Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Favorite Alan Davis runs.

So what are your favorite Alan Davis runs as a writer/artist or just artist?

I think for me Excalibur is at the top.
    The Nail (DC)
    X-Men
    Wolverine
    Clandestine
    Captain Britain

That first Excaliber one-shot, where the team is created, will always be my favorite work of his.
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.

For me, his best run by far had to be his 2nd run on Excalibur, from issue 42 through 67. His run with Chris Claremont was good, but when he came back to the book with 42, as writer as well as artist (with Mark Farmer in tow for inks), he was firing on all cylinders creatively. And honestly, it's not just my favorite Alan Davis run, but quite possibly one of my favorite creative runs of any book ever. He paid off storylines that he and Claremont had planted years ago in those early issues, not to mention a lot of X-Men and Captain Britain stuff that had been set up even earlier. It was a very satisfying run, with humor, heart, pathos, action and great character moments, not to mention, that amazing Alan Davis art.

One bit of trivia about that run, when he came back with #42 he started drawing the book way early and was comfortably ahead of schedule, enough so that he felt there wouldn't be need of any fill in artists or issues during his run. So he just went ahead and turned his material in to Marvel early, who decided, "hey, look, we have all these Excalibur issues early! Let's go bi-weekly!!", and after one summer of the book being on sale twice a month, Davis fell behind schedule and they had to use fill-in artists.

I loved his JLA: The Nail.

I wish DC had made his Superboy's Legion the official version.

Detective Comics with Mike W. Barr.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

The Nai/Another Nail are gorgeous comics, and should be used as textbooks for character design/revamping. His Batman with Barr, both Excalibur runs, and Avengers work has been gorgeous, too.

Oh, heck, he's just a wonderful artist. He elevates everything he's ever drawn.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Spectacular Member

Alan Davis has been a favorite of mine since that Detective run, I would rank his Detective/Batman and Outsiders run as my favorite, then his JLA nail stories, Avengers with Busiek, Avengers Prime, and his recent Captain America run with Brubaker. I could never get into Excalibur.

The Nail and its sequel. He's the only artist that I can recall that has gotten better as he got older.

Killraven
    Stan Lee Meets Doctor Strange (I'd kill tosee Davis take on Doc long term)
    Captain Britain
    Detective Comics
    Clandestine
    Superboy's Legion

-M

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

As a solo producer, I'd go with the Clandestine/X-Men crossover mini. I think his art peaked at that point, although he is still doing wonderful work. His solo Excalibur run would be second.

As part of a team, I'd go with his Captain Britain run with Jamie Delano. I know, I know... it's sacrilege to pick anything but the "Jasper's Warp" run with Alan Moore, but I think Davis really found his groove as an artist during these issues. (Not that his previous work wasn't great, but he truly refined what he was doing throughout this run. I think it was his first great leap forward as an artist. The second would be when he established his partnership with Mark Farmer.)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    As a solo producer, I'd go with the Clandestine/X-Men crossover mini. I think his art peaked at that point, although he is still doing wonderful work. His solo Excalibur run would be second.

As part of a team, I'd go with his Captain Britain run with Jamie Delano. I know, I know... it's sacrilege to pick anything but the "Jasper's Warp" run with Alan Moore, but I think Davis really found his groove as an artist during these issues. (Not that his previous work wasn't great, but he truly refined what he was doing throughout this run. I think it was his first great leap forward as an artist. The second would be when he established his partnership with Mark Farmer.)
    Yeah you can see the growth in his work with Captain Britain. His cross-time caper in Excalibur is still one of my favorites and I think when he peaked. Even though everything he's done since then has still been top notch. His Savage Hulk is pretty good too so far.

Is Alan Davis doing anything right now? Any work on the horizon? Outside of his recent Wolverine run (which was a bit meh), he seems to have gone silent.

BTW, I would LOVE an Absolute edition containing both The Nail and Another Nail.

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    Is Alan Davis doing anything right now? Any work on the horizon? Outside of his recent Wolverine run (which was a bit meh), he seems to have gone silent.

BTW, I would LOVE an Absolute edition containing both The Nail and Another Nail.
    He's doing the first 5 issue arc on the Savage Hulk mentioned above.

-M

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    He's doing the first 5 issue arc on the Savage Hulk mentioned above.

-M
    I haven't read it yet, but it's getting a lot of positive word of mouth. Going to pick it up next time I'm at the LCS.

Hands down... Excalibur.