Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Amazing Member

More focus on character-driven stories. Enough of these dull big events

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Have the OMD deal be revealed, but only to Peter. As a result, he becomes riddled with guilt and tries to be an even greater hero to make up for what he inadvertently did. He takes bigger risks than ever eventually getting temporarily crippled and nearly killed. He is then forced to take on the Iron Spider identity so he can use the suit until his body heals, which brings him into contact once more with his lost love. Mary Jane is there for him during his recovery but he can not bring himself to tell her what has caused his recklessness. In a long story arc involving many past supporting cast members, Peter and MJ slowly find their way back together. The arc ends when Peter uncovers and foils a plot by Mephisto to conquer Earth using Parker Industries, which was Mephisto's true plan all along. At least that is what I would do.

The icing on the cake. When Big Red is badly beating Spider-Man the demon lord offers Peter another deal to save himself and his loved ones if he becomes Mephisto's servant. Peter rejects the deal. Peter then pulls out a victory, thus fully redeeming himself -

"I'd rather die a hero than live as a stooge," Peter tells Mephisto.

No major events after he dons the Iron Spider suit until the battle with Mephisto, rather just good solid storytelling.
    That would be a perfect redemption storyline for the whole OMD story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    Marvel is doing RYV for an extra revenue stream. That's about it, I don't think they hate the status quo, they just see it money-wise as a way to make more money by selling an alternate universe on top of the main one. If they can sell both a single and a married Spider-Man for two revenue streams, they will do it.
    The same thing could have been said for Spider-girl, the ORIGINAL MC-2 Universe one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    That would be a perfect redemption storyline for the whole OMD story.
    Yah, it has almost all the elements I want to see as a fan. Peter finding out about OMD and doing something about it. The only other element that is crucial for me is for MJ to find out.

Only thing is - I'm not sure even Mephisto knows about OMD at this point.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by suemorphplus209 View Post
    Get someone other than Slott if he can't keep them short.
    Slott writes relatively tight stories compared to the industry norm.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yah, it has almost all the elements I want to see as a fan. Peter finding out about OMD and doing something about it. The only other element that is crucial for me is for MJ to find out.

Oh, she'd find out in time, but not right away. The tension between MJ and Peter needs some build up first. I would show that deep down she still loves him no matter what even with her true memories suppressed their connection goes beyond that. In fact, one of the big moments I'd have occur is MJ throwing Peter the device that will vanquish Mephisto after Peter has dropped it and all seems lost. This would be after Peter sneaks away to confront the demon lord on his own because he knows MJ will insist she accompanies him after learning what Mephisto has done. I think it would be fitting that Peter's & MJ's love for each other, a love Mephisto tried so hard to erase, proves the undoing of his plan.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-02-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Fantastic Member primenumber101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post

Well, in Spider-Man/Deadpool issues, is revealed that Mephisto seems to know about OMD story as he actually taunts Peter with it, while Peter was in limbo.

Fantastic Member primenumber101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A Maze Thing View Post
    More focus on character-driven stories. Enough of these dull big events
    Actually, that can be said to all current major series right now.

Quote Originally Posted by primenumber101 View Post
    Actually, that can be said to all current major series right now.
    Yes, but it really is more of a pronounced problem for ASM a title which, through it's history, boasted a great supporting cast and somewhat relatable feel to it. The last few years of stories have elevated Peter to an Avengers-level hero fighting worldwide and galactic threats, something that---for me---strayed too far from the center of what made the character and title tick. But, even if the crossovers were more grounded, I agree that there are too many of them and they have left little to no space for the characters to breathe, grow and develop on their own. The Spidey title is just too frantic right now for me.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    The same thing could have been said for Spider-girl, the ORIGINAL MC-2 Universe one.
    Definitely, and MC2/Spider-Girl made money to keep going as its own thing for over 10 years.

Full reboot of the Marvel Universe. Restore Ultimate Marvel with a new name and shunt all the alternate takes on the iconic MU characters there. In that new UM universe, Falcon is Cap, Jane is Thor, Riri is Iron Maiden (Ironheart is a dumb name), Jennifer is Hulk, Miles is Spider-Man, and so on.

The "reboot," having divided the MU into two realities, restores the iconic characters in their iconic roles. Keep most stories in a sliding continuity but don't focus on the stories that were truly awful, a la everything Slott has done outside of Superior Spider-Man and, of course, One More Day.

Kick Slott off of Spidey and let him focus on something completely different (I hear his Silver Surfer is pretty good) while getting someone fresh on Spider-Man. Maybe Peter David could be the guy who sets the tone for the post-reboot stories and then have other people pick up the baton from there.

Extraordinary Member

Peter David's actually already worked on Spidey before:

https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Fr...%22+spider-man

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Peter David's actually already worked on Spidey before:

https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Fr...%22+spider-man
    Yeah, and his run on Spectacular is a classic.

But he's never had an extended run on Amazing Spider-Man, to drive the direction of Peter Parker. Which he very much deserves to have.

I wouldn't wish the hassle of writing the flagship Spider-Man book on PAD.

If he could write a satellite book starring Peter, like Spec, again? That would probably be preferable even if he'd still have to tie-in to events and the like, but very few titles can escape that.

BANNED

OMD is a partial problem, but in the way it could be fix is with Peter learning about the deal and trying to deal with a way to stop Mephisto. However with the Parker Indurstires near its end and most of Earth's magic truly crippled it's difficult.

Somehow Dr. Strange is able to help alittle, but with Ghost Rider, both Johnny and Robbie, helping them out to confront Mephisto. Mephisto nearly kills Spider-man until MJ and Aunt May arrives to "help."

It ends with Aunt May taking the killing blow for Peter and MJ and since MJ's side deal was broken it nulls the agreement and they were freed from Mephisto's grasp.

IF HE'S AROUND, Peter uses his wish for Loki to fix things, but thanks to the Parker Luck, Peter, MJ, and Aunt May are regressed back to a Younger age, via Ultimate Spider-man and connected to the new film, for Spidey to have a reboot with their memories of old life re-intact.

Spidey tries to stop crime again while MJ gets a second chance at school.

This way old Ultimate Spider-man is "reborn" and old school fans will get new take on the classic character.