Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Mask:Could she be made into a good villian

One thing that interests me is The Mask. She was married to a Millionaire and then because he abused she kills him. I think she still she be tragic but she shouldn't be redeemed yet because she feels the legal system is messed up.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

She definitely could be an interesting and viable villain. She was married to a millionaire, so she's got money. Was it proven she killed him? No, couldn't be obviously, so how? She's set herself up as a master (mistress?) Of disguise. After she strikes, she leaves her mask behind.
    She might work better with someone from the bat-clan if she remains a normal powered woman, but there's ways around that even for WW.

I guess she could either get it through a mystic object or tech. But you would have to be careful seeing has it's Dr.Cyber's thing. Another thing is for her to also be a Banas woman from the Banas's trying to colonize small parts of America.

BANNED

She'd be a better villain for street level characters tbh. Her methods has been to arm and finance abused women, something I don't think really think would fly in this day and age.

I could see her recast as a kind of super-spy who wears a mask, but who's primary objective is to gather information. If you wanted to tie her to the old themes, you could have her run afoul, or got caught once by someone who's property she had broken in to and suffered for it. And as a result she has a lasting interest in jobs that lets her leak the dirty laundry of similar people. But if you wanted her to play ball with Diana again, I would think she needed somekind of boost... like a different version of Deathstroke's serum.

Alternatively, she could be part of a Dark Birds of Prey group, with someone like Dr. Cyber playing the part of Oracle, The Mask would be the stand in for Huntress and maybe a retooled Giganta standing in for Black Canary?

I think the philosophy behind the Mask is strong enough for her to make a compelling foil for Diana, but certainly not a long-term one. The Mask isn't the type of villain to test Wonder Woman physically but definitely thematically.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    She'd be a better villain for street level characters tbh. Her methods has been to arm and finance abused women, something I don't think really think would fly in this day and age.
    So shes a person with tons of money who seeks and finds abused women (maybe even transexual women) gives them guns and does she expect anything from them like obedience or loyalty? She could be creating some type feminist militia or a cult, creating her own version of modern day Amazons.

I think a extremist feminists militia group. The question is how would she get women to join her.

If the Flash rogues could become cool, anything is possible.

And there's more than enough in the source material to mine, so it would probably take less effort and require fewer liberties to give a modern take on the Mask than it did to make Captain Boomerang, Captain Cold, and the rest be accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I think a extremist feminists militia group. The question is how would she get women to join her.
    Well they are abused so she helps them, both physically and emotionally, and gains their trust and then she tells them, like your first post, the legal system is to blame because its run by men and tells them that they to stick together and maybe spread some propaganda like say that men spread diseases and is the cause of every war. Also some women in the group are some hired guns/soldiers that Mask hired to train the abused women and some are just normal mercenaries looking for work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Well they are abused so she helps them, both physically and emotionally, and gains their trust and then she tells them, like your first post, the legal system is to blame because its run by men and tells them that they to stick together and maybe spread some propaganda like saying that men spread diseases and is the cause of every war. Also, some women in the group are some hired guns/soldiers that Mask hired to train the abused women and some are just normal mercenaries looking for work.
    And there are sadly real news articles of people in power blaming women and giving a light sentence to their attacks. Also, I see the group using other cases of domestic abuse around the world. One thing that would have to be dealt with is the strength. Many she could get a hold of an object that gives the group strength to confront Diana.

BANNED

And there are sadly real news articles of people in power blaming women and giving a light sentence to their attacks. Also, I see the group using other cases of domestic abuse around the world. One thing that would have to be dealt with is the strength. Many she could get a hold of an object that gives the group strength to confront Diana.
    Or, maybe, a perversion of Amazon training that does indeed strengthen them, but mentally harms them? And that strength, while not making them equal to Diana 1 on 1, would be a challenge to her in total?

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Or, maybe, a perversion of Amazon training that does indeed strengthen them, but mentally harms them? And that strength, while not making them equal to Diana 1 on 1, would be a challenge to her in total?
    I'm not sure if they need to be on Diana's level, they are just women with guns, just a danger to normal men, who could not actually doesn't shoot women so they refuse to shoot at Diana because she is a women and surrender towards her which makes them look like peaceful protesters in the media when Diana knows better that they violent but she can't attack them because that makes her look bad.
    Last edited by Mutant God; 01-25-2017 at 01:50 PM.

True. I'm just wondering how do you make them more of a Wonder Woman villain than just an original. A mean Cale can technically be made for many one but her involvement with magical and other things makes her a great Wonder Woman villain. The Mask and her Group needs something to set them apart.

BANNED

I'm not sure if they need to be on Diana's level, they are just women with guns, just a danger to normal men, who could not actually don't women so they refuse to shoot at Diana because she is a women and surrender towards her which makes them look like peaceful protesters in the media when Diana knows better that they violent but she can't attack them because that makes her look bad.
    I suggested that they get decently strong so they have the flexibility of a physical attack on her (not sure even a horde of normal strength women could threaten her)---being innocents, they'd be very hard for her to use her strength on.

But some of this is a tradeoff where The Mask's minions get something unique and seemingly very good, but which is harmful in the end.

BANNED

So shes a person with tons of money who seeks and finds abused women (maybe even transexual women) gives them guns and does she expect anything from them like obedience or loyalty? She could be creating some type feminist militia or a cult, creating her own version of modern day Amazons.
    And thats kinda the problem. While I know Diana is supposed to combat things like oppression with love and compassion and the Mask is doing it with guns and as such the setup is there. But in this day and age I think it would send a wrong or confusing message that a comicbook character, even if its a villain, is advocating for social changes through an armed uprising.