Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Is Joker insane or simply evil?

A lot of writers and fans say Joker is insane, but I often do not see that in the writing.

Most Joker's actions are premeditated, most crazy people do not commit elaborate premeditated crimes. A lot of Joker's actions are designed to intentionally inflict pain on others for his own amusement, that is not insane, most crazy people do not have the mental capability to know their actions hurt others. Psychopaths hurt others to gain power over them (its the M.O of most serial killers).

So is Joker insane or simply evil?

I think Joker is simply a cynical, anti social psychopath and thus not criminally insane.

insanely evil
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Mighty Member

just evil. there isn't a country in the world where he could be regarded as legally insane and therefore not responsible for his actions. besides, in the realm of superhero comics there are very few characters that could truly be called 'genius' or 'insane'... in spite of narrative hyperbole to the contrary. ;-)

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Joker has antisocial personality disorder, i.e. psychopathy or sociopathy. So he's mentally ill in that sense.

But legal insanity is purely a legal issue and under the predominant standard (effected after Reagan's assassination attempt), Joker probably doesn't meet it. Thus, Joker must have some great lawyers and faking skills in the DCU.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-30-2017 at 11:31 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    insanely evil
    Agreed

But well I think he is more evil than insane. The insanity image comes from enjoying the evil act itself. He doesn't really have a solid purpose unless pure entertainment, does he? I don't know. I'm not Joker so I don't really understand.

BOTH THINGS...

Because he is insane he is evil..

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

The Joker is both, insane and evil
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Exclamation

both

JOKER_voteforme.jpg

DONT 4GET FUNNYYY

The Batfamily Will Preval UnderTheRedHood's Avatar

I think it might be a combination of both. hes also really smart on top of all of that.
    Jason Todd, Cassandra Cain, Helena Wayne, Bruce, Harper, Kate, Dick, Barbra, Thomas, Brenna, Tim, Damian, Duke , Stephanie, Luke, Terry,

#BATSQUAD

BANNED

He's both, but I think he's a lot of evil and not nearly as crazy as he pretends to be.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UnderTheRedHood View Post
    I think it might be a combination of both. hes also really smart on top of all of that.
    ^^^ This ^^^^

Incredible Member

Depends on the writer.

Also, could anyone truly be evil without having something wrong with them? Surely being evil is abnormality of the brain? Any doctors on the board here?

He's not mad. He's differently sane.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    The Joker is both, insane and evil
    I don't you can be truly insane and evil.

Evil is a moral choice, you chose to do something wrong over something right for selfish or immoral reasons. The criminally insane can't make moral choices, their moral agency is impaired.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingcrimsonprog View Post
    Depends on the writer.

Also, could anyone truly be evil without having something wrong with them? Surely being evil is abnormality of the brain? Any doctors on the board here?
    Well psychopaths have different brains then other people, but while they lack empathy, they can understand moral logic.They are legally sane. If a serial killer has OCD, he is still legally sane.

But you can't say a corporate tycoon who endangers or cheats people due to greed, is insane.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 01-29-2017 at 08:24 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    I don't you can truly insane and evil.

Evil is a moral choice, you chose to do something wrong over something right for selfish or immoral reasons. The criminally insane can't make moral choices, their moral agency is impaired.
    Not criminally insane, which is a legal term, not a medical one, and and doesn't actually require you to be mentally ill.
    Regular insane (for comicbook values of regular).

And the Joker isn't even criminally insane. He very clearly knows right from wrong.