Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The Kamandi feature in WEDNESDAY COMICS was one of the few features I actually really enjoyed in that series. It's a shame it was never collected. (Or was it?)

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    The Kamandi feature in WEDNESDAY COMICS was one of the few features I actually really enjoyed in that series. It's a shame it was never collected. (Or was it?)
    Oh, yeah, I remember that one! Artwork by a Ryan Sook at his best and written like a Prince Valiant comic strip, without word balloons. A real shame that the single Wednesday Comics features were never collected separately (only in omnibus trades), though an understandable decision, since 12-page hardcovers would feel a little too... thin.

I take advantage of this reply to ask again:

The copy of this issue that I found seems to lack the afterword where the writer of the previous issue explains how he would have solved the cliffhanger he set up for the next author. Is it missing on every copy or is it just mine? And if it's the latter, what did Tomasi write?

Mine copy also lacks that page. Anyway, fun issue, but #1 is still my favourite so far.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Mine copy also lacks that page. Anyway, fun issue, but #1 is still my favourite so far.
    Thank you! Now I'm wondering what happened to Tomasi's afterword, but since his cliffhanger was just a little less grandiose (hard to top a possible friggin' nuclear explosion!) than Abnett's I'm not going to suffer too much for not having read it. Though I have to dispute your definition of "fun", since the whole "artificial sentient plant as renewable food resource" matter was one of the most genuinely disturbing things I've read this year in a comic book. Really a sign of how savage this post-apocalyptic world is.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

So far, Abnett's been the best installment.

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    Wednesday Comics was collected. It was a huge hardcover designed to be as tall as a broadsheet.

Post-Great Disaster Australia was always a fascinating location, between its much-vaunted Murder Society, its Western Wall going up higher than the atmosphere and the Vortex creeping just beyond that barrier. If we add that, unlike the King at the time when he was creating the original series, we live in a world where Mad Max is a thing, a contamination between the two apocalyptic scenarios is almost a foregone conclusion. Also nice to see that Kamandi's green friend isn't likely to bite the dust too soon (unforeseen swerves permitting).

And now let's see where those winged mounts from the fifth issue's cover will bring our heroes!

I wonder if it was a mistake to have Eaglesham on the first issue. While I enjoyed what others did nothing really came close to his issue to me and its kinda bummer to read new issue and think "its okay, but it was better at the start"

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I wonder if it was a mistake to have Eaglesham on the first issue. While I enjoyed what others did nothing really came close to his issue to me and its kinda bummer to read new issue and think "its okay, but it was better at the start"
    If the creative teams were actually chosen by drawing lots, like Jimmy Palmiotti said, then there was no mistake, just the usual whims of chance. And anyway, with Ivan Reis, Steve Rude, Ryan Sook and José Luis Garcia-Lopez still to come, all this negativity on the maxi-series' art department is, quite frankly, unjustified.

Issue #5 has been out for quite some time and since interest for this project seems to have fizzled out in this community (which really is a shame) I thought that leaving this thread completely abandoned was a disservice to this ambitious maxi-series.

Especially since this issue explains what happened to Ivan Reis and his commitment to the first arc of Orlando's JLA: he was too busy with his Kamandi issue! Just look at those backgrounds, man! And I'm not complaining, since I've consistently been more interested in this maxi-series than in Orlando's League, so I'm glad that the former was the Brazilian artist's priority.

Anyway, I'm sorry to see Kamandi's companion out of the scene for who knows how long (hoping the next writers have plans for her to come back). I'd grown fond of her. And next month I'm really curious to see how our hero will come out of his current predicament in one piece! D:

I thought that Reis did amazing job, but writing wasn't as good.

Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post
    It was FANTASTIC!

And learning what they're going to do, having the next issue's writer "escape" from the plot that previous writer left...just so interesting as a comic reader. And then to know that the original writer will also explain the way he would have gotten the character out of the plot trap. This is frikkin cool and shows how inventive thinking can make comics cool.
    It was a cool gimmick in 1985, too. :-)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Challenge