Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Astonishing Member

Makes me wonder if the best approach wouldn't have to been to let Ben take over as "Peter Parker CEO" and let Peter get the married life. You get the best of both worlds that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    Makes me wonder if the best approach wouldn't have to been to let Ben take over as "Peter Parker CEO" and let Peter get the married life. You get the best of both worlds that way.
    I ask why? Plenty of real-life CEOs have spouses and/or families. The two concepts are by no means mutually exclusive.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Someone posted this on another forum I hang around on. Not sure how it'll affect Spider-Man, but could impact somehow.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    If have been a while and i don't remenber perfectly his run but his Spider-Man leans into something of a law and order/conservative attitude to crime which depending upon the story can be varying shades of believable/unbelievable.

To be honest i make him sound worse than it was, for the most part his work with Spider-Man is pretty solid, he wrote most sarcastic Spidey and is the go to guy for if you want a good "Angry Spider-Man".
    Only thing I can think of that you might be referring to is Death Of Jean DeWolff. I think PAD did a good job of portraying a Spider-Man at the end of his rope, after being betrayed by Stan Carter who he took to be an ally in trying to find Jean's killer, only to learn Carter was the killer. Hence why Daredevil had to stop Spidey from letting the angry crowd take Carter apart.

Then in the DoJD follow-up story, Peter gets to see the results of Spider-Man beating up on Carter, who though he had been dosed with a diluted form of the super-soldier serum by SHIELD, was still mostly just a non-powered human. And Peter is very guilty over the beating he gave Carter.

If anything, I think PAD's 1980's run on Spectacular showed the result of abuses of power and the negative consequences of Peter getting driven too close to the edge.

And yes, as you say, for my money he wrote the funniest and most sarcastic Spidey ever, in some very ironic stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    And yes, as you say, for my money he wrote the funniest and most sarcastic Spidey ever, in some very ironic stories.
    I could believe that; Peter David wrote Star Trek novels that used sarcasm really well (and humor in general).

Astonishing Member

Shorter story arcs,the way some story arcs have six parts these days is absurd.
    It just drags the story and can make one lose the interest in the story.
    Story arcs with one or maximum three parts would be better.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    Don't know why I wrote Peter David. I meant Mark Waid. From what I understand, he's done some great work on Spidey during Brand New Day. I'm a huge fan of his Flash, Superman, and Cap work and I think he'd be a good fit for Spidey.
    Mark Waid have not written many Spider Man comics,but he wrote one of my all time favorites stories.
    Unsheduled Stop (ASM:578,579),a must read.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I ask why? Plenty of real-life CEOs have spouses and/or families. The two concepts are by no means mutually exclusive.
    Cuz iys cool, comicbooks dont need to be all about realism. Especially not spiderman who has aliens and magical vampies.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Sounds like writers trying to boost him up . . . and you choosing to give more weight to stories that do so. I liked that Ultimate Spider-Man was given an IQ in the 140s. Once you hit that super genius place, your intelligence is your power. It takes over. And Peter's cleverness can be a good element - especially coming in as a stealth element due to perceptions characters have based on his behavior - but it's not the feature that draws people to the character.
    Well, yes, writers have begun to boost him up in ASM and other Spidey-centric titles, so obviously titles which aren't coherent with the established story in ASM are not consistent. So it is not me choosing to give more weight to those stories, it's just a fact that the ones which dont show his intelligence are not well written.

The thing I've always liked about Peter is that he combines the best aspects of so many other characters. Powers greater than guys like Luke Cage, a heart of gold like Cap, and the intelligence rivalling anyone in the Marvel Universe. Also, speak for yourself if you say it isn't the feature that draws people to the character - my absolute favourite parts of Peter's character are his commitment to responsibility as well as his intelligence. Your assertion about super genius intelligence is demonstrably incorrect since 616 Peter is a super genius and yet does not need to rely solely on that due to his powers. A larger focus on it is always nice, though. Ultimate Spidey was just an all around never version of 616 Peter - from intelligence to strength and speed as well.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Ghost View Post
    That is completely false. No stories show him as second to Reed or Doom. He isn't even in the top 20 smartest people in the MU. I've seen you post this before and I'm not trying to pick on you or anything but this is just utterly false. And I've been reading Spidey on and off since the early 80s.
    As someone who has read every single issue of ASM, and the vast majority of the issues in which Peter has appeared in, I can assure you it is true. I guess I could amend my statement to say stories show him as third to both Reed and Doom, which was what I meant, but I thought that was obvious. If you'd like examples, I can provide a few - the Iron Man crossover where Stark was unable to detect Peter's stealth tech (this was during Fraction's run, IIRC), ASM 600 where Peter's brainwaves are the only ones which can overpower Ock's while Reed was working on building a machine, Mosaic #4 where Peter is one of the few who know more about Pym Particles than Hank Pym himself discovered, ASM 692-694 where Peter is the only one to discover Parker Particles other than Reed, and is able to find a way to neutralize them (which Reed couldn't), ASM vol. 4 #13 where Peter's AI/OS/computers are years more advanced than Stark's, Spider-Island where only Peter's tech can neutralize the Queen's Omega-Level attacks, etc etc etc. These were just some recent examples off the top of my head.

I mean, if top 3 is arguable (because it definitely is), top 5 or 6 is a certainty.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Well, yes, writers have begun to boost him up in ASM and other Spidey-centric titles, so obviously titles which aren't coherent with the established story in ASM are not consistent. So it is not me choosing to give more weight to those stories, it's just a fact that the ones which dont show his intelligence are not well written.

The thing I've always liked about Peter is that he combines the best aspects of so many other characters. Powers greater than guys like Luke Cage, a heart of gold like Cap, and the intelligence rivalling anyone in the Marvel Universe. Also, speak for yourself if you say it isn't the feature that draws people to the character - my absolute favourite parts of Peter's character are his commitment to responsibility as well as his intelligence. Your assertion about super genius intelligence is demonstrably incorrect since 616 Peter is a super genius and yet does not need to rely solely on that due to his powers. A larger focus on it is always nice, though. Ultimate Spidey was just an all around never version of 616 Peter - from intelligence to strength and speed as well.
    Yet he is still struggling to solve normal problems like being late for job interviews or now meetings. It gets problematic when the emphasis of his skills are highlighted when they need to but shot down and useless in other respects. It also gets repetative when writers cant write spidey competant enough to work with other heroes without getting succumbed down to a rookie who highlights how much better other hroes are than him at something.
    Last edited by SpideyCeo; 02-08-2017 at 03:32 PM.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post

The best portrayal and positive talk for a character happens, or should happen in his/her own title. Spider-Man comics will make Spider-Man look good for being the starring character. If you have another case where Spider-Man is showing up as a guest star in another character's title, the situation is bound to be different, because Peter Parker isn't the star.

Fantastic Member

IMO

They need a streamlining ... Start at issue one and start pruning and simplifying

They've killed off a lot of the heart and changed direction so many times and have reached their Superman flies around the globe turning back time moments...

12 issue mini series to reset canon, bring him back to street level ... than don't **** it up again lol

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    Cuz iys cool, comicbooks dont need to be all about realism. Especially not spiderman who has aliens and magical vampies.
    The idea of Marvel has generally been that it's a superhero world similar to our own. We want realistic reactions to the unrealistic stuff.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets