Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    DC Comics Historian

Default Why is Superman holding the truth about Flashpoint/Convergence back?

Does anyone else kind of feel that especially now that Bruce, Wally, and Barry are all aware of a conspiracy to warp the timestream that it's kind of pointless for Superman to not tell the league or at the very least Bruce, Diana, and the Flashes what he knows? I mean, I am sure in Superman Reborn something will come up because it seems to center around Oz but I just don't understand why Clark is so apprehensive about telling the before mentioned allies what is really going on.

I wonder if the writers feel they have written themselves into a corner? With Superman meeting Wally and both know about Pre-Flashpoint and Batman hunting Psycho Pirate it just seems silly that we haven't quite all gotten on the same page. I hope it comes sooner rather than later.

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

I'm not sure what it is Superman knows, actually. As far as I know, he thinks he's from another universe and that's that. Admittedly, I haven't read the Superbooks since "Last Days" (except for the ongoing multiplicity arc in Superman), so I could be wrong and he knows more than that.

DC Comics Historian

It looks like TRINITY #8 may be the place we finally get some answers as well of course SUPERMAN REBORN. I am all over that crossover.

TRINITY #8
    Written by CULLEN BUNN • Art by EMANUELA LUPACCHINO and RAY McCARTHY • Cover by CLAY MANN • Variant cover by BILL SIENKIEWICZ
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
    A “Superman: Reborn Aftermath” tie-in! In this essential chapter of the “Superman Reborn Aftermath” epic, Kal-El reveals to Batman and Wonder Woman what had happened to him—and how they all may be in danger!
    On sale APRIL 19 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

With Superman Reborn rewriting Superman's history, they probably didn't have Clark bring up the Convergence stuff because that really isn't going to matter. He likely isn't going to have been domed up for a year or more, then time traveled back to the Earth's past. That's all going to be wiped out. I mean, yeah realistically it is odd how he never brought it up to anyone, but I'm guessing internally that's the reason it never became an issue.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    With Superman Reborn rewriting Superman's history, they probably didn't have Clark bring up the Convergence stuff because that really isn't going to matter. He likely isn't going to have been domed up for a year or more, then time traveled back to the Earth's past. That's all going to be wiped out. I mean, yeah realistically it is odd how he never brought it up to anyone, but I'm guessing internally that's the reason it never became an issue.
    Where has there been any indication that this is the direction the story will take? Or that Superman Reborn is going to "rewrite" history?

The solicits have all but spelled out his history is changing. The Action#978 solicit being the most cut and dry: " Superman’s life has been changed, some good is back, but the bad is back as well—with a vengeance!"

Reborn is reincorporating him within the Earth's history either how it is, or maybe even go further and have him be the first character reincorporated as it should be. Either way, no more temporal refugee.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-24-2017 at 04:10 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fantastic Member

The solicits have all but spelled out his history is changing. The Action#978 solicit being the most cut and dry: " Superman’s life has been changed, some good is back, but the bad is back as well—with a vengeance!"

Reborn is reincorporating him within the Earth's history either how it is, or maybe even go further and have him be the first character reincorporated as it should be. Either way, no more temporal refugee.
    My mistake - I thought I missed something definitive, not a personal interpretation.

The only thing up for personal interpretation is exactly what is changed. But the soiclits and the images give pretty big clues. But if you want absolutely definitive that of course won't come for two months when the changes are actually put into effect.

DC Comics Historian

I am not asking them to bring up the Convergence stuff even though Batman and the Watchtower saw BattleWorld come into the Universe. I want him to explain the world he comes from to them. I want him and Bruce to get together with Diana, Barry, and Wally and have a heart to heart about what's really going on. Batman is after psycho-pirate and that may play into the Three Jokers. I guess I don't understand why Superman is so untrusting of the people he knows are good people through and through.

DC Comics Historian

Yeah, this is interesting. I had a thread out before wondering if the New 52 and Post Crisis Superman were going to merge. I still think this is very much a possibility. He may get his memories altered similar to Flashpoint and Barry as well as get to keep his own memories. This story is going to be pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by theonetruebatman View Post
    It looks like TRINITY #8 may be the place we finally get some answers as well of course SUPERMAN REBORN. I am all over that crossover.

TRINITY #8
    Written by CULLEN BUNN • Art by EMANUELA LUPACCHINO and RAY McCARTHY • Cover by CLAY MANN • Variant cover by BILL SIENKIEWICZ
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
    A “Superman: Reborn Aftermath” tie-in! In this essential chapter of the “Superman Reborn Aftermath” epic, Kal-El reveals to Batman and Wonder Woman what had happened to him—and how they all may be in danger!
    On sale APRIL 19 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
    Cullen Bunn huh? I didn't know he wrote for DC, but I love his X-Men stuff. Ima check this, thank you
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

The only thing up for personal interpretation is exactly what is changed. But the soiclits and the images give pretty big clues. But if you want absolutely definitive that of course won't come for two months when the changes are actually put into effect.
    I'm guessing that perhaps next month, *if* Jurgens actually reveals anything about the non-powered CK in that Action Comics arc. Solicitations could of course be complete BS, though.

Spectacular Member MikefromGotham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 666MasterOfPuppets View Post
    I'm not sure what it is Superman knows, actually. As far as I know, he thinks he's from another universe and that's that. Admittedly, I haven't read the Superbooks since "Last Days" (except for the ongoing multiplicity arc in Superman), so I could be wrong and he knows more than that.
    So Superman doesn't remember Convergence? Is that right, been said in his books? I haven't been reading them. The current Multiversity storyline in Superman is pretty fun, he has said "multiverse...yeah I'm familiar with it"...but it seems like he is holding back. Shouldn't he remember everything?

Spectacular Member MikefromGotham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theonetruebatman View Post
    I am not asking them to bring up the Convergence stuff even though Batman and the Watchtower saw BattleWorld come into the Universe. I want him to explain the world he comes from to them. I want him and Bruce to get together with Diana, Barry, and Wally and have a heart to heart about what's really going on. Batman is after psycho-pirate and that may play into the Three Jokers. I guess I don't understand why Superman is so untrusting of the people he knows are good people through and through.
    All good points, I agree totally. I guess with all the reality changes, time traveling, etc...he only trusts Lois completely at this point. Trinity has shown how Bruce and Clark aren't on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by MikefromGotham View Post
    So Superman doesn't remember Convergence? Is that right, been said in his books? I haven't been reading them. The current Multiversity storyline in Superman is pretty fun, he has said "multiverse...yeah I'm familiar with it"...but it seems like he is holding back. Shouldn't he remember everything?
    Well, unless Johns already has some massive retconning already in the works, he should remember. But as far as he knows, he was taken from his universe and released into another.