Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Funny thing about the supposed fans of Ms Marvel and hailing Marvel for using a Muslim character... "A young, female, Muslim superhero that discovered powers that make even more different than she already is and now has to face the issues and complicated life that they with."

See that? Am I talking about Ms Marvel or Dust? The people that gave Marvel so many compliments aren't even aware of Dust. They aren't comic book readers. America Chavez isn't Marvel's first gay character and Captain Marvel (Danvers) has been uber powerful and an Avenger for the better part of 40 years. It's not until Marvel has the advertising dollars of Disney did anyone take notice. But as I said before, Marvel might not be able to get away with putting one of their only Muslim characters in a Barqa. Dust, while awesome, is from a less politically-sensitive era of Marvel comics.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 05-31-2017 at 07:32 PM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    But as I said before, Marvel might not be able to get away with putting one of their only Muslim characters in a Barqa. Dust, while awesome, is from a less plotically-sensitive era of Marvel comics.
    Honestly, that's why she SHOULD be featured more, to show that there's nothing inherently wrong with a devout, conservative Muslim woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Pretty much this. Any member of the NXM not named X-23 is pretty much there to be wallpaper these days, until they want to kill someone off that will generate a big audience reaction, but without having to sacrifice an A- or B-lister.
    Would you say rockslide broke through?

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Would you say rockslide broke through?
    Along with Anole. Who seems to be making it because a lot of comic writers like him. (he's a good character tho).

Prodigy makes it nowadays due to his Young Avengers days, and he should seriously be in Ultimates.

Surge, despite being primed as a leader, got pushed WAYYYYY back to background character status. It's hard when you have to tell people that the latest appearance of your favorite character was when they were playing basketball. Seriously, Sprite managed to make an appearance in Gen X #1 while Gentle fought in Gen X #2. And they were in the same basketball scene as Surge in X-Men Prime #1. It's like they really don't want to invest time in New X-Men.

I need more Sooraya!

Ultimate Member

Maybe some writers could see her as a character that it's very easy to go wrong with in how they portray her regardless of their intent...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Maybe some writers could see her as a character that it's very easy to go wrong with in how they portray her regardless of their intent...
    y favorite dust moment was when she came back to the academy and killed all the purifiers, so much for pacifism but she's a total bad-ass and saved the day

I hope we see her soon but I doubt it. Other then that Marquez art that meant nothing really.

Extraordinary Member

I meam, if she isn't around, then the writers can't hurt her. So I guess that's good.

I feel like this has more to do with the X-Office and their "bias" on New X-Men and the combination of Disney's ownership at the time before buying Fox.
    I come when there's something to take but I never give anything back.
    I know what you want. But it is not here. It's gone and it will never ever come again...

I am going to give a different answer Dust is gone as about just far as she can in her current incarnation. The only meaningful big impact direction would be go in direction that many people wouldn't like for the character which like Daredevil, Nightcrawler, Wolfsbane,etc leave their religion for a while. And her case that would be huge deal because her look and how she does things would be greatly affected. Dust is very tricky character because she can be a very good representation of a way of life but Dust can also be used as rejection of that way of life it would be pretty controversial to go in that direction. Dust can be a story of how one can be Sunni Muslim female and happy in that culture but Dust can also be story of female rejecting that culture. Give nature of the comics rejecting the culture is way with more drama thus more entertaining.

Obviously She is new X-man and the X-office does seem to want to push newer creations because of the older ones will get "too old" so that is primary reason. But secondary reason is what can you do with her storywise? Love story? She is conservative so it wouldn't be interesting unless it goes that different direction. Action story? She is kinda Pacifist. Is she visually interesting? She is wearing one giant black dress not too much different things you can with that. She doesn't have any special stand out skills I can remember like being super smart , pilot , lawyer or something which would let her show in stories for a different reason other than just powers. Just my thoughts I actually like the character fyi

Twitter/Social Media/Internet trolls.

Marvel was receiving backlash on the way she was drawn not to long ago and around about that time she stop appearing as often in the background as much in X-Books.

The hilariously sad thing about the situation is that she a character with great representation, interesting backstory, and super cool power set but the vocal few claiming to be "fighting the good fight" once again does more harm then good.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Twitter/Social Media/Internet trolls.

Marvel was receiving backlash on the way she was drawn not to long ago and around about that time she stop appearing as often in the background as much in X-Books.

The hilariously sad thing about the situation is that she a character with great representation, interesting backstory, and super cool power set but the vocal few claiming to be "fighting the good fight" once again does more harm then good.
    You aren't referring to people critiquing some artists that were drawing Sooraya's burka as skintight, are you?

If only she had half the writers who like QQ or Glob she could have more appearances.

If it's a consolation many fans would like to see her in Champions or in Ms Marvel. I would also like to see her next to Laura more often.
    Last edited by Knives; 11-16-2018 at 06:15 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Knives' answer is more on-point. The favoritism died off.

The Twitter outrage came out after that since she got dumped after Schism.