Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Why do you think Dust isn't used more?

I mean I love her so much. And all she is is a background character right now. I think she has so much potential.

BANNED

She's a New X-Man. Next question.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    She's a New X-Man. Next question.
    Pretty much this. Any member of the NXM not named X-23 is pretty much there to be wallpaper these days, until they want to kill someone off that will generate a big audience reaction, but without having to sacrifice an A- or B-lister.

It's a real shame that she isn't used more. Her power set can be used for so many idea's, recon, cover during retreat, lethal force just to name a few. With Marvel's diversity push I am surprised she isn't getting something in the way of more page time.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I dont know really. She is my favorite of the New X-Men and I loved that she made a cameo in WATX and in a Nightcrawler episode no less. I also think she has a lot of potential. She should be on the Gold team to add some freshness to the roster. If she hasn't she should have made an appearance in Ms. Marvel.

Especially with the political climate, it would be good to see Dust used more. I don't think she's been prominent in anything since the forgettable "Young X-Men" which should be ignored for any future character arc Dust might have.

But like others have said, the New X-Men are typically only used for cannon fodder or wallpaper these days. Writers are more interested in the likes of Quire and sight gag characters when it's time to bring teen X-Men to the table.

Dust may be "diverse", but she's also adheres somewhat to stereotype, even down to her powers, and artists can never be bothered to do the research when it comes to her garb. I like her as a character, and I agree that her affiliation with NXM is one reason she's likely been shelved, but it could also be a matter of Marvel not wanting to borrow trouble, especially after Kamala was so well received.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 01-23-2017 at 06:08 AM.

Yeah, just look at Jay Guthrie. I enjoy Yost and Kyle so much but that death just bothered me. I know Marvel wanted a death but I'm sad it was him.

And I thought also a little bit about what a poster above said..With Kamala they may feel the need not to push Sooraya more but damn that's unfair if the case. Dust has been around longer.

Since it does seem like Blue and Gold will be in same building anymore I assume she'd be around in the new school for Gold if they do decide to use her.

And yeah Chia Head.. they don't have to be friends or anything but I think seeing an interaction between Sooraya and Kamala would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Pretty much this. Any member of the NXM not named X-23 is pretty much there to be wallpaper these days, until they want to kill someone off that will generate a big audience reaction, but without having to sacrifice an A- or B-lister.
    I feel like thats only happened to Elixir (x2) and he's probably been targeted moreso because he is an omega healer.

Quote Originally Posted by ou·tré View Post
    I feel like thats only happened to Elixir (x2) and he's probably been targeted moreso because he is an omega healer.
    Wallflower also comes to mind. The whole 'meat sentinel' thing was incredibly bad taste IMO.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

They are all treated badly ever since the Schism basicly. May fans made clear they wanna see more of Hellion, Surge, Mercury, Dust, Rockslide, Armor and Indra and also every now and the for kids like Transonic, Match, Blindfold, Trance etcetera, but less than the ones earlier mentioned. But even though many would like to see focus on them, the X-office aint listening, they rather use lesser ones like Eyeboy, Benjamin Deeds and nature Girl, just to annoy us and then they will say: "Teen books don't work". Well, of course it won't work if you do not put popular kids in it.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    "Teen books don't work". Well, of course it won't work if you do not put popular kids in it.
    How long have the Titans been going now over in DC?

The ignore Mercury, Dust and Surge and then regressed Hellion from being 16-17 to being more 14-15 in WATX. He was unrecognizable except for his hands. His attitude and personality changed drastically. Rockslide got some panel time, but thats about it. Mercury did get some character development but mostly to provide Bling! a love interest (yet another suddenly gay character with non-gay history), but that got put to the back burner pretty quick. I don't think anyone expects them to get their own book, but they can at least be used in conjunction with the mainline X-Men. Best way to make a "teen book" or characters work is to develop them. Not throw them out into the woods and hope for the best.

The idea of team composition hasnt been embraced in the X-office for a while. They throw solos and random as hell rosters together and then blame us when it doesnt work. Why aren't Dazzler and Gambit included more often? They both have devoted niche' fans that will help push a team book. The New X-Men may not be able to carry a book on their own (I'd prefer it over the Gen-X we are getting...), but mix them into some rosters, I'd beat it'd make them look more interesting.

As for Dust, I will admit her powers and characteristics are a bit on the nose. Muslim character that transform into a sand-like substance and move through the air... Not the most eloquent of concepts.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 01-23-2017 at 07:04 AM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

BANNED

I agree with just about everything said here. It's obvious that the fans want the New X-men. Just based on what's happened to them, it makes for interesting reading aside from some decent power sets. I mean Eyeboy and Shark girl, and Snotboy and Nature Girl (even the names show a lack of creativity) along with the ugly stain left by Aaron and his WATX portrayal of Quire and everyone else, none of that makes for good reading. And I hate to be this way but I hope it fails. They know what the fans want and so they refuse to do it. You put out a team with Hellion, Surge, Dust, Mercury, Pixie, Laura(not all new wolverine), Rockslide and Elixir and that book would outsell all these other so called teen school books. I'd want this over the O5 for sure. The only reason people seem to read that now is because of Jean.

Unfortunately Dust isn't being used because that is what the people want and marvel has no interest in telling meaningful stories these days

Has Dust ever had a conversation with Ms. Marvel yet?

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    How long have the Titans been going now over in DC?

The ignore Mercury, Dust and Surge and then regressed Hellion from being 16-17 to being more 14-15 in WATX. He was unrecognizable except for his hands. His attitude and personality changed drastically. Rockslide got some panel time, but thats about it. Mercury did get some character development but mostly to provide Bling! a love interest (yet another suddenly gay character with non-gay history), but that got put to the back burner pretty quick. I don't think anyone expects them to get their own book, but they can at least be used in conjunction with the mainline X-Men. Best way to make a "teen book" or characters work is to develop them. Not throw them out into the woods and hope for the best.

The idea of team composition hasnt been embraced in the X-office for a while. They throw solos and random as hell rosters together and then blame us when it doesnt work. Why aren't Dazzler and Gambit included more often? They both have devoted niche' fans that will help push a team book. The New X-Men may not be able to carry a book on their own (I'd prefer it over the Gen-X we are getting...), but mix them into some rosters, I'd beat it'd make them look more interesting.

As for Dust, I will admit her powers and characteristics are a bit on the nose. Muslim character that transform into a sand-like substance and move through the air... Not the most eloquent of concepts.
    I think with X-men characters all of them are Bi until proven other wise i think that what they are doing with most X-men characters.