Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I meant I think it's past a psychological threshold.

Someone looks at $9.99 and their brain exclaims, "ten bucks!"
    do you think that if enough people purchase this edition, that would mean they have been able to move past that psychological threshold? if you just mean the 'net grumbles, then sure...i can see that. people like to blow off steam.

as a tangent on psychological thresholds: rethinking is what a lot of readers have had to do with the advent of e-books and getting their heads around the fact that they cost as much (if not more) than regular printed novels to purchase. amazon is partly to blame for this, but it's also a lack of understanding that cost of printing represents less than 10% of total production costs. once a psychological threshold is stepped over, things tend to normalise. the $10 giant sized issue might become a new standard.
    Last edited by boots; 01-28-2017 at 10:01 PM.
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    do you think that if enough people purchase this edition, that would mean they have been able to move past that psychological threshold?
    I have no idea. Honestly, I took ASM off my pull list shortly before Clone Conspiracy started . . . but it's been the best Spider-Man read in a long time. So, on the one hand, I'm not committed to buying the issue before it comes out. On the other, I may be interested enough by the time the release date rolls around. There are other factors too: what am I already spending that week? That month? I'm already going to spend $60 on Mass Effect in March, which generally means I'll curb other entertainment spending.

I don't know how average or unusual a customer I am.

as a tangent; it's not too different from the rethinking a lot of readers have had to do with the advent of e-books and getting their heads around the fact that they cost as much (if not more) than regular printed novels to purchase. amazon is partly to blame for this, but it's also a lack of understanding that cost of printing represents less than 10% of total production costs. once that psychological threshold is stepped over, things tend to normalise.
    Again, I couldn't say. I doubt the problem is understanding the value of 88 pages for $9.99. Just that it's in a slot people have $3.99 set aside for in their routine. A bump (even for one issue) to $4.99 or $5.99 is already throwing that off. $9.99 is a bigger deal.

Personally, I'd almost prefer buying a $9.99 book bi-monthly or even quarterly. Can get the same amount of story at the end of the year for a better price. But I'd know I was plopping down the money for the main Slott-Immonen Spidey story.

We don't know what's in there. I imagine one of the stories may well be about Ben. I know you're a fan, but I have no interest in him. So, that's what $1.50 - $2.00 maybe I'm subsidizing for Ben fans. I don't know . . .

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Controversial opinion but I think double sized giant sized issues deserve to be priced 4:99$ at most best examples of this are Ivx #1 and civil war ii #1 or civil war ii #8 and civil war ii the oath which were all 40 pages well the oath was 31 pages but you get the point I think all in all the price tag is justified.

Nobody on this thread even mentioned it's Stuart Immonen's first issue on ASM (!!) and the return of Normal Osbourne.

Not to mention that it's a peak moment or climax of the Clone Conspiracy story, which I'm rather enjoying immensely
    lately.

I'll buy 40 pages of that for $10. Sure to be dope.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I have no idea. Honestly, I took ASM off my pull list shortly before Clone Conspiracy started . . . but it's been the best Spider-Man read in a long time. So, on the one hand, I'm not committed to buying the issue before it comes out. On the other, I may be interested enough by the time the release date rolls around. There are other factors too: what am I already spending that week? That month? I'm already going to spend $60 on Mass Effect in March, which generally means I'll curb other entertainment spending.
    while i don't have a pull list, my approach probably isn't too different: i wait and see what my interest is when the book is released. as it is, i've had a patchy read of clone conspiracy so far.

Again, I couldn't say. I doubt the problem is understanding the value of 88 pages for $9.99. Just that it's in a slot people have $3.99 set aside for in their routine. A bump (even for one issue) to $4.99 or $5.99 is already throwing that off. $9.99 is a bigger deal.

Personally, I'd almost prefer buying a $9.99 book bi-monthly or even quarterly. Can get the same amount of story at the end of the year for a better price. But I'd know I was plopping down the money for the main Slott-Immonen Spidey story.
    i'd almost prefer that too. tbh, i feel worse paying the regular price for a thin pamphlet that i'm done with in about 10 minutes (that's something that's come with age).

but as you say, some readers might have carefully budgeted approaches that would be upset by something like that. completists have no real option.

We don't know what's in there. I imagine one of the stories may well be about Ben. I know you're a fan, but I have no interest in him. So, that's what $1.50 - $2.00 maybe I'm subsidizing for Ben fans. I don't know . . .
    i'd bank on that too (for me, ben became my spidey in the same way rayner or west were my green lantern and flash respectively). the content is a fine personal justification for not wanting to pay more or pay any of the asking price, however most of the complaints seem to be about the idea of a $10 issue in the first place rather than content.
    troo fan or death

Considering like everyone said, this is basically 2 and a half issues, so I can kind of understand they're point of just putting it all into one issue and selling it for $10 instead of releasing 2 issues in the month, with one $4 and the other like $5 or 6. In the end, you'd be spending the same amount anyway, but it is a fair criticism, especially if you don't have a lot of money that current week.

i'll be honest, as a casual (at best) reader, i've probably lost touch with what is "acceptable" in standard comic purchases these days. as ASM is the closest thing i have to a regular comic book, plonking down $13.25 once for a big fat comic book doesn't irk me so much, but i probably invest a lot less in superhero comics than the majority of posters on this board.

at the end of the day, it'll be whatever the market supports.
    I don't know, I'm a pretty casual comics guy too. I've only got a couple series I'm getting stuff in (all in trades), and the only thing I'm getting in single issues is ASM: RYV (mostly to support the series). So, I'm really casual and I still wouldn't spend $10 on a single issue. (I also collect books, so I have a pretty good idea of just how bad a deal comics are in general. I mean, for example; I'm going to be getting the RYV trades as well as the single issues; I'll have effectively paid for the same content twice, despite the fact that the issues are a lot lower quality than the trade is.)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I don't know, I'm a pretty casual comics guy too. I've only got a couple series I'm getting stuff in (all in trades), and the only thing I'm getting in single issues is ASM: RYV (mostly to support the series). So, I'm really casual and I still wouldn't spend $10 on a single issue. (I also collect books, so I have a pretty good idea of just how bad a deal comics are in general. I mean, for example; I'm going to be getting the RYV trades as well as the single issues; I'll have effectively paid for the same content twice, despite the fact that the issues are a lot lower quality than the trade is.)
    well yeah, no two casual readers will necessarily be alike. though i do appreciate inversed's take as it essentially being the bimonthly release all in one go (with a tad extra). that appeals to me, because i'm partial to making one big lump sum payment and getting a full product on the spot over things like instalments and lay away etc.

i don't understand why you would buy a trade as well as the individual issues, but each to their own. that doesn't really fit my definition of casual (which is also a lack of passion as well as buying habits).
    troo fan or death

well yeah, no two casual readers will necessarily be alike. though i do appreciate inversed's take as it essentially being the bimonthly release all in one go (with a tad extra). that appeals to me, because i'm partial to making one big lump sum payment and getting a full product on the spot over things like instalments and lay away etc.
    I can see that.

i don't understand why you would buy a trade as well as the individual issues, but each to their own. that doesn't really fit my definition of casual (which is also a lack of passion as well as buying habits).
    I prefer reading comics from trades. They last longer. I like having them on my shelf. My copy of the RYV miniseries is in trades only, so I want to match that.

RYV is the only comic I will be getting in single issues, and that's because A.) I want to support the series (Marvel finally did something I wanted them to do in the comics department) and B.) It's the first time I've ever followed a series like this before, so it's kind of fun to try. Once that series comes to a close, I won't be getting comics in single format, just trades. In fact, if my Ultimate Spider-Man collection and the few random Star Wars stuff I want are complete, I'll probably quit buying comics period at that point. I'm not a comics fan, I'm just a Spider-Man fan. I do like graphic art and newspaper funnies, so I can appreciate comics, but I have to like they story they're telling or the characters to read 'em.

But, I'm getting both since having the trade is important to me and I'm supporting the series, otherwise, I would just get the trade. (Besides, some people re-buy the same comic over and over again to get different covers. I think me wanting to have copies of them bound in actual books to go along with my floppies isn't more weird and even makes more sense.)
    Last edited by WebLurker; 01-29-2017 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I can see that.

I prefer reading comics from trades. They last longer. I like having them on my shelf. My copy of the RYV miniseries is in trades only, so I want to match that.

RYV is the only comic I will be getting in single issues, and that's because A.) I want to support the series and B.) It's the first time I've ever followed a series like this before, so it's kind of fun to try. Once that series comes to a close, I won't be getting comics in single format. In fact, if my Ultimate Spider-Man collection and the few random Star Wars stuff I want are complete, I'll probably quit buying comics period at that point.

But, I'm getting both since the trade is important to me and I'm supporting the series. (Besides, some people re-buy the same comic over and over again to get different covers. I think me wanting to have copies of them bound in actual books to go along with my floppies isn't more weird and even makes more sense.)

ha! just because i don't understand something doesn't mean i consider it weird. i mean just that; i don't have an understanding of the motivation. your explanation makes perfect sense and i appreciate the insight. i'm also buying clone conspiracy in support, but even though i much prefer trades, i won't be buying cc again in another format. i don't really have that shelf/display need, though it always looks cool when i see it at other people's places.
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    Controversial opinion but I think double sized giant sized issues deserve to be priced 4:99$ at most best examples of this are Ivx #1 and civil war ii #1 or civil war ii #8 and civil war ii the oath which were all 40 pages well the oath was 31 pages but you get the point I think all in all the price tag is justified.
    I don't think an extra buck for double the content is a worthwhile trade for Marvel.

However, this highlights a bigger problem in the industry: four bucks for twenty pages of content is a lot of money.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Nobody on this thread even mentioned it's Stuart Immonen's first issue on ASM (!!) and the return of Normal Osbourne.

Not to mention that it's a peak moment or climax of the Clone Conspiracy story, which I'm rather enjoying immensely
    lately.

I'll buy 40 pages of that for $10. Sure to be dope.
    Yes, and one of the back ups is David and Bagley on Scarlet Spider. People can make their own decisions in how to spend their cash but I'm grabbing this the Wed it comes out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    It's not a filler issue - it's actually what could be the conclusion of a story line.

Uh yeah, five people. Look at circulation numbers and read interviews and look at investment report meetings from the publicly traded company. Overall sales/revenues are down.

Please know what you're talking about before you run off at the mouth and hurl insults.
    And you know who still pulls the bigger comic market share than his rivals?

This company.

Biy, don`t buy, you decide. The sky isn`t falling and this isn`t a new marketing tactic whatsoever.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yes, and one of the back ups is David and Bagley on Scarlet Spider. People can make their own decisions in how to spend their cash but I'm grabbing this the Wed it comes out.
    Yeah, content isn`t just "hey, it got more pages than usual". They`re marketing more than one product with that special issue.

That said, everyone should/will decide whether they`ll buy it or not. Personally I`d rather pay for more actual content over gimmnics I despite more like glowing in the dark variants and other rubbish. To each it`s own.

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    And you know who still pulls the bigger comic market share than his rivals?

This company.

Biy, don`t buy, you decide. The sky isn`t falling and this isn`t a new marketing tactic whatsoever.
    No one EVER said the sky is falling. If you can't get your facts right, then don't comment. Seriously.
    And yeah, charging $10 for a lone comic damn sure is a new marketing tactic.
    But, regardless, I'm off this thread now.
    You're right: buy it or don't. I'm choosing not to. I'll wrap up the Clone Saga, which quite frankly is almost (almost) as dumb as the original Clone Saga and then I'm out. The $10 comic starts a new story line, so it's a good ending point for me.
    truthfully, I never found Slott's stuff all that interesting except for Superior SM, which brought be back to the title.