Default Ultimecia vs. Lavos

The final bosses of Final Fantasy VIII and Chrono Trigger square off in a fight to the death!

The arena is the entire planet, so short of D-Dumping and Spacing, there is no ring out.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Dweller in the West Primetime Harder's Avatar

Couldn't Ultimecia just "time kompress" Lavos back into its larval form?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Are there any ghost types that are immune to fire, ice, and gorilla marriage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    I hate you all, from chimpan a to chimpan z.
    "Doom drinks your milkshake!" -PatchMadripoor

Original join date: 6/2007

Incredible Member

I know Ultimecia has this Time Kompression thing where she wants to become a god...
    I am having trouble remembering specific feats of hers. Can anyone share some?

Everyone's favorite host Guy Smiley's Avatar

I don't think Ultimecia has any real combat-speed 'time kompression' tricks. Maybe some teleportation at best, if I remember FF8's pre-final-battle cutscene correctly. And that kind of time manipulation would probably be her best defense against a non-Schala'd Lavos. Other than that, she's only got mostly anti-personnel magic, the ability to summon Griever, and stuff like Hell's Judgement which is pretty much featless and probably wouldn't work on Lavos anyway. Uh, she had some ability to possess other Sorceresses via a device or ability similar to Ellone's, but I don't think that'd work on Lavos, especially considering Lavos has that whole Chrono Cross Frozen Flame thing going.

Meanwhile, yeah, Lavos has Crono-disintegrating mouth beams, nigh-unlimited kinetic kill orbital strike weapons, and the harvested and incorporated abilities of pretty much everything that existed in the Chrono Trigger world. Although in-battle we only see it use the powers of a few select bosses - including abilities harvested from the nonexistant DNA of a tank - IIRC it's pointed out in-game that it was harvesting from all life on the planet. And that's just its outer shell.

Yeah, Lavos should have this in the bag.

Astonishing Member

One of these entities brushed off both atmospheric entry and the mass-extinction generating explosion it caused when it impacted the planet.

The other is Ultimecia.

I wouldn't even give it to her if you used the Dissidia version that was basically a gender-flipped Dio.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    One of these entities brushed off both atmospheric entry and the mass-extinction generating explosion it caused when it impacted the planet.

The other is Ultimecia.

I wouldn't even give it to her if you used the Dissidia version that was basically a gender-flipped Dio.
    In the cut scene, didn't the initial impact only cause a small crater, then his "destruction rains from the heavens" attack destroy everything else? Which is still impressive, but different.

edit: If I forgot that they initial impact killed the reptites, I haven't played the game recently enough. Brb, chrono binge.
    Last edited by klefmung; 01-22-2017 at 06:14 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by klefmung View Post
    In the cut scene, didn't the initial impact only cause a small crater, then his "destruction rains from the heavens" attack destroy everything else? Which is still impressive, but different.

edit: If I forgot that they initial impact killed the reptites, I haven't played the game recently enough. Brb, chrono binge.
    His initial impact not only caused a huge crater but destroyed a mountain with a huge castle on it, killing the reptites. His impact was also such that it caused a global ice age for millions of years.