Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Knives' answer is more on-point. The favoritism died off.

The Twitter outrage came out after that since she got dumped after Schism.
    There have been many requests for her and other New X-men characters to appear on All New Wolverine. I do not even need to say that all the requests were ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    You aren't referring to people critiquing some artists that were drawing Sooraya's burka as skintight, are you?
    No, but that can be added in as well. To many conflicting routes making Dust to much trouble then it's worth for Marvel.

I think they should just decide what direction they want to take her in, come up with a good story, and ignore the noise. Business that tend to listen to others instead of doing what they believe is best for their business tend to do poorly over the long run.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

BANNED

Don't writers get a portion of a character every time they're used? or does it depend on the contract?

So Kyle/Yost/Morrison might get money every time the younger gen are in a book.

Honestly I think that it's just that they have way too many characters again and can't fit them all in to every book. Looking at that big promo picture with all of the characters for Uncanny reboot she's in there which is a good sign, and the fact there are plenty of notable absences is also interesting.

I could absolutely see them clean up the roster this year and it's possible Dust is on that kill list, but honestly I think it has more to do with her power being too convenient. Hard to put her into too many scary situations that she can't get out of. Whenever they need a storyline to have some element of scary, I notice that they exclude anyone who can just easily escape from harm.

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    Honestly I think that it's just that they have way too many characters again and can't fit them all in to every book. Looking at that big promo picture with all of the characters for Uncanny reboot she's in there which is a good sign, and the fact there are plenty of notable absences is also interesting.

I could absolutely see them clean up the roster this year and it's possible Dust is on that kill list, but honestly I think it has more to do with her power being too convenient. Hard to put her into too many scary situations that she can't get out of. Whenever they need a storyline to have some element of scary, I notice that they exclude anyone who can just easily escape from harm.

I agree to a point. I believe they have found themselves in a similar boat to where they were with right before House of M/198. Too many characters.

I don't think Dust needs to be on the kill list though, I think if there is a culling, she will survive. That doesn't mean she'll get used any more. I think Nori and Sooraya are really great characters that balance and contrast each other. Sooraya's voice is respectful, but realistic. She's also easy to point out in a crowd, so that counts for something.

Also, her powers do make it easy for her to avoid damage. So she's often not in 'life-threatening' situations. However she can be ambushed, or threatened by many elements (wind, fire, water) or confined (Xorn in New X-men). I don't think that's a reason she isn't used. If writers didn't want to write around these types of abilities, then why is Kitty always being used?
    Psylocke Captain Britain Rictor Dust Moonstar Hellion

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    No, but that can be added in as well. To many conflicting routes making Dust to much trouble then it's worth for Marvel.

I think they should just decide what direction they want to take her in, come up with a good story, and ignore the noise. Business that tend to listen to others instead of doing what they believe is best for their business tend to do poorly over the long run.
    Considering that drawing the burka that way is disrespecting what the burka represents, I think people are fair in wanting to call out artists.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Considering that drawing the burka that way is disrespecting what the burka represents, I think people are fair in wanting to call out artists.
    It's on both sides. I'm not getting in this debate here.

The point is Dust was becoming more trouble then she's worth. You fix one thing you get noise from one side and if you go back to fix another it's the same.

Can she be used effectively? Yes. But to do so Marvel either has to stop focusing on the overly vocal and start focusing on telling good stories. Or use the character sparingly and pray that they don't step on someone's toes.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 11-16-2018 at 09:43 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    It's on both sides. I'm not getting in this debate here.

The point is Dust was becoming more trouble then she's worth. You fix one thing you get noise from one side and if you go back to fix another it's the same.

Can she be used effectively? Yes. But to do so Marvel either has to stop focusing on the overly vocal and start focusing on telling good stories. Or use the character sparingly and pray that they don't step on someone's toes.
    When the vocal crowd is lead by those who DON'T read the books and take issue with who the leads are-it doesn't matter if the story is good or not.

If writers didn't want to write around these types of abilities, then why is Kitty always being used?
    We all know the classic and offensive mindset when it comes to POC-"we got insert POC name and don't need insert a different POC name."

So guest who become obsolete. Never mind Kitty & Sandman are running around.

I was hoping she'd pop up as Laura's housemate in All new Wolverine/X-23.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I meam, if she isn't around, then the writers can't hurt her. So I guess that's good.
    Sad that we have to think that way isn't it? There's some REALLY shitty writers who think looking and doing "Kewl" things is more important than character development.

Has Dust ever been depicted without her traditional attire (not unclothed)-- like, in her private quarters, before she goes out?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Has Dust ever been depicted without her traditional attire (not unclothed)-- like, in her private quarters, before she goes out?
    A few times, yes. She and her mother spoke in private without their hijab during the Hellions miniseries, and the occasional scene with Laura during KYost's NXM.

Part of it is her status as a burqa/niqab wearing muslim woman and that's harder to really understand if you're not in the culture. Granted within the american muslim community wearing a burqa isn't that common unless you are super-conservative and from the middle east. Most women tend to just wear a hijab and avoid revealing/tight clothing rather commiting to a burqa/niqab.

Dragonschi touched on the potential backlash which i can see them not wanting to get. Kamala and other characters are just less risky to use.

Outside of her cultural baggage, Dust is rather one-note and often gets overshadowed by other characters. So she's probably a character people know of and like but not love enough to really use. Which is the catch-22 of Marvel/DC's more lesser known/minority characters.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-17-2018 at 07:31 PM.

I’m sure it’s been mentioned upthread that abas, niqabs, and hijab clothing are tough to draw dynamically. I’ll agree to that, as I’m a shitty artist and I can barely draw a cape that looks good. Western art disciplines that stress anatomy leave artists cutting corners when it comes to loose garments and draped fabrics. Dust is a huge challenge unless you’re an established illustrator with a popular style that affords you to draw clothing quickly and dynamically.

I don't think there is a particularly deep and meaningful reason. For the most part, the younger students aren't getting the same focus they did a few years ago, as the line has shifted back to featuring the older, more classic team. Dust is part of that group. It would be weird if she was the only one who wasn't being used regularly, but almost all of them aren't.