Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Well, if we want to talk Wonder Woman humor, you can start with idiosyncrasies and give her a bad sense of fashion. Like she wears whatever she likes rather than whats in season, she ends up looking like toddler or drag queen. Luckily she's got Etta or Myndi or whoever is in her entourage to style her.

Then you could add behavioral ticks like a rabid competitive drive. She earned the role of Wonder Woman by winning a contest after all, and it's how Talia kept her busy in Tower of Babel. Let's say she's got a single-minded need to compete and win. It's all in good fun --but she's so intense it puts people off. She doesn't pout or anything when she loses, she just focuses more and kinda obsesses over strategy and solutions.

In dialog, she should be totally over people being angry and extra. Like, she's physically stronger than EVERY MAN ON THE PLANET, so the whole macho tough guy stuff is so boring and childish. So she treats men who act big and bold and cruel like impetuous children... and then pivots on a dime when she sense them actually being honest.
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 02-10-2017 at 07:23 AM. Reason: language, please :)

With all due respect to some of you.i believe this thread is much more than just about WONDER WOMAN it's about her fellow AMAZONIAN SISTER'S as well.

TROIA
    NUBIA
    ARTEMIS
    WONDER GIRL
    FURY
    GRACE CHOI

not one of the WOMEN have been given an ongoing and they do have fans that love and respect them just as BATMAN and SUPERMAN have their fanbase.

BATMAN'S family include

the HUNTRESS
    BATWOMAN
    CATWOMAN
    BATGIRL
    NIGHTWING
    ROBIN
    RED ROBIN
    AZRAEL
    BATWING

all these character have had their own ongoing at one point or time and

SUPERMAN'S family

SUPERGIRL
    SUPERWOMAN
    POWER GIRL
    STEEL
    SUPERBOY
    VALOR
    NEW SUPER-MAN

their may be more but this is all I can come up with.where's the justice and respect that should be given to DIANA.it seems to me that GREEN LANTERN should be part of the TRINITY than WONDER WOMAN.their was a time when he had several spin off's as well.

Diana in Marston's hasn't been single-minded for contests so maybe more on the side of maybe she thinks she knows the man's world better than we do. It terms of Diana's humor in Marton's she has been sassy and one of my favorites is when she purposely sends her enemies flying but makes it look like an accident. so if we can make her when in civilian clothes secretly deal with jerks

Yeah ok. So here's something to remember when you see my name next to a post in a thread: I'm usually being creative and collaborative with my ideas, not basing everything on text or analysis. I thought you were asking for how WW could be a little lighter and funny, I gave some suggestions. They might not be to your liking, that's A OK.

And all due respect, warzon, if Amazonian ideals are reliant on Themysciran origins, then WW's whole point of existence is negated.

Although I do think the clothes thing is funny. Diana just walking in a tank top and shorts in the winter. Maybe she could also be more liking to men's clothes because she is taller and think then most women.

CRaymond.no offense but that post wasn't meant for you.i believe the person who started the post asked the question (why wonder woman can't expand her series like batman and superman)''i'' said nor text anything about wonder woman being funnier nor lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Yea. She is general a like more serious. But how should she and her comic be humorous? I mean Diana is a fish out of water and does use that to tell jokes but what else?
    Snappy dialogue, I wish she still talked like this.

WW PL.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Uhm, Batman is DC's most successful franchise because he's just a more successful IDEA. The best writers and the best artists are only minor contributing factors to the very simple notion they have to work with: "rich guy fighting crime". It's less of a conceptual leap than "super-powered alien raised in the Kansas wants to be a reporter", and a LOT less than "a similarly super-powered immortal amazon from a feminist utopia sent to save us from our worst --albeit largely invisible-- behaviors".

daBronzeBomma ain't wrong when he suggests Wonder Woman's franchise could use a setting that has as much personality as Metropolis or Gotham City. Giving Wonder Woman a location to call her own that includes her supporting cast, a civilian role, and a few recurring enemies would be big.

ONE THING I don't see people bringing up is WW tends to be humorless. There *IS* a lot of fish out of water and lost in translation crap, but when you think about Wonder Woman as an antidote for toxic masculinity, it should be cracking wise ALL THE TIME. I really think that was the success of the Marston era, and the one thing that's missing in these new Rucka issues.
    Sorry but I could not disagree with this more. You could have the best idea in the world and if you have a crappy writer attached to it, it will still fail. People keep making this mistake that DC's icons were just created that way. No one remembers that DC was considering cancelling the Batman comic before the Adam West show came out or that Superman's relevance is owed in part to DC suing away competition like Shazam. Batman is not more successful because he's a better idea, especially given that "entitled, rich, white guys who use their wealth and influence to destroy those they hate" is pretty damn troubling, especially these days.

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    With all due respect to some of you.i believe this thread is much more than just about WONDER WOMAN it's about her fellow AMAZONIAN SISTER'S as well.

TROIA
    NUBIA
    ARTEMIS
    WONDER GIRL
    FURY
    GRACE CHOI
    I agree. I love each of these characters and want to see them appear!

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Snappy dialogue, I wish she still talked like this.

WW PL.jpg
    OMG!

That 2-parter is one of my favorite stories! I always loved the lady-fight, with Diana easily besting Sandy, but the cheerful banter was a delight. This is also where WW's lasso was (First) broken!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Sorry but I could not disagree with this more. You could have the best idea in the world and if you have a crappy writer attached to it, it will still fail. People keep making this mistake that DC's icons were just created that way. No one remembers that DC was considering cancelling the Batman comic before the Adam West show came out or that Superman's relevance is owed in part to DC suing away competition like Shazam. Batman is not more successful because he's a better idea, especially given that "entitled, rich, white guys who use their wealth and influence to destroy those they hate" is pretty damn troubling, especially these days.
    Christ you're tiring. Do you troll other people or do you only look for the **** I say and then spin it so you can have something to trash?

I didn't say anything about crappy writers ruining character potential. I didn't say anything about historical corporate damage to other character concepts. I didn't say anything about Adam West or television. I certainly didn't say anything that would suggest "rich guy fights crime" is equal to white privilege advantages and vengeance fables. And I didn't get political.

I'm suggesting that Wonder Woman stories are simply a higher hurdle for writers to shepherd and audiences to fly through. There's a lot of moving parts with regard to feminism, mythology, history, ideology, and methodology. There's no setting crutches like Gotham or ready-made foils like Robin or Alfred. There's no cookie-cutter criminal mystery plot to unspool... like nearly every menace in Gotham presents. She's ultimately a superego in flesh, there's no internal struggle to pivot or glom onto.

Should Diana have a gateway city again? I mean I get she is the ambassador to the world but even Superman and Batman has places to call home.

Absolutely. Preferably a west coast cultural hub that has a strong political identity, and a history of integrating immigrants. Diana needs to identify with the residents and the residents need to be the kind of populace that would adopt her as theirs.

Would Californa work but I think she would want to live in a place that you can get away from it long if she just wants to disappear. D.C use to be her originally home maybe in D.C

Why can't she be in nyc? I'm sure they can use a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    Why can't she be in NYC? I'm sure they can use a hero.
    True. It is considered for many ones of the most diverse places and the capital of the world due to a large number of events.