Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Default "Civil War" isn't that awesome a film; am I alone in thinking this?

Well aware that it's not a popular opinion, I can't help but look at "Civil War" as a cinematic transition piece. Standalone I think it's one of the MCU's weaker entries. I could really wax verbose on it's failings, but I'll just share an article's link here:

Marvel's Film Adaptation of "Civil War" Isn't That Marvelous.

Sorry, not sorry.

And if you wonder why I'm so harsh, it has a bit to do with the critically poor reception of DC's films. I liked all the films, but I feel as the criticism is overly harsh on DC's film offerings.

P.S. I'm so geeked to have discovered this fan forum page! Time to let the geek flag fly!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBeau View Post
    And if you wonder why I'm so harsh, it has a bit to do with the critically poor reception of DC's films. I liked all the films, but I feel as the criticism is overly harsh on DC's film offerings.
    I mean... It's kinda hard to really take your points about Civil War that seriously when you just admitted that. At least you're honest about it though.

No you are not.

I think Civil War is a great movie. But some of the flaws are a little obvious, mostly Zemo's plan. Other than that, I think the film is fine

Yep, you are so alone in thinking the movie wasn't good than you found another article on the internet stating it wasn't all that

lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I agree Zemo's plan was stupid and I really wanted him to be in costume but everything was so awesome I was more than happy to let it slide

All-New Member

It's my article.

All-New Member

So admitting it makes my points less valid? I'd argue to the contrary. My critical approach as objective and fair; Marvel's missteps are given free passes while DCEU's slightest moment of non-perfection is heralded as the reason why DC's films are all epic fails.

Anyone can be a contrarian on the internet.

Any time anyone asks some variation of "am I the only one who thinks this?", the answer is always no.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I think Zemo's plan makes sense, but the audience doesn't know what he's really trying to do until the end, which then makes it look nonsensical.

I need to watch it again though.

A lot of confusion I see involves the end where the big reveal happens and it relies on Tony being there. And while I think the movie certainly needs the events to happen the way they did, Zemo's plan doesn't require it, and I think he views it more as an excellent convenience of timing.

I liked zemo's plan. I really like the idea of a villain without superpowers and not even that smart just being clever and manipulating the heroes to fight themselves.

My favorite line of the movie is at the end when Zemo is caught and that official is taunting him. "How does it feel to know you've lost?" And Zemo simply says "Have I?" and smiles. NOW THAT was creepy. lol
    Last edited by Wissenschaft; 01-24-2017 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBeau View Post
    So admitting it makes my points less valid? I'd argue to the contrary. My critical approach as objective and fair; Marvel's missteps are given free passes while DCEU's slightest moment of non-perfection is heralded as the reason why DC's films are all epic fails.
    I don't think it would make your point less valid as much as it would imply there is some bias to it. Some people would assume, based on your admission, that your opinion comes from an inferiority complex that's being overcompensated for. Not that I'm saying that's what it is, just what it may be interpreted as. Welcome to the forums though, all opinions welcome.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Mighty Member

From a plot point, Civil War is actually not great when you try to piece things together. In fact, it suffres from some of the structural problems I had with BvS. That being said, here's the thing: While Civil War is not a great film, its a damn fun one. I've had 8 years to get to know these people and their motivations, and because of that, even if thte plot doesn't make a lot of sense, because I actually care about the characters. The problem with BvS is that it's a joyless film that acts like a 12 year old pretending be an adult and saps any enjoyment I made of had that would make me overlook it's shortcomings, and instead forced me to focus on them and enjoy it even less.

TL;DR, Civil War isn't a great film, but it's a super fun hero beat-em up to watch.

BANNED

I also think that Zemo's "plan" is more him having a broad outline of what he wants to to, and a lot of making it up as he goes along, and not some insanely intricate mastermind plan that was worked out to the last detail from the beginning and which would have made Batman green with envy if it had actually worked.

Mighty Member

I watched it again on Netflix with the ending in mind...His plan is kind of insane in the sense that he needs to have known everything that was going to happen before it happened (i.e., he had two years to plan this out and execute it, but for his plans to work he would have had to know about the accords, which didn't even come into existence until this movie.)

But again, when you're enjoying yourself, you're much more willing to give a movie a pass on things such as this.