling. Adventure Time has covered actual real life events like having a family member with Alzheimers, puberty, politics, etc and has done so in touching, creative & interesting ways. Steven Universe has dealt with mortality, anxiety, loss, etc in very mature, creative and interesting ways as well.

The truth is, Adventure Time & Steven Universe are considered modern classics for a reason, because they deserve that distinction. And no, they will not be forgotten, AT is a classic of this decade just like Invader Zim was of the 00's and just like Animaniacs was of the 90's.

Also using a show's 7 year run coming to an end as justification to why it is bad or will be "forgotten" is just flat out juvenile.

Just because the creativity, depth and subtlety of the show is lost on you doesn't mean it deserves such scorn, no matter how annoying its fanbase is.

But hey, that's just my 2-cents.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

BANNED

I respect your opinion, but I will have to severely disagree, it seems you have a very limited perception as to what makes up "next level" story telling. Batman:TAS, X-MEN & Gargoyles were solid shows, but I do believe you are being blinded by the goggles of nostalgia. Adventure time has had just as much depth as those shows, if not more, only in more subtle ways. Shows like AT & Steven Universe have a huge well of emotional depth in their storytelling. Adventure Time has covered actual real life events like having a family member with Alzheimers, puberty, politics, etc and has done so in touching, creative & interesting ways. Steven Universe has dealt with mortality, anxiety, loss, etc in very mature, creative and interesting ways as well.

The truth is, Adventure Time & Steven Universe are considered modern classics for a reason, because they deserve that distinction. And no, they will not be forgotten, AT is a classic of this decade just like Invader Zim was of the 00's and just like Animaniacs was of the 90's.

Also using a show's 7 year run coming to an end as justification to why it is bad or will be "forgotten" is just flat out juvenile.

Just because the creativity, depth and subtlety of the show is lost on you doesn't mean it deserves such scorn, no matter how annoying its fanbase is.

But hey, that's just my 2-cents.
    The legacy of both Batman: The Animated series and 90's X-men has already stood the test of time; as both shows remain rightly praised as two of the cartoons ever made. These classics have great storytelling, great animation and great respect for their audiences. In contrast, Adventure Time doesn't have any respect for anybody; the animation is of a severely low quality, marred further by a deliberately ugly art style; while storytelling is decidedly schizophrenic, going for cheap emotional shots one minute and then cravenly stupid the next. This poor work ethic and lack of constancy will be Adventure Time’s undoing more than anything else, as the show is swiftly forgotten.

Besides, it’s also telling that Adventure Time is trying to leech off the popularity of Animaniacs and Invader Zim to try and excuse its own flaws. I think that if the likes of Animaniacs and Invader Zim were still on the air today then Adventure Time would’ve never made it to the end of its first season before being cancelled. In true Looney Tunes style Yakko, Wakko, and Dot would’ve just openly mocked Adventure’s Time trite attempts at emotional pathos. While (much to the horror of Nickelodeon executives) Zim and Gir would’ve just eclipsed Adventure Time’s feeble social commentary in a wave of gleeful madness and obscene violence.

The legacy of both Batman: The Animated series and 90's X-men has already stood the test of time; as both shows remain rightly praised as two of the cartoons ever made. These classics have great storytelling, great animation and great respect for their audiences. In contrast, Adventure Time doesn't have any respect for anybody; the animation is of a severely low quality, marred further by a deliberately ugly art style; while storytelling is decidedly schizophrenic, going for cheap emotional shots one minute and then cravenly stupid the next. This poor work ethic and lack of constancy will be Adventure Time’s undoing more than anything else, as the show is swiftly forgotten.

Besides, it’s also telling that Adventure Time is trying to leech off the popularity of Animaniacs and Invader Zim to try and excuse its own flaws. I think that if the likes of Animaniacs and Invader Zim were still on the air today then Adventure Time would’ve never made it to the end of its first season before being cancelled. In true Looney Tunes style Yakko, Wakko, and Dot would’ve just openly mocked Adventure’s Time trite attempts at emotional pathos. While (much to the horror of Nickelodeon executives) Zim and Gir would’ve just eclipsed Adventure Time’s feeble social commentary in a wave of gleeful madness and obscene violence.

Again, you are entitled to your opinion, but not a single thing you have typed in that post is factual. I am just glad people who actually make animation & comics are more open minded and creative then the people that watch/read them.

BANNED

Again, you are entitled to your opinion, but not a single thing you have typed in that post is factual. I am just glad people who actually make animation & comics are more open minded and creative then the people that watch/read them.
    You aren't even trying to discuss the points I raised in my last. Instead, you've just gone with an unsupported denial and a thinly veiled attack on my character. Disappointing really...

You do realize that any back and forth on this topic is a waste of time, right? Yes, Adventure Time is important and most everyone sees that. But not everyone is going to agree. It's depth and charm will be lost on someone, just as the depth and charm of Animaniacs or Invader Zim is lost on some. It happens. There will always be people who out right discount the importance of a thing just because some piece of it doesn't suit them and they can't see past it. I'm not intentionally singling out Kintor for this, because they are clearly not alone. It doesn't make anything that they say correct.

I mean, how many people do you think actually believe that Adventure Time will just be lost to the annals of history? Not many, I'm sure. It has had too much impact on the world of animation. It's storytelling is too rich, it's world too intricately and carefully crafted. It's characters too well developed. It isn't going anywhere, regardless of whether or not new episodes are being created.

Did someone actually just try to say the '90s X-Men cartoon is one of the best ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Did someone actually just try to say the '90s X-Men cartoon is one of the best ever?
    I mean....yeah, it was pretty good. Sure, the animation got a little sideways sometimes, especially in the fifth season, but from a story telling stand point it was solid. At least for a cartoon from the 90's, anyway. It was never terrible.

I think it gets called one of the best of all time simply because for a lot of us, that show helped define a large part of our childhood. Hell, for me it defined a large part of my life since. It single handedly introduced me to the world of comic books. And it holds up reasonably well, too.

You aren't even trying to discuss the points I raised in my last. Instead, you've just gone with an unsupported denial and a thinly veiled attack on my character. Disappointing really...
    Because there is noting to discuses. You are merely posting your opinion & as Goingdowner said continuing to argue about it as pointless as we will never agree with one another.

And Yes, when someone acts like a small-minded grumpy old man I will call them out on it. We get that mindset enough from political & religious leaders, we don't need it in the comic & animation community.

@Joker: X-Men:TAS is a classic of the 90's just like Batman:TAS, Animaniacs, Freakazoid, etc. Sure it may have been hit in miss in quality in terms of storytelling throughout its lifetime, but it was a pretty well done animation overall, even if it did get over soap-operaish at times XD.

Though the Evolutions series from the early 00's was a solid X-Men Animation as well IMO, honestly I can't think of an X-Men animation that is flat out bad, they all have had their strong and weak points.

But anywho back to the topic of Cartoon Network itself. Even though Regular Show has wrapped up and Adventure Time is on its last season, it has other new interesting cartoons like Summer Camp Island and (maybe) Infinity Train coming in 2018. Both of which look like cute, fun and creative animations in the same vain as other current CN originals. Also we know Steven Universe will have at least 5 seasons and it is currently just airing season 4, so it should still be around for another couple years, and We Bare Bears is still going strong being renewed for a third season, and even though Amazing World of Gumball's creator Ben Boucqlet may leave the show after this season, the show itself will most likely still go on for a couple more years. I have no idea how long Clarence will stay on but it seems to be doing decently well. Mighty Magi swords is abit manic in its humor but still manages to be enjoyable in small doses.

As for Reboots of shows, sure the 2016 PPG may not be as good as the original, but like with any reboot of a franchise it is making a new generation aware of the characters which could get more children interested in superheroes in general which is always good, and the new series does have it's genuinely funny moments here and there, even if most of it is fairly average. The Ben 10 Reboot actually looks fun IMO as I never cared for the original series or its various spin-offs, so a more comedic version might change my opinion of the series.

The only real problem is CN mistreating any 3rd Party show that's not Teen Titans Go! JLA deserves a better time-slot and Sonic Boom deserves more love from the main CN network as opposed to just being relegated to Boomerang.

And in terms of Dark Ages, remember even in the short dark age of 06-09 we still had new Foster's episodes till 08, so even the dark times can give you something to enjoy.

And hey CN is still 1000x better then Disney & Nick networks have been for the past 10-15 years now.

But again that's just my 2-cents.

And hey CN is still 1000x better then Disney & Nick networks have been for the past 10-15 years now.

But again that's just my 2-cents.
    While I won't defend those networks as a whole, it's at least worth mentioning Nick produced the Avatar series, the first of which is undeniably a classic (Korra still being well regarded, if not hitting those heights.) and Disney produced Gravity Falls which imo holds up as one of the best series in the last five years.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!