Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Default The Terrigen Cloud plotline?

Looking at the reaction to the Inhumans vs X-Men series I am really starting to think that Marvel has really screwed up in their efforts to push the Inhumans. It seem like more and more the whole Terrigen death cloud storyline is polarizing fans into either loving the Inhumans or just flat out hating them. This whole story is not painting the Inhumans in a good light at all and the X-Men don't come off much better. At least the X-Men have decades of good will built up while the Inhumans are still trying to get that fanbase built up. This mess of of storyline is not helping anyone and makes all the characters look bad. I can't believe that an editor is looking at this as it comes in and saying "yeah this is the stuff that is going to finally push the Inhumans over the hump". Maybe they do have some master plan that is going to be amazing latter one and this is just building to it, but you can not create this much flat out hate of characters and then expect people to stick around for what you have planned latter on.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The biggest mistake with the death cloud storyline is Marvel pushing the Inhumans at the expense of the X-Men. You don't built a fanbases by pissing off another.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The biggest mistake with the death cloud storyline is Marvel pushing the Inhumans at the expanse of the X-Men. You don't built a fanbases by pissing off another.
    Exactly. Marvel just doesn't get this I guess.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

The worst thing about this plot is how it's a mess. Everything contradicts itself or just makes the rest look ridiculous.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

If you don't want to read about the Terrigen cloud causing deaths, may I recommend reading Uncanny Inhumans. It barely mentions it at all and is a quite enjoyable story.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Also, the fact that each side has characters with the knowledge or power to fix the cloud but they're not allowed to because plot.
    . My Little Pony . ASM: Renew your Vows . Ms Marvel . Generation X . Doom Patrol . Super Man . The Flash . Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps . Trinity . Teen Titans . Super Sons . Mister Miracle . Saga . Paper Girls .

The X-Men have a woman with power over weather and a guy who can invent anything while the Inhumans have a girl with control over the elements and a guy who can make anything he reads a reality.
    This "problem" is about as difficult to solve as "Which room do you go to bed in?"

Spectacular Member

Ijust making people hate the Inhumans period. I'm not saying the Inhumans don't have their fans by any means its just that the death cloud story line isn't bring in any new fans to the characters at all quite the opposite its just making people hate them. Because no matter how hard Marvel tries to frame Terrigenisis as being all important to the Inhumans its self evident that it isn't at all. Karnak is quite literally the walking embodiment of that notion being complete crap. Indeed forcing the point onto Nuhumans without their consent is frankly all around dick-ish behavior even without the killing-all-mutants thing and reads strait up like an evil Magneto plot, with the wiping out mutants thing? yeah they basically entering into the realm of being a party to genocide... there just no good way to spin that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Looking at the reaction to the Inhumans vs X-Men series I am really starting to think that Marvel has really screwed up in their efforts to push the Inhumans. It seem like more and more the whole Terrigen death cloud storyline is polarizing fans into either loving the Inhumans or just flat out hating them. This whole story is not painting the Inhumans in a good light at all and the X-Men don't come off much better. At least the X-Men have decades of good will built up while the Inhumans are still trying to get that fanbase built up. This mess of of storyline is not helping anyone and makes all the characters look bad. I can't believe that an editor is looking at this as it comes in and saying "yeah this is the stuff that is going to finally push the Inhumans over the hump". Maybe they do have some master plan that is going to be amazing latter one and this is just building to it, but you can not create this much flat out hate of characters and then expect people to stick around for what you have planned latter on.
    It is getting people to talk about the Inhumans. I'm seeing a lot more discussion about them now than in the past. I think they likely feel the polorizing effect is better than readers not giving a damn about them one way or the other.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

I honestly think the opposite, the Terrigan Cloud Plotline is more sub-due in the Comic and Story then the Mass-Arguments that we have here online lead you to believe.

If you read it rationally without ones Politics to get in the way of the story, most of it is sub-due over the past year, with both franchises spreading even a good amount of time off of it more then I thought they would.

Like I said in another thread;

they had more stories then just a cloud by what I read. Yea, moments sadly with the cloud, those stories where overly centrally Grim as the X-books like to make things, but the Inhuman and other books showed a more even balance IMO.

But the main point for X-Books did have other focuses;

*All-New was about the Time Traveled Teens just have a Road Adventure
    *Old Man Logan was about him trying to keep his future from happening.
    *Unanny Avengers was about Humans, Mutants and Inhumans trying work together.
    *Deadpool was Deadpool and Mercs for Money.
    *All-New Wolverine was about the Sisters.

While the Cloud was still central in the many books, it was not as much as I thought it would have been. Even the main books Extraordinary and Uncanny had moments away from it, dealing with more team function between team members for one.

You had the Apocalypse Mini Crossover, the World Eater Saga, crossovers with other marvel heroes, the Civil War. Honestly I was more surprised by what I read that they did not focus more on the cloud then I thought the X-Books would, but that was just my observation.

In the Inhuman books yea they where all over the places at times too, but the central focuses where still on Curing the effects of the cloud, keeping the peace and helping to help both NuHumans and Mutants alike.

This WHOLE idea that the Story is just a mess is IMO Certainly Not true in the Least by what I have read, it is Far more interesting then it is given credit for. The whole of the idea this hurt the Inhumans by Marvel's sense I just don't see much. Yea I can get IvX being seen in somewhat of a bad story with how it is playing out, but that is Marvel Event Comics 101, the lead up was far better.

The only think hurting Inhumans is Fan Hyerpboling over Every-Little-Detail to the points of which Inhumans more then the X-Men are made into Headcanon Characterless not resembling ANYTHING I am reading of them in the stories, even IvX itself.

So No, is the Cloud hurting Inhumans by Marvel; NO!

But the Fan Wars that Lead to Inhumans being Called Names and Fandoms being attack most certainly is and will lead fans cold shoulders to books and characters that otherwise they would give a chance too purely on Loyalty to Brand.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Niffleheim

Ppl are still viewing this with their hero tinted glasses . There is nothing heroic about Civil War II and IvX events. No Victors just Pawns fighting wars.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

It just seems like the Inhumans, as a concept and culture, have been bringing nothing but problems with them. Their little pet Ulysses brought on a second superhuman war by his badly-written powers. Their cloud is bringing death and torment to hundreds across the planet. Why does Marvel think I should like these characters who just cause a lot of problems but never seem to take any responsibility for it? Like, honestly, what's the draw here?

The best things that have come from them are characters like Kamala and Lunella, and part of the reason they're the best things is because they have as little to do with the other Inhumans as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    I honestly think the opposite, the Terrigan Cloud Plotline is more sub-due in the Comic and Story then the Mass-Arguments that we have here online lead you to believe.

If you read it rationally without ones Politics to get in the way of the story, most of it is sub-due over the past year, with both franchises spreading even a good amount of time off of it more then I thought they would.

Like I said in another thread;

they had more stories then just a cloud by what I read. Yea, moments sadly with the cloud, those stories where overly centrally Grim as the X-books like to make things, but the Inhuman and other books showed a more even balance IMO.

But the main point for X-Books did have other focuses;

*All-New was about the Time Traveled Teens just have a Road Adventure
    *Old Man Logan was about him trying to keep his future from happening.
    *Unanny Avengers was about Humans, Mutants and Inhumans trying work together.
    *Deadpool was Deadpool and Mercs for Money.
    *All-New Wolverine was about the Sisters.

While the Cloud was still central in the many books, it was not as much as I thought it would have been. Even the main books Extraordinary and Uncanny had moments away from it, dealing with more team function between team members for one.

You had the Apocalypse Mini Crossover, the World Eater Saga, crossovers with other marvel heroes, the Civil War. Honestly I was more surprised by what I read that they did not focus more on the cloud then I thought the X-Books would, but that was just my observation.

In the Inhuman books yea they where all over the places at times too, but the central focuses where still on Curing the effects of the cloud, keeping the peace and helping to help both NuHumans and Mutants alike.

This WHOLE idea that the Story is just a mess is IMO Certainly Not true in the Least by what I have read, it is Far more interesting then it is given credit for. The whole of the idea this hurt the Inhumans by Marvel's sense I just don't see much. Yea I can get IvX being seen in somewhat of a bad story with how it is playing out, but that is Marvel Event Comics 101, the lead up was far better.

The only think hurting Inhumans is Fan Hyerpboling over Every-Little-Detail to the points of which Inhumans more then the X-Men are made into Headcanon Characterless not resembling ANYTHING I am reading of them in the stories, even IvX itself.

So No, is the Cloud hurting Inhumans by Marvel; NO!

But the Fan Wars that Lead to Inhumans being Called Names and Fandoms being attack most certainly is and will lead fans cold shoulders to books and characters that otherwise they would give a chance too purely on Loyalty to Brand.
    But if the fan wars that leads to Inhumans being called names and fandoms being attacked exist because of the Terrigen Cloud plot, then yes, it is hurting them. If they do something that makes most of the audience who read it hate the characters when Marvel is wanting them to become fans, it is hurting them. Lots of people who didn't had an opinion on them and could possibly become fans one day, and even some who already liked them before now hate them. That in a way hurts the franchise. It wasn't intentional by Marvel, but it happened.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    But if the fan wars that leads to Inhumans being called names and fandoms being attacked exist because of the Terrigen Cloud plot, then yes, it is hurting them. If they do something that makes most of the audience who read it hate the characters when Marvel is wanting them to become fans, it is hurting them. Lots of people who didn't had an opinion on them and could possibly become fans one day, and even some who already liked them before now hate them. That in a way hurts the franchise. It wasn't intentional by Marvel, but it happened.
    I am sorry to see this, but this is this is the Fans Fault and IMO that is what I am witnessing here on the boards. The Stories are not even 1/10th this level of controversial, yet we let ourselves get so whipped into a fever over so many things that it has gone beyond the stories into Fantasy Head-Canons that seem to be saying things about Inhumans that are not constant with what is in the books.

Remember all the Hate over Storm, Scarlet Witch, The Avengers?! Same Thing, different Packaging.

Fans of X-Men feel backed into a corner and they are lashing out at what they think is their replacement in Marvel. Honestly, even if the cloud never existed, since the push of Inhumans by marvel this has been going on these fan wars, same words where said about the Avengers too. It Does Not MATTER What the story is, Fans feel the X-Men are being set back and will fight back no matter what the story is.

IMO I am coming to more of a conclusion that the story was Damned no matter what it was, so long as it seemed a push was being done at what seemed the expense of X-men, fans would be pushing back and with that fans on the other side are backed into the own corner and have to then be forced to push back when they get hit to much.

This is becoming a Fan Made Issue More and More.
    Last edited by CJStriker; 01-26-2017 at 09:05 PM.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

I think the worst part of this storyline is the joke that was Death of X. Not to mention the lack of nuance to the story.