Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Not only did Ant-Man not get development this kind of ruins his story now. He had a happy ending where he gets to be free and spend time with his daughter again...And now he's a fugitive again and she'll never see him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    The plan still works if the Accords don't exist and he just emails Stark the video. Well, it didn't actually work in the movie... so there's that.

There are many ways that lead to Cap and Stark duking it out over Bucky, and the movie does not convince me that Zemo has this one masterplan that you just detailed.
    Apparently to some people, the only people who can do successful improvisations of plans are the good guys.

BANNED

I thought it was great.

It seemed to me that Zemo's plan was 2 parts and pretty simple. He hated the Avengers and wanted to end them. He also knew that the proof he needed was in that soviet bunker that only the Winter Soldier knew how to get in. The purpose of the bombing was to drive Bucky out of hiding, and into a position where he could confront Bucky, say the keywords and learn what he needed to know. The Avengers being driven apart, the accords, killing t'chacka, they were all ancillary or coincidental. What he wanted was that footage of Bucky killing the Starks. With that evidence, he could turn Iron Man against Cap and the Avengers would dissolve. Everything he did in the movie was in service of finding and getting in that bunker. It wasn't an especially grandiose plan, but I didn't find it convoluted.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBeau View Post
    Well aware that it's not a popular opinion, I can't help but look at "Civil War" as a cinematic transition piece. Standalone I think it's one of the MCU's weaker entries. I could really wax verbose on it's failings, but I'll just share an article's link here:

Marvel's Film Adaptation of "Civil War" Isn't That Marvelous.

Sorry, not sorry.

And if you wonder why I'm so harsh, it has a bit to do with the critically poor reception of DC's films. I liked all the films, but I feel as the criticism is overly harsh on DC's film offerings.

P.S. I'm so geeked to have discovered this fan forum page! Time to let the geek flag fly!

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Yep, you are so alone in thinking the movie wasn't good than you found another article on the internet stating it wasn't all that

lol
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyBeau View Post
    It's my article.
    I find this hilarious. Why not just say upfront "Hey, here's a review I wrote." rather than making it sound like "Hey, I have this crazy, unpopular opinion but here's this review that articulates it! Check it out!" *pause* "Uh...oh yeah, I actually wrote that article myself."

Add to that the fact that you admit you're just suffering from butt hurt because you feel people don't give DC movies enough credit and, really, what more is there left to say?

Except "Good luck to BvS at the Razzie's!"

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...e_nominations/

While it was a spectacle to see the big battle, it just didn't make any sense. The entire airport fight scene made no sense.

I've watched it again recently and was left empty this time around. I couldn't make any plausible sense of what I was watching. There was this big knocked-down, drag-out fight and then it just ends. It ends with apologies and "aw shucks". What was the point?

If anyone on the internet asks "Am I alone in this...?", "Am I the only one who thinks...?" or any other variety of these questions, the answer is always no. This is the internet. You will always find someone who agrees with you and will always find someone who disagrees with you.

On topic, No I don't think Civil War's reception is undeserved. It's one of the best comic book movies and deserves all the praise it's getting.

The most frequently pointed out "flaw" about this movie: Zemo's plan didn't make any sense.
    Not to excuse this movie, but when does the movie mastermind's plan ever make sense? It nearly always relies on plot holes, coincidences and some impossible knowledge. Does Joker's plan make sense in TDK? The whole Ocean's trilogy. Would those plans and heists really work?
    Again, I'm not excusing this movie, but if this is the best flaw people can find, then every single heist movie ever made falls apart.

EDIT: Agreeing with some people here. While CW is great, WS is better.
    Last edited by SpiderClops; 01-25-2017 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    If anyone on the internet asks "Am I alone in this...?", "Am I the only one who thinks...?" or any other variety of these questions, the answer is always no. This is the internet. You will always find someone who agrees with you and will always find someone who disagrees with you.
    Most probably know, but choose to use that phrase anyway so like-minded people are more encouraged to speak up and support them.

As for the movie, haven't seen it yet.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    It seemed to me that Zemo's plan was 2 parts and pretty simple. He hated the Avengers and wanted to end them. He also knew that the proof he needed was in that soviet bunker that only the Winter Soldier knew how to get in. The purpose of the bombing was to drive Bucky out of hiding, and into a position where he could confront Bucky, say the keywords and learn what he needed to know. The Avengers being driven apart, the accords, killing t'chacka, they were all ancillary or coincidental. What he wanted was that footage of Bucky killing the Starks. With that evidence, he could turn Iron Man against Cap and the Avengers would dissolve. Everything he did in the movie was in service of finding and getting in that bunker. It wasn't an especially grandiose plan, but I didn't find it convoluted.
    The bolded part exactly.

Zemo's plan wasn't grandiose and it wasn't really behind many events of the movie that drove the plot forward.

Honestly, i'm not conviced that the character had some brilliant and elaborate master plan that some folks suggest he did.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    A remarkable coincidence that their just happened to be a camera located at the precise location of the Starks crashed vehicle and pointed at the very angle where which records Bucky killing the Starks. Also coincidence that HYDRA somehow came in possession of the tape and somehow Zemo, who is not a member of HYDRA but a regular Sokovian soldier, discovered it's existence and knew to play it at the secret bunker in Russia, in front of Cap, Iron Man and Bucky.

What broke the Avengers up were the Accords and their disagreements on them. Not Zemo's plan. Which was nonsensical and like he read the script. The only thing that didn't go his way was his suicide attempt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    A remarkable coincidence that their just happened to be a camera located at the precise location of the Starks crashed vehicle and pointed at the very angle where which records Bucky killing the Starks.
    Come on, it's a common trope. Everything is on camera.

Also coincidence that HYDRA somehow came in possession of the tape...
    Bucky saw the camera, retrieved the tape, and gave it to his controllers, Hydra. Dead simple.

...and somehow Zemo, who is not a member of HYDRA but a regular Sokovian soldier, discovered it's existence and knew to play it at the secret bunker in Russia, in front of Cap, Iron Man and Bucky...
    He didn't know about the tape. He did strongly suspect, but not actually know, that Bucky has assassinated the Starks, and set out looking for actual evidence, which he found.
    What broke the Avengers up were the Accords and their disagreements on them.
    I did not get the impression at the end of the movie that the Avengers are actually broken up.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I did not get the impression at the end of the movie that the Avengers are actually broken up.
    Cap, Falcon, Clint Barton, Wanda, and -ant-man (although he was really never an avenger) are all outlaws now, Black Widow as well, Rhodey is out of commission, Thord and Hulk are both missing leaving Iron Man and Vision as the sole remaining Avengers...How are they not broken up?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    Cap, Falcon, Clint Barton, Wanda, and -ant-man (although he was really never an avenger) are all outlaws now, Black Widow as well, Rhodey is out of commission, Thord and Hulk are both missing leaving Iron Man and Vision as the sole remaining Avengers...How are they not broken up?
    Because Cap, Falcon, Clint Barton, Wanda, and Ant-Man are still a team, Thor isn't even missing, he's just gone home for a bit, and Stark is just a phonecall away if his last scene in the movie is any indication. And the Vision will go wherever Wanda (and Thor) go if pressed.

Them being outlaws and not currently living in the same place doesn't make them broken up.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Zemo and Lex both had insanely convoluted plans. Both of which (Zemo's moreso) were executed to near perfection due to coincidence, convenience, and both villains somehow knowing how a respective character (or group of characters) would react.

Civil War was good. TWS is better though.
    This. I thought Winter Soldier was much better and was slightly let down by Civil War but I still found it entertaining. Since the OP mentions the DC movies, without getting into a very deep comparison I thought Dawn of Justice was a bit of a dreary mess. I liked Wonder Woman's introduction but there could have been a bit more with her IMO.

I think Marvel Studios is miles ahead of the DC movies in bringing their universe to the screen. DC movies seem to lean a lot on Batman, much like their comic book line does. I don't usually like Scott Lang Ant Man in the comics but I liked how he and Spider-Man interacted with the bigger guns of the Avengers Team. The actors are well cast and bounce off each other very well. They do need another big villain. Loki's been a lot of fun and I am still a bit on the fence deciding if Ultron was carried out successfully or not. They've been teasing Thanos for a while now. I hope it pays off (although I'd rather see Doom, naturally )

I personally didn't enjoy the Civil War. I found it boring. I really enjoyed the first two Captain America movies though.