Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Guardians of the Galaxy, especially the new Starlord, Gru, Rocket.

The Inhumans. And this is coming from someone that once collected their first series back in the 70s.

Cyclops.

Cyclops' relationships. (Yes, that counts as a character at this point.)

The new version of the Squadron Supreme.

The new Hulk.

Captain Carol Marvel.

Doctor/Brother Voodoo.

Kang.

Doctor Doom.

Moondragon.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phoenix View Post

Binary was the Bomb they should make that her Super Sayian form for intense battles to liven her books up.

Attachment 44437
    Ewing tried that in Ultimates, but because Carol can't achieve Binary levels without someone else boosting her, it fell into a lame plot device of someone more powerful always playing second fiddle to her while she uses their power and resources in order to stay in the limelight. Right now there are two members of the Ultimates that can power up Carol to Binary level: Monica Rambeau and Blue Marvel. No, none of their fans like that arrangement. If Carol can't boost herself, then she shouldn't try to run with the big guns.

Miles Morales

She Hulk

All of the various time displaced X-Men.

Emma Frost

I had to think for a bit to distinguish "characters I dislike" from "character I want to like, but don't."

Carol Dangers: Her stories in the '70s and '80s were much more enjoyable than her current stories. To be honest, the moment she went from Ms. Marvel to Captain Marvel, she became uninteresting to me. Marvel had a great opportunity, but they ruined it by forcing traits on her.

T'Challa: For years and years, I've always wanted to like him, but I just get bored when I read his comics. I think I like more the idea of him. Love his origin, his role, his powers and skill set-- but his personality just doesn't do it for me.

“Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

Spectacular Member

Ms. Marvel. My inner liberal loves having a prominent Muslim character but her costume and powers are just... ew.

Iron Man

Been trying to get into Iron Man since the first Civil War series, but it hasn't happened. Marvel writers "MCU'd" his personality and since I can't stand RDJ's Stark (I find him incredibly annoying and neurotic post IM2), I can't get into comic Stark at all.

Spider-man

Ever since I was a kid, he just never appealed to me. Always seemed like a whiner.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

With nearly all of Marvel's characters, I don't have to try to either like them or not like them. They always seem to fall pretty clearly on one side or the other, if not through their deeds, then definitely through their personality.

Then, there's Peter Parker. Of all the Marvel characters I follow, which is saying a lot, he's the one character I actually struggle to like. He's the only one I really have to try in order to appreciate, but it must not be enough because I find myself liking him less and less, except in Renew Your Vows.

And it's not just because I don't like the direction he's gone in since One More Day. I've just grown tired of how regressive and predictable he's become. Say what you will about Miles, Silk, or Spider-Gwen, but they haven't been around long enough to really fall into a pattern. Their stories are still developing and for the most part, those stories are pretty compelling. Peter, on the other hand, is just stuck in the same brutal cycle. He'll go through a period of growth, then he'll sabotage himself in some elaborate way. I think that's what keeps me from getting to attached to his current persona as a Tony Stark wannabe. It's only a matter of time before he screws this up and is back to sleeping on his Aunt May's couch again. I'm just tired of that story. And I'm tired of all the excuses Peter makes. He makes more than any other character at Marvel, or DC for that matter.

Now I say this as someone who loved Spider-Man in all his forms growing up. But over the past five years or so, I just can't bring myself to like him or root for him in any way.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Name a Marvel Character you want to like..but don't.

I want to like Moon Knight. I really do. The character is in the Marvel top four when it comes to great costumes.

But the writers are obsessed with the "is he really crazy?!" angle and it makes the character a drag to read. Usually I avoid legacy books but if someone said that Marvel is going to get rid of Marc Spector and all his baggage and was going to try a more basic approach I would be in favor of it.
    I know everybody seems to love Ms. Marvel, but after reading the first trade, I found that I did not care for her. Don't know why. She's no worse than any other super hero.

Sandy Hausler

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    He took over Astonishing after Whedon.
    Would you recommend it? The reviews were mixed from what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    Iron Man

Been trying to get into Iron Man since the first Civil War series, but it hasn't happened. Marvel writers "MCU'd" his personality and since I can't stand RDJ's Stark (I find him incredibly annoying and neurotic post IM2), I can't get into comic Stark at all.

Spider-man

Ever since I was a kid, he just never appealed to me. Always seemed like a whiner.
    Iron Man is on that list for me as well.

But only for his solos. I like the "team" version sof Iron Man. But his solos jsut suck. And i've tried every relauncn post fraction
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Magik
    Maria Hill
    Sentry

Iron Fist.
    Daredevil.
    Doctor Strange.
    Captain Marvel.

I like the concepts, the designs, the MCU versions, etc. But I was really bored with their ongoings, and even when they cameoed in some ongoings I was enjoying (this particularly with Captain Marvel and Doctor Strange).

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    With nearly all of Marvel's characters, I don't have to try to either like them or not like them. They always seem to fall pretty clearly on one side or the other, if not through their deeds, then definitely through their personality.

Then, there's Peter Parker. Of all the Marvel characters I follow, which is saying a lot, he's the one character I actually struggle to like. He's the only one I really have to try in order to appreciate, but it must not be enough because I find myself liking him less and less, except in Renew Your Vows.

And it's not just because I don't like the direction he's gone in since One More Day. I've just grown tired of how regressive and predictable he's become. Say what you will about Miles, Silk, or Spider-Gwen, but they haven't been around long enough to really fall into a pattern. Their stories are still developing and for the most part, those stories are pretty compelling. Peter, on the other hand, is just stuck in the same brutal cycle. He'll go through a period of growth, then he'll sabotage himself in some elaborate way. I think that's what keeps me from getting to attached to his current persona as a Tony Stark wannabe. It's only a matter of time before he screws this up and is back to sleeping on his Aunt May's couch again. I'm just tired of that story. And I'm tired of all the excuses Peter makes. He makes more than any other character at Marvel, or DC for that matter.

Now I say this as someone who loved Spider-Man in all his forms growing up. But over the past five years or so, I just can't bring myself to like him or root for him in any way.
    I'm pretty much in agreement with everything you put down. If anything, what I really dislike about Spider-Man/Peter Parker is Marvel's refusal to let him grow and mature as a character and stay that way, just because the people in charge think he was at his best in his earliest years as a struggling, hard-luck teenage outcast and loser desperately trying to cover up his insecurities with quips and jokes and other witticisms. Somehow, everyone else gets to grow and expand the boundaries of their characters, but not Peter Parker, whom Marvel seems bent on keeping as their "youth mascot," which shouldn't mean making him less mature and competent than someone of his years of experience should be. Being "relatable" doesn't and shouldn't make a character a self-sabotaging, inept loser who can't get and keep his s*** together for a significant length of time, and the fact that the people presently in charge at Marvel don't seem to understand that is the real driving force behind Spider-Man's vicious cycle of failure. If anything, I'm rooting for Peter/Spidey to get a new editorial regime at Marvel that understands his character can evolve and grow without losing what made him able to connect with so many fans, readers, and viewers in the first place, and yes, I also enjoy Renew Your Vows.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I know everybody seems to love Ms. Marvel, but after reading the first trade, I found that I did not care for her. Don't know why. She's no worse than any other super hero.

Sandy Hausler
    Not to mention that she is kinda obnoxious even for a teen hero.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

(A note, I do not actively dislike these characters. I am sure if I read more of their books I would have a more cleaer opinion on them, but this is just what I have from my two years of being a Marvel geek.)

Hulk: - Perhaps this character is a bit strange to put on my list, given how She-Hulk is my favorite Marvel character. I think the problem is that the books I have seen the Hulk in its all just pages of HULK SMASH! and I dunno, that's alright but I would like a bit more character development.

Punisher: - I should start by saying that Greg Rucka's Punisher run is one of my all-time favorite books. I love Frank in this. He is a silent killing machine, he is a ghost that lives for only one thing: the mission. The book paints him in a very gray way. Yet any other time I see him its just... is the idea that his methods are too glorified a valid criticism? Frank can be such a good character to explore, but most of time he seems written in a "I am going to shoot that supposed bad guy! His Dead! Aint I amazing? Superheros who do not kill suck!"

Deadpool: - I do not mind reading Deadpools books, and I can see his appeal... his just a character who I can only take in small doses. I feel that the whole "Look at me, I am braking the 4th wall and I am crazy!" aspect of him is becoming a hindrance. I would like to see some more serious takes on this character.

Wolverine (Logan, love Laura & OML): - There are times when I like Logan, when he is made out to be a great protector or tragic figure... but much of the time I think his a blind idiot. My main examples would be The Children's Crusade, where he has little problem trying to kill Wiccan just because of who his mother is, and Age of Ultron where his kills Hank despite being warned over and over how silly a move that would be.

Its interesting to see Carol (And more specifically her Captain Marvel time) being listed. I wonder how much the events of CWII impacted her positions here. Personally speaking I rank her as my third favorite Marvel character, and became a fan of her through Kelly Sues 'Captain Marvel' solo, but each to their own!

Quote Originally Posted by kaimaciel View Post
    Angela
    She's a hunter, a badass and a lesbian, but that's it. Those are her character traits. She just feels so flat.
    Personally speaking those traits are one of the reasons why she is in my Top 5 Marvel Comic character, but again each to there own!

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    The inhumans. I was a fan of them when they were considered a different culture with different rules. And I like some of the nuhumans. But I can't root for them with this terrigen nonsense.
    I think that sums up my position on them too. I love the weird nature of their early stories, but I am not a fan of how they have been made more 'marketable' and frankly they are the villians of the T-mist saga for me.