Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Yes something I failed to mentioned- this isn't the first time that Doom has left. And in times past, as you pointed out so well, he's had a power structure in place to maintain rule of law (including Kristoff). The difference here and now is Secret Wars and how indeed did that affect Doom...

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I think it would be fair to assume that part of the reason why Doom wanted to rule Latveria was revenge. In Books of Doom, we saw how he found the King had taken sanctuary in the city's cathedral. Doom ignored that he was in such a holy place and strangled him there on the floor. IMO it was almost symbolic of his lack of faith in both institutions, the church and the government.

However it didn't appear that he purged the country completely of those institutions. We do see a clergyman in Astonishing Tales #8 who is seen with the villagers talking about the goings on at the castle. There are no known executions of any of the officials, although much later Waid would assert this when Reed finds that hidden guillotine and incinerator. The usual cliche is to show some toady like fellow that merely takes orders but again Byrne doesn't do this. He's one of the few besides Stan and Jack that would show any sample of a typical day in Latveria.

Some writers would go with the idea that ruling Latveria was ego-related and there's enough canon appearances to support that. He is a strong man type ruler most of the time. I think he looks at the people as children that need guidance because naturally he thinks he's the smartest and most capable person to run their lives. That's why I can get a kick out of the panel in Infamous #4 where he disarms the heavily armed juvenile delinquents and then in a fatherly way orders them to go to school. Things tend to get unstable when he's gone because whether they like him or not, he made them dependant on him.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-30-2017 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think it would be fair to assume that part of the reason why Doom wanted to rule Latveria was revenge. In Books of Doom, we saw how he found the King had taken sanctuary in the city's cathedral. Doom ignored that he was in such a holy place and strangled him there on the floor. IMO it was almost symbolic of his lack of faith in both institutions, the church and the government.

However it didn't appear that he purged the country completely of those institutions. We do see a clergyman in Astonishing Tales #8 who is seen with the villagers talking about the goings on at the castle. There are known executions of any of the officials, although much later Waid would assert this when Reed finds that hidden guillotine and incinerator. The usual cliche is to show some toady like fellow that merely takes orders but again Byrne doesn't do this. He's one of the few besides Stan and Jack that would show any sample of a typical day in Latveria.

Some writers would go with the idea that ruling Latveria was ego-related and there's enough canon appearances to support that. He is a strong man type ruler most of the time. I think he looks at the people as children that need guidance because naturally he thinks he's the smartest and most capable person to run their lives. That's why I can get a kick out of the panel in Infamous #4 where he disarms the heavily armed juvenile delinquents and then in a fatherly way orders them to go to school. Things tend to get unstable when he's gone because whether they like him or not, he made them dependant on him.

For sure, he is super paternalistic. But I have to believe he has insight that he is /was this thing, and that his authoritarian rule effectively weakened the self-drive of the people. The medical analogy would be chemical withdrawal like with opioids or steroids. I have to believe Doom would have anticipated this and set countermeasures in place

Quote Originally Posted by Biclopcicle View Post
    For sure, he is super paternalistic. But I have to believe he has insight that he is /was this thing, and that his authoritarian rule effectively weakened the self-drive of the people. The medical analogy would be chemical withdrawal like with opioids or steroids. I have to believe Doom would have anticipated this and set countermeasures in place
    Yes, that probably would have been reasonable. Set up a coalition government or hold elections. Something. Maybe he overestimated the general in getting these kinds of things done or made assumptions as to what this fellow's ambtions are.

I think i'm liking victor as iron man, but i'm mot sure about this series. when is he supposed to show up in avengers?

I thought it was maybe issue #6 or 7 from a Waid interview I recall someone mentioning.

I do remember this teaser image though, which I think was in issue #1

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-31-2017 at 11:20 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    I thought this was a good issue but I want to see Victor written as the smartest person on the planet, not as someone who gets caught off guard.

Oh, and I hate the fact that his mother is back. Hopefully, it's a trick or something.
    His mother is back? Damn..that's gonna be very irritating. He won't be as ultra cunning and as diligent if she's around. He might even watch his wording.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    Yep. That was always the default setting. Writers need to do their research.
    Not everyone is gonna knock out out of park with continuity like Cullen Bunn. LOL.