Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Dust may be "diverse", but she's also adheres somewhat to stereotype, even down to her powers, and artists can never be bothered to do the research when it comes to her garb. I like her as a character, and I agree that her affiliation with NXM is one reason she's likely been shelved, but it could also be a matter of Marvel not wanting to borrow trouble, especially after Kamala was so well received.
    She adhere's to a stereotype. And yes, you can't really fully develop Dust because she adhere's to a stereotype so much. Plus with Ms. Marvel as a breakthrough Muslim character written by a Muslim woman, there's no need to use Dust (who would invite trouble if she were broadly promoted).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    She adhere's to a stereotype. And yes, you can't really fully develop Dust because she adhere's to a stereotype so much. Plus with Ms. Marvel as a breakthrough Muslim character written by a Muslim woman, there's no need to use Dust (who would invite trouble if she were broadly promoted).
    OTOH, Dust offers a chance to present a positive depiction of a conservative Muslim woman who practices hijab. Something that I feel is sorely needed in the current climate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    OTOH, Dust offers a chance to present a positive depiction of a conservative Muslim woman who practices hijab. Something that I feel is sorely needed in the current climate.
    should they just have g willow wilson write Dust then?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Agreed, but that only works if Marvel is willing to actually put the effort in, as Wilson and Amanat did. When you can't even be assed to give the artist the reference tools to tell the difference between a burqa, hijab, etc. (and the writers didn't do enough research to know the difference anyway) or remind them that a modest Muslim girl probably isn't going to be wearing a full-body garment that clings to her figure like wet tissue, then what's the point?

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

I think Dust worked before they changed their "diversity" approach. They dont seem to know how to use her without being afraid of being called out for the stereotype. Using Willow, while on the nose, maybe the only way to probably portray her without the fear of backlash. The only other way to do it would be to change her sect from conservative, but that again can backfire on them. Question is, are they willing to invest the time and resources into such a venture, especially one involving the X-Men brand when they already have their poster girl Muslim character set, established and ready to go in Ms Marvel? Do they want to tell both sides of the Muslim coin? In essence, it's not much different than having a 7th Day Adventist Christian character and a Baptist Christian character. Same faith, different approaches. But in the long run, why bother when you have characters like Nightcrawler and Daredevil? Answer: not really worth it.

One wrong step, and I mean, ONE, and someone will email the nearest SJW website (because they don't read, so someone would have to tell them) and a turd storm will ensue. Marvel is pandering to that crowd more than ever right now. The last thing they want is someone blowing a whistle on them because of a misfire with a Muslim superhero wearing a burqa. In a perfect world, the Ms Marvel/ Dust interaction may interesting, even educational, and uplifting, but it might not be worth the chance of it going awry. I think Marvel may want to hide Dust more than use her in fear of kicking up a storm... no pun attended. I think it's more likely that Marvel would unearth characters like Neal (Thunderbird) and Omega Sentinel if they wanted to use a brown character in the X-Men, sadly.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 01-23-2017 at 08:49 AM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Has Dust ever had a conversation with Ms. Marvel yet?

Nope. I think the last time Dust had any dialogue was in Avengers Academy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    Nope. I think the last time Dust had any dialogue was in Avengers Academy.
    If Bendis can take goldballs out the Jean grey school and put him into mile's School Wilson should be allowed to take a teenage X-men that will most likely never be used to add to her story if she wants

Quote Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
    If Bendis can take goldballs out the Jean grey school and put him into mile's School Wilson should be allowed to take a teenage X-men that will most likely never be used to add to her story if she wants
    Agreed. That would be fitting. But Marvel is notorious for not letting writers use characters that may not even be in circulation. But you''re talking about Marvel bringing an X-Men brand character out of that little corner they stash them in.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Tbh the only time I thought Dust was interesting was in the WatXM cartoon and that was all power feats. She could've been a cool supporting character in Ms Marvel if she had some connection to Jersey, but otherwise linking her to Kamala seems a tad bit lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by ou·tré View Post
    Tbh the only time I thought Dust was interesting was in the WatXM cartoon and that was all power feats. She could've been a cool supporting character in Ms Marvel if she had some connection to Jersey, but otherwise linking her to Kamala seems a tad bit lazy.
    What are you talking about? Everyone from a specific ethnicity knows each other. Duuhh. Didn't you see that cover of Black Panther? We people of a particular color naturally gravitate toward no one another despite the barriers of location, time and culture. Silly people...
    Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by ou·tré View Post
    but why link goldballs to miles when he has no connection? and i am sure Wilson can find away to link them if she really wanted

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Luke Cage was a stereotype but they were able to change that. I dont see why Dust would be any different. I mentioned Kamala because she's a positive character and thought her popularity may rub off on Dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Chia Head View Post
    Luke Cage was a stereotype but they were able to change that. I dont see why Dust would be any different. I mentioned Kamala because she's a positive character and thought her popularity may rub off on Dust.
    You're not in the wrong to think that Kamala's popularity would rub off on Dust in a good way.. i want this to happen just to get the ball rolling so marvel can start thinking about bring back all the teenage new x-men back.

I was in the wolverine thread last week saying that Armor should be in OML and it would be great to have a story arc with her or make her a supporting character since no one is using her.
    Last edited by PSJ; 01-23-2017 at 04:13 PM.

BANNED

I would love to see an adventure where Kamala meets Dust at last and compare their own unique uprisings.

Incredible Member Elegant Dreamer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I would love to see an adventure where Kamala meets Dust at last and compare their own unique uprisings.
    I'll support this story.