Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Sharp has been getting worse. The Hippolyta scene was good, the rest of it seemed rushed. Following WW Rebirth is like watching Lost all over again, more questions and zero answers. I am not a fan of the slow grind of Rucka's writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I think I'm wrong about the female Minister Blizzard...wrong costume.

Somebody want to tell me who the chick is in the 'Cap'n Crunch' outfit, who's chewing out Doctor Poison? Does anybody know?
    It seems to be Dr. Cyber. She appeared as a hologram there, so she can change her looks anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Did anyone else notice that the clinic where Diana is staying changed from Nightingale Hospital to Nightsong Hospital? Was that just a mistake or a clue? Why did Diana's doctor Barnett look so specific and why did she slowly take off her glasses/disguise and reach for the sunlight when he spoke to her? I'm almost sure I'm reading too much into it, but that's part of the joy of Rucka's writing and Sharp's art.
    Yes!!! The Nightingale/Nightsong thing bugged me a little. I think it's a mistake from the person who puts the letters and dialogues? I can't think of any reason for the hospital to change its name.

I'm hopping Dr. Barnett is Dr. Psycho. His design is so good, and having that nice guy face would make him even more unique. And a Dr. Psycho being a psychiatrist... well, it makes sense. Sharp said that the villain is coming back in a different way, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Fantastic issue! So many classic villains finally getting their due, so many old friends coming back to the fore. Loved it!

In fairness, Azz did the same thing with Diana in his run. There were entire issues that were basically just "Gods standing around and punning a whole lot." Diana's presence was minimal to nonexistent in several issues.

So, it's not without precedent. Not saying it's a good or desirable thing, but it's a thing nonetheless. The pro-Azz crowd always had a pretty good counter-argument when we complained about Azz doing this. That argument was that it doesn't matter if Diana is barely in the issue, she's still the central topic of discussion. Yeah, other characters were on stage more than she was, but they were still, largely, discussing her. She's still the central and most important character, even when she's not onscreen.
    I see. I'll leave it to those who read Azzarello to debate how well he pulled that off.

But the more I think about this latest issue, the more it seems padded. I mean, Diana got seven pages but what happened only needed about three. That's four additional pages that could have advanced the story and given us more for our $2.99.

Too many splash pages or pages devoted to two panels. (I'm not really pointing my finger at Rucka & company, though. I guess he's just working within the dictates of the business model---i.e., making these arcs fit into trades.)
    Last edited by Largo161; 01-26-2017 at 07:48 AM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I see. I'll leave it to those who read Azzarello to debate how well he pulled that off.

But the more I think about this latest issue, the more it seems padded. I mean, Diana got seven pages but what happened only needed about three. That's four additional pages that could have advanced the story and given us more for our $2.99.

Too many splash pages or pages devoted to two panels. (I'm not really pointing my finger at Rucka & company, though. I guess he's just working within the dictates of the business model---i.e., making these arcs fit into trades.)
    Oh, I agree with that, for the most part.

Comics used to be thick with story and character development. Heck, Perez told the entire origin story for the Amazons and Diana in a single issue. One issue and you knew everything you needed to know about Diana and the world from which she comes.

I miss those days. Yeah, splash pages and super-detailed art are pretty to behold, but they cut WAY back on storytelling, which is another reason why comics today don't seem to measure up to their predecessors. Yesterday, I re-read my TPB of the Infinity War event, and I am consistently blown away by how much story there is in that single book, collecting a handful of issues. That book reads like epic poetry, and nothing in modern comics can compare to it.

I definitely want to see comics get back to focusing on story over special effects.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Thats kinda the bad news, this issue was the first of 'The Truth'. 'Lies' has ended and so has 'Year One' and we still don't know what Cale actually wants...
    I dunno, it's reasonable to have "The Lies" reveal the lies and "The Truth" reveal the truth

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    This was stellar. I love that to date, Godwatch is made up of only women. An evil super-villain all-women society! YES. Wonder Woman should definitely be pro-female supervillains. I mean there'll always be the villainous alpha-male misogyny angle but come on, this should be the place where we get are first proper A-List "ALL LADIES VILLAIN TEAM".
    Lol Gotham City Sirens? Though yeah, those were more anti-heroines and the protagonists of their own stories while I guess you are referring to a full-fledged villains group teaming up to make life miserable for the hero ala Sinister Six and Legion of Doom. Too early but already salivating at the prospect of a future WW movie sequel featuring Godwatch played by a number of heavyweight actresses.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I dunno, it's reasonable to have "The Lies" reveal the lies and "The Truth" reveal the truth
    Not much use though if the audience has gotten bored before they arrive at it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bound4olympus View Post
    Or Veronica's mother could be Gerta. Cale could be a married name.
    Yeah totally

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Something, all of you are forgetting...

Al Kale
    was Wonder Woman's first official villain. He was the show biz manager, who exploited Diana's talents, namely, bullets-vs-bracelets, ..and whom she soundly trounced for messing her over. Given that, perhaps Rucka's naming his star super-villain, 'Veronica Cale' is simply an homage to that short-lived, Golden Age crook ..and nothing more.
    I'm not sure Rucka even read the golden age comics, for him Perez is the be all end all of Wonder Woman lore so much so that Sharp is under the impression that Perez created Wonder Woman, he even gave him a cameo, albeit a rather unflattering one imo
    Last edited by username_; 01-26-2017 at 05:03 PM.

I wonder is Rucka still going to be 24 issues? I mean on his twitter

https://twitter.com/ruckawriter/stat...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

This was a great read! I love that GodWatch is essentially a modern-day version of Villainy Inc. comprised of Veronica Cale, Cheetah, Dr. Poison, Dr. Cyber, and the two unknown twins(perhaps Minister Blizzard & the Blue Snowman or Dr. Psycho and the Duke of Deception?). Sharp's art keeps getting better and better. He really is the right choice for this book. So is Ferdinand a minotaur?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I also think Terror and Panic are the mentioned twins and that they're Phobos and Deimos. That makes sense because Ares and Godwatch are both looking for Themyscia so why wouldn't Ares have his children on the team?
    I agree. The dogs are almost certainly the twins that Barbara mentions and the names of the dogs are heavy hints that they are really Phobos and Deimos. My only worry is that it is too heavy a hint and we are being deliberately misled.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    This was a great read! I love that GodWatch is essentially a modern-day version of Villainy Inc. comprised of Veronica Cale, Cheetah, Dr. Poison, Dr. Cyber, and the two unknown twins(perhaps Minister Blizzard & the Blue Snowman or Dr. Psycho and the Duke of Deception?). Sharp's art keeps getting better and better. He really is the right choice for this book. So is Ferdinand a minotaur?
    I like Sharps art a lot.
    He does tend to drop the ball when it comes to foreshortening, but otherwise his use of pencils and inks
    to show detail and mood makes for a pleasing looking comic (for me).

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I wonder is Rucka still going to be 24 issues? I mean on his twitter

https://twitter.com/ruckawriter/stat...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
    It looks like he will. It's implied that "we shall see" if he's going to be writing after that.

I hope he stays for at least one more arc to fix the Wonder Girl(s) situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    It looks like he will. It's implied that "we shall see" if he's going to be writing after that.

I hope he stays for at least one more arc to fix the Wonder Girl(s) situation.

I'm all for Rucka extending his stay, but I'm so OVER "fixes", retcons, reboots, rebirths. Wonder Girl...ugh. Just allow him to tell a superhero story with no baggage.
    Last edited by Largo161; 01-27-2017 at 09:13 AM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Incredible Member

It would seem for now DC has decided to let Abnett take care of fixing Donna. In Titans #7 Donna gave some brief details on her actual origin(They thankfully have apparently to ignore the Finch material with her entirely). She say she was an orphan found and adopted by Amazons at the age of 7 and she has no memories from before that. He also said in an interview that the Titans Annual would have more details. It seems that they're doing the most sensible and giving her a modified version of her classic origin. My only concern is that I'm worried is that Rucka and Abnett aren't communicating or don't care what the other is doing. Since Donna's in her early twenties that means there was presumably a preteen Donna on Themyscira during Year one. It would of been nice for consistencies sake if Rucka and Scott had given her a cameo somewhere.

As for Cassie, fixing her isn't to hard. Destroy the Silent Armor, have her awaken her demigod powers, and have her start hanging out with Diana and being written as good person.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I'm all for Rucka extending his stay, but I'm so OVER "fixes", retcons, reboots, rebirths. Wonder Girl...ugh. Just allow him to tell a superhero story with no baggage.
    I really think the fixes will be positive in the long run. And by "fix" I meant bringing Cassie and Donna closer to Diana the way it should always have been. But, yeah, I don't disagree. Wonder Woman desperately needs simple, strong superhero tales and I will be cheering for him if that's the route he's going for.