Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    From what I've seen, Slott's interpretation of the character has nothing to do with the Spider-Man I know and botches the characterizations (his RYV miniseries does get things exactly right, to be fair, but in my experience is the lone exception to the rule).

At any rate, most current stories have been really plot-driven and use crazy sci-fi fantasies over grounded character stuff, which is really ironic, given that Spider-Man is probably the most down-to-earth, well-adjusted character in the genre (as a franchise overall, taking all iterations and interpretations as equal).
    Slott has characters that up until him never got exposure to the stories and having them do something useful. He put aunt may as sort of a consulant manager to peter and made robbie the coolest character in the book after peter himself. Character wise, everyone is pretty much at their badic and fundamental characteristics and Peter is acting like he loving being a hero and putting others before his own self as a company policy.

Peter to me is Superman for the cool kids, he shines out for the coomon man and sets the example for pure humanitarian goodwill so he can provide the best way to live life and do the right thing. But he's not a saint like cap or xaviet, hes a guy that like anyone else likes to try new things and use his life as a superhuman to get ahead in life and Peter got to get something outside his control and is actually wanting to take this opportunity serious with a new chance to make up for his own struggles.

OMD and BND(before secret wars 2) always retold Peter as a enabler to regress himself. Never taking responsibility for himself and being shortsighted, no down to earth realist would shut himself off to self sabotage being a hero and live a functional life like peter would and even before the civil war/omd, he stopped caring about his mission as spiderman and to uncle ben, his dream as a scientist, and making his friends and family let them know safe and keep them noticed. MJ replaced alot of his dynamics with people he could hang out and depend including black cat but it still made Peter more less of a main character who is supposed to get stability and grow.

Peter got to secluded in being Peter Parker, and not getting Spider-Man enough to make a balance a priority. Spiderman is Peter Parker and as Spidetman, his core values come out and mean something precious about his character. IMO, its Spidey who made the marriage something, and it's why he and mj love each other or used to because peter could be the person mj could never open up to since spiderman saved peter and spiderman voices his actions right down to his uncle and down being the average joe who cant get by. I think it wasn't being Spider-Man that makes peter fail at life and lose his marriage, it's because he rather be nothing more than Peter Parker and not understand why that isn't all he is. As Spider-Man, he can get his point across and make a difference as Peter Parker he is using Spidey as a disguise to show case how he is still himself who feels he can have his cake and eat it to. This is what screwed him up, peter puts himself as the end all be all priority to do everything without thinking of the consequences that brings spiderman along for the ride, he treats two problems as one choice. A choice that is a risk of danger of others safety without caution
    If Peter is gonna stop kingpin and make sure hes behind bars not web him up without a care for the locals just so he can call it a night and go home, he should know about how that would end up if he doesn't want fisk to find out where he lives and how willing hes gonna go to make parker miserable. Peter should have money to make Spider-Man able to be ready for any threat to him, the people he saves or his loved ones.

Being Spidey is the ultimate sacrifice and choice. It won't solve all his problems but it will get him to be more direct in actual success and growing up. And CEO Spidey is the awswer to the question, what if Peter started taking being Spider-Man seriously in order to become someone he can be proud of and make up for all his friends and families that payed for his indecisiveness and failures.

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    Slott has characters that up until him never got exposure to the stories and having them do something useful. He put aunt may as sort of a consulant manager to peter and made robbie the coolest character in the book after peter himself. Character wise, everyone is pretty much at their badic and fundamental characteristics and Peter is acting like he loving being a hero and putting others before his own self as a company policy.
    I can only vouch for what I've read, and I don't think, based on that, that Slott got the characters right. Your mileage may vary.

Peter to me is Superman for the cool kids, he shines out for the coomon man and sets the example for pure humanitarian goodwill so he can provide the best way to live life and do the right thing. But he's not a saint like cap or xaviet, hes a guy that like anyone else likes to try new things and use his life as a superhuman to get ahead in life and Peter got to get something outside his control and is actually wanting to take this opportunity serious with a new chance to make up for his own struggles.
    You could make the case that Peter would keep a company that fell in his lap; my thing is that I don't think it works with the character thematically, or as fodder for Spider-Man stories. Once again, your mileage may vary.

OMD and BND(before secret wars 2) always retold Peter as a enabler to regress himself. Never taking responsibility for himself and being shortsighted, no down to earth realist would shut himself off to self sabotage being a hero and live a functional life like peter would and even before the civil war/omd, he stopped caring about his mission as spiderman and to uncle ben, his dream as a scientist, and making his friends and family let them know safe and keep them noticed. MJ replaced alot of his dynamics with people he could hang out and depend including black cat but it still made Peter more less of a main character who is supposed to get stability and grow.
    Maybe? All I can say is that, from what I've read, the status quoes where Peter is raising a family with Mary Jane (like in the Spider-Girl and Renew Your Vows series) seem like a more logical progression forward for the character than him becoming the next Iron Man; it shows him growing as life goes on and reflects the responsibility theme, but is also a very normal part of life. The Spider-Man character has always been the relatable one, with a life much like the average reader's.

Peter got to secluded in being Peter Parker, and not getting Spider-Man enough to make a balance a priority. Spiderman is Peter Parker and as Spidetman, his core values come out and mean something precious about his character. IMO, its Spidey who made the marriage something, and it's why he and mj love each other or used to because peter could be the person mj could never open up to since spiderman saved peter and spiderman voices his actions right down to his uncle and down being the average joe who cant get by. I think it wasn't being Spider-Man that makes peter fail at life and lose his marriage, it's because he rather be nothing more than Peter Parker and not understand why that isn't all he is. As Spider-Man, he can get his point across and make a difference as Peter Parker he is using Spidey as a disguise to show case how he is still himself who feels he can have his cake and eat it to. This is what screwed him up, peter puts himself as the end all be all priority to do everything without thinking of the consequences that brings spiderman along for the ride, he treats two problems as one choice. A choice that is a risk of danger of others safety without caution
    If Peter is gonna stop kingpin and make sure hes behind bars not web him up without a care for the locals just so he can call it a night and go home, he should know about how that would end up if he doesn't want fisk to find out where he lives and how willing hes gonna go to make parker miserable. Peter should have money to make Spider-Man able to be ready for any threat to him, the people he saves or his loved ones.
    Huh. All I can say is that, from my experience, the series was more about a guy who happened to be a superhero, more so than a straight up superhero comic, if that makes any sense.

Being Spidey is the ultimate sacrifice and choice. It won't solve all his problems but it will get him to be more direct in actual success and growing up. And CEO Spidey is the awswer to the question, what if Peter started taking being Spider-Man seriously in order to become someone he can be proud of and make up for all his friends and families that payed for his indecisiveness and failures.
    I'm not so sure about that.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    he was so enclosed within layers of fat that the red skull in a cloned super soldier body coudnt even budge him. I think he really has a certain measure of invulnerability from this showing lol.
    Kingpin only has 2% bodyfat. He's 350 pounds of muscle, which is why he's among the strongest non-enhanced humans out there.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    On paper his Rogues Gallery should probably not be much of a threat to him (as this thread discusses), but that's true for most heroes and I doubt it will preclude said villains from being a major challenge to Spidey in the future or otherwise there would be virtually no challenge in Spidey fighting anyone.

I think Peter is plenty responsible just for doing what he can in New York and chipping in whenever possible. I don't think, with his guilt complex, it behooves him to feel responsible for the entire world and it's people, nor is it beneficial to his character or Spider-Man to make that his primary workload as a Superhero.

Well, he's been a street-level hero for most of his career, so I think you'd be hard-pressed to argue that he isn't meant to mainly be a street-level hero vs. a global one.

And if he isn't Batman, maybe they should tone down the Spider-Vehicles, situational webbing, and successful CEO/industrialist status quo...
    If his Rogues Gallery is little threat to him, doesn't that just further prove my point? His powers and capabilities put him at far beyond the street level. I don't think it is true for most heroes. Look at Batman - the Joker is the one person who can get inside his iron mind. Or Captain America - Red Skull is literally a twisted version of him with more resources. Or Thor - Loki has everything Thor lacks, and is also his brother.

He isn't really chipping in whenever possible if he doesn't even try to do as much as he can. Swinging around aimlessly and stopping whatever crime he manages to come across by luck is a pathetic effort when compared to the solemnity of his vow (great responsibility). It was understandable when he was a rookie hero, but a veteran crime fighter and super genius should have long since figured out how to balance his time and how to make a real, permanent impact on the world. His guilt complex would further his need to help as many people as he could. I don't see why staying true to his word and being responsible for people outside the borders of of New York is not beneficial to his character. If anything, the hypocritical, or at the very least, low effort, nature of his actions is what has done real damage to the character. My favourite superhero is not a complete hypocrite.

He has been, though that's due to a general indifference towards his character motivation, from a variety of writers. Not since that is who he has been written as. The personality he has been given and the actions he takes are polar opposites.

They probably should tone down the vehicles. However, Spidey has been creating situational web fluids since his early days, and I find an inspiring tale of an ordinary man fulfilling the American Dream and rising to success - and best of all, using his success primarily to foster a better world for the rest of us - a much better tale than another rendition (is it the fourth or fifth?) of rich playboy coming back from a voyage/island/adventure to use his completely inherited and unearned fortune to help people. Parker Industries is much more unique and original.