Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Default X-POSITION: IvX’s Soule Explores Mutant and Inhuman Perspectives

http://www.cbr.com/x-position-ivx-charles-soule/

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but I wasn't finding it. Anyway, I wanted to thank Mr. Soule for answering my questions, even if he didn't actually answer my questions.

The first:
    As the one who detonated the Terrigen bomb and released the mists into the atmosphere, how come we’ve never seen how Black Bolt feels regarding the mutant plight he created? Or, for that matter, how he feels about killing “Cyclops.”
    And the answer:
    I think we have seen it — but since Black Bolt doesn’t talk, you don’t know what he’s thinking when he takes action. I think his renunciation of the New Attilan throne back in my “Inhuman” series with Ryan Stegman was a direct acknowledgment that some of the choices he’d made were perhaps a little dicey, and if you look at “Uncanny Inhumans” #17 you’ll see more.
    First, him renouncing the throne in Inhuman occurred before editorial decided that the mists should be poisonous to mutants. That decision had nothing to do with mutants: his renouncing the throne was related to the damage he felt he'd caused (or rather, that Medusa made him realized he'd caused) to Inhumanity.

Second, a "wait-and-see." Coulda been worse.

As for the second question:
    Was Cyclops originally going to play a much larger (or even active) role in “Uncanny Inhumans”? I ask because the “Things to Come” image from issue #0 seemed to imply (based on the fact that he takes up almost a third of it) that he was going to be a big part of the series. If so, how did those plans change into what we eventually got in “Death of X”? I know that’s probably inside baseball, but you can’t blame a guy for trying.
    And the answer:
    Cyclops’ shadow looms large over “Uncanny Inhumans,” because of the events of “Death of X.” Everything I did in that series (along with [Steve] McNiven and all my other amazing collaborators) was, in some way, done under the shadow of what was to come in “IvX.”
    And that pretty much feels like a cop-out. Ok, maybe not a cop-out, but not the kind of answer I was looking for, though I admit the answer I was looking for likely won't come out until years from now, when all this stuff won't matter anymore.

The only other thing I want to mention is this bit...
    ...genocide is a crime, and crimes require intent, or reasonable anticipation of harm...
    I know Mr. Soule worked in law, but not all crimes require intent. If I get drunk, drive home, and kill 3 pedestrians, then I'm charged for vehicular homicide, involuntary manslaughter or any other number of crimes. Sure, I didn't mean to kill them or have the intent to, but I still did. Heck, I technically didn't kill them: the car did. I was just the one behind the wheel.

So, to connect the dots, Black Bolt is me, the cloud is the car and the pedestrians are innocent mutant bystanders. It still has a direct linkage to Black Bolt, i.e. he's responsible.

And I say that as a huge fan of Black Bolt.

Still, much better than his last interview. Thanks again, Mr. Soule!
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Not a single peanut question was asked, haha.

Re: his answer about the cloud not being genocida and the Inhumans didn't know blah blah.. That ignores the fact that the Inhumans actively worked to prevent the mutants from destroying the cloud, thus enabling genocide. That makes them culpable.

BANNED

Yeah, I'm getting the impression that creators are... almost as ready to move on, in some cases, as the fans are.

Man, more so than ever lately, it seems like ResurrXion REALLY can't get here soon enough!

He completely ignored the part of my question about which peanut butter brand forms the Terrigen Cloud! BLASPHEMY!
    Also, I find it funny that he says not all Inhumans love Terrigen answer a question about justifying why Synapse, Moon Girl and Kamala side with the royals for the sole reason of being Inhumans
    Last edited by Agronac919; 01-25-2017 at 10:19 AM.

I've been looking forward to this. I had a feeling CBR would have to be very careful with the questions they selected. The thread on this board was just full of remarks about how the answers in his last X-POSITION were insufficient. That thread just made me hungry for peanuts really.

This is really one of those issues that neither Soule nor anyone else involved in this book can address. I get the feeling a lot of it had to be forced. I think it's obvious in the shift from "Cyclops is the most awful person to ever live" to "we more Cyclops' death, but we don't really agree with his tactics." There was definitely some editing going on behind the scenes. I don't think the story that Soule, Lemire, Bunn, and Hopeless originally planned actually played out in the comics. Along the line, somebody demanded tweaks to the plot and that's why there are so many disconnects.

I think Soule and Lemire were given an impossible task here and they're doing everything they can with what they have. It's not much, but I am glad they're resolving this plot. This is one of those events that just can't end fast enough. It's done nothing but pit fans against one another with talks of genocide, sacred clouds, and psychic illusions. There's enough of that on the internet as it stands. My only hope for this event is that X-men fans and Racist Xenophobic Slave-Owner fans can go back to their respective books and not have to butt heads so much.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Soule is aware of everything but he can not answer certain things without admitting that they had to change their plans or the plot of the inhuman mist ended up damaging the image of the inhumans more than they expected.

Considering that he ignored the whole situation involving the mutants and the mist in Uncanny Inhumans it is difficult to take his answers seriously about the royalty.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I've been looking forward to this. I had a feeling CBR would have to be very careful with the questions they selected. The thread on this board was just full of remarks about how the answers in his last X-POSITION were insufficient. That thread just made me hungry for peanuts really.

This is really one of those issues that neither Soule nor anyone else involved in this book can address. I get the feeling a lot of it had to be forced. I think it's obvious in the shift from "Cyclops is the most awful person to ever live" to "we more Cyclops' death, but we don't really agree with his tactics." There was definitely some editing going on behind the scenes. I don't think the story that Soule, Lemire, Bunn, and Hopeless originally planned actually played out in the comics. Along the line, somebody demanded tweaks to the plot and that's why there are so many disconnects.

I think Soule and Lemire were given an impossible task here and they're doing everything they can with what they have. It's not much, but I am glad they're resolving this plot. This is one of those events that just can't end fast enough. It's done nothing but pit fans against one another with talks of genocide, sacred clouds, and psychic illusions. There's enough of that on the internet as it stands. My only hope for this event is that X-men fans and Racist Xenophobic Slave-Owner fans can go back to their respective books and not have to butt heads so much.
    The terrigen cloud gets destroyed at the end of the series, and the Inhumans go off to space. So X-Men and Inhuman fans will be going back to their respective books.

Well, at least this time, there wasnt a "It's just a peanut allergy" type of answer.

Looks like Magneto was sent to his bed without dinner.

Pretty funny.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    Looks like Magneto was sent to his bed without dinner.

Pretty funny.
    He also makes me think of the Terror from the animated Tick.

Is that Mosaic Magneto?

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Is that Mosaic Magneto?
    Yes. And maybe also the "X-Man who switches sides".

We should have just ALL asked peanut questions so that CBR wouldn't have anything else to pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    We should have just ALL asked peanut questions so that CBR wouldn't have anything else to pick.
    This should be mandatory for the nonsensical answers.

what's up with that humiliating magneto sequence? is that a page from deadpool?