Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Why BATMAN ? instead of MARTAIN MANHUNTER.

I was wondering why did they decide to use BATMAN instead of the MARTAIN MANHUNTER in this new JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA.when he's already in JUSTICE LEAGUE along with his other various titles.personally I feel J'onzz need some love as well.

Batman sells, partially because people know who he is.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Batman sells, partially because people know who he is.
    Exactly. DC needed an A-list character to help sell the book. Batman is the biggest one they've got so I'm not surprised they picked him.

BANNED

It's always sad to learn how the sausage is made, LOL.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
    Exactly. DC needed an A-list character to help sell the book. Batman is the biggest one they've got so I'm not surprised they picked him.
    It's getting sad that a company is so dependent on one character. I don't care how much money Batman brings in, they need to get people interested in their brand without whoring him out all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaLantern View Post
    It's getting sad that a company is so dependent on one character. I don't care how much money Batman brings in, they need to get people interested in their brand without whoring him out all the time.
    They probably could have gone with Superman or Wonder Woman in place of Batman.
    However, would that have made any sense for this group? Would it make people happier?

BANNED

maybe they are afraid aquaman will join him and they will resurrect jl Detroit?

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    I was wondering why did they decide to use BATMAN instead of the MARTAIN MANHUNTER in this new JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA.when he's already in JUSTICE LEAGUE along with his other various titles.personally I feel J'onzz need some love as well.
    Batman can boost sales. Manhunter will not.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    They probably could have gone with Superman or Wonder Woman in place of Batman.
    However, would that have made any sense for this group? Would it make people happier?
    No, they couldn't. Batman is a much bigger seller than any of them; probably even bigger than both together.

Batman might not be on the team permanently anyway. He might have an arc or 2 on the team and then hand over to someone else once the book has been established in term of sales and story.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    Batman might not be on the team permanently anyway. He might have an arc or 2 on the team and then hand over to someone else once the book has been established in term of sales and story.
    It's possible. The Giffen/DeMatteis era Justice League started with Batman in their roster but he left pretty quickly. Heck even before that he was barely in the book and it worked out fine in the end.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

They did give a reason why the Justice League doesn't trust the Martian Manhunter back in the Nu52 when he joined the team to spy on them. That could have something to do with it. J'onn was a member of the JLA and JLU, but both those teams were not directly linked to the Justice League proper and instead were independent of each other. That is the main reason why I can see them (storywise not sales wise) not using him.

Spectacular Member

I understand why they have Batman in the book...he sells.
    But I don't know why he's an active member instead of in an "advisory" role like he played on the Young Justice TV Show. I would have thought that a better roll since he's got since solo series and his Justice League activities, right?
    I agree that he should have had Martian Manhunter, Black Canary, Vixen, the Ray, Killer Frost, Lobo, the Atom on the team with the J'onn and Dinah as the team's field leaders.
    Also, with Steve Orlando writing the series I would have thought that the Midnighter and Apollo would have been members since he's been their post-Stormwatch creative guardian.

Quote Originally Posted by Marxtles View Post
    But I don't know why he's an active member instead of in an "advisory" role like he played on the Young Justice TV Show. I would have thought that a better roll since he's got since solo series and his Justice League activities, right?
    I agree that he should have had Martian Manhunter, Black Canary, Vixen, the Ray, Killer Frost, Lobo, the Atom on the team with the J'onn and Dinah as the team's field leaders.
    But does Dinah have enough experience in the New52/DCYou/Rebirth world to justify that?
    Are they now saying she was a previous member of the Justice League?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marxtles View Post
    Also, with Steve Orlando writing the series I would have thought that the Midnighter and Apollo would have been members since he's been their post-Stormwatch creative guardian.
    Do we know specifically what role Batman is playing yet? Or are we assuming from his appearance on the cover?