View Poll Results: Who is the better friend to Hal?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oliver

42 33.87%
  • Barry

54 43.55%
  • Both

24 19.35%
  • Neither

4 3.23%
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
    Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angleman70 View Post
    Same with Wonder Woman. I can never figure out why even in pre-COIE , that the second stringers in the JLA always won the day. Diana had lots of power but got beaten in so many stories. Yet there’s Batman who always managed to get around not being taken out early in the story. Does anyone remember the Diana and Barry feud? That was interesting and should have been looked at more closely.
    Barry and Wonder Woman had a feud? I want to hear about this.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Yeah, she had a major beef with Barry and Ollie at the same time. It happened in pre crisis JLA issues 139- 142. Backstory real quick, Diana lost her powers in the 60’s and left the JLA, for a time she continued as a non powered Diana which resulted in losing Steve Trevor. After that she is returned to PI where her mother wiped her memories of her time without powers. This resulted in Diana questioning if she was worthy to return to the JLA and when she did the other members treated her like she wasn’t. She quickly chastised Barry for being a closet male chauvinist and Oliver a loud mouthed know it all. She quickly quits which her mind is taken over by the robot villain Construct. After that the fued kinda continued albeit briefly.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    anybody here thinking that barry seems to have a bettter control of the ring than oliver?
    Two redneck thieves had better control of the ring then Ollie did.

Considering all the times that ring has been stolen, borrowed, and lost... I've Decided that Kyle was just being kind to Ollie by saying it was hard to use... I'm pretty sure Ollie's problem was as always... Ollie.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    anybody here thinking that barry seems to have a bettter control of the ring than oliver?
    I mean, is not like Ollie is particularly known for his force of will right? He abandoned his children, cheated on Dinah like 3 times and can't help but insult every person he knows at least once.

Sure, he survived the island and works as a superhero but I have always liked to think that there are more ulterior reasons about that. Most of Ollie's good qualities come with a certain negative and he definitely is an emotional man (which of course leads to the use of the rings) but at the same time, his emotions can be extremely flickering because of how much he alters them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I mean, is not like Ollie is particularly known for his force of will right? He abandoned his children, cheated on Dinah like 3 times and can't help but insult every person he knows at least once.

Sure, he survived the island and works as a superhero but I have always liked to think that there are more ulterior reasons about that. Most of Ollie's good qualities come with a certain negative and he definitely is an emotional man (which of course leads to the use of the rings) but at the same time, his emotions can be extremely flickering because of how much he alters them.
    Making bad decisions in your personal life is not equivalent to willpower. Hal is nearly as bad as Ollie about screwing up his personal life with bad decisions and impulsive actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Making bad decisions in your personal life is not equivalent to willpower. Hal is nearly as bad as Ollie about screwing up his personal life with bad decisions and impulsive actions.
    Ehhhh.. depends on the writer. Hal's screw up usually fall into the case of divided loyalties. He can protect Ferris Aircraft... OR he can answer the Guardian's summons... he can keep his earth job... OR he can do his sworn duty on another planet.... He tries to juggle too many things and his personal life tends to come in second place, which ticks off his multiple girlfriends and employers... It's not like he's a reporter who can save the world and then turn in a report about it... there isn't much overlap between Hal's personal and cosmic lives...

It's not like Ollie of 'I love only you... but the other girl was pretty hot!' There's an annoying sense of 'I can't help myself' that in DC terms would point to a lack of willpower. On the other hand... he's also very stubborn which usually IS a sign of high will.

So mostly I just HATE the retcon about 'only certain people can use the rings'... It flies too much in the face of 60 years of ringslinging stories.

Always Rakzo

Making bad decisions in your personal life is not equivalent to willpower.
    It is when you can't control yourself from making those bad decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    It's not like Ollie of 'I love only you... but the other girl was pretty hot!' There's an annoying sense of 'I can't help myself' that in DC terms would point to a lack of willpower. On the other hand... he's also very stubborn which usually IS a sign of high will.
    This is funny because Ollie is EXTREMELY stubborn but I believe that comes from a sense of being against other people more than full willpower.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    It is when you can't control yourself from making those bad decisions.
    Jon Stewart blew up a planet, man. All the GLs make a ton of bad decisions because they're all comic book characters and writers make them screw up a lot for dramatic purposes.

Willpower is largely a vague, undefined thing just slapped onto anyone with a GL ring more than anything. Otherwise most superheroes would qualify purely based on the challenges of their station.

Ehhhh.. depends on the writer. Hal's screw up usually fall into the case of divided loyalties. He can protect Ferris Aircraft... OR he can answer the Guardian's summons... he can keep his earth job... OR he can do his sworn duty on another planet.... He tries to juggle too many things and his personal life tends to come in second place, which ticks off his multiple girlfriends and employers... It's not like he's a reporter who can save the world and then turn in a report about it... there isn't much overlap between Hal's personal and cosmic lives...

So mostly I just HATE the retcon about 'only certain people can use the rings'... It flies too much in the face of 60 years of ringslinging stories.
    Yep. I'm all on board with you. The entire premise of someone having more Willpower than another because they act or perform their duties in a certain way will bring up a million contradictions in the stories themselves. It's best not to think too much about it because it can't make sense.
    Last edited by Dred; 03-21-2019 at 06:32 PM.

Always Rakzo

I do like how you edited out the part where what you're saying exactly describes Hal Jordan, noted "best GL ever of all time"
    Hal is not nearly as bad as Ollie at making bad decisions. Hal's actions come from a pure sense of impulsiveness because for the most part he believes what he's doing is right, Ollie on the other hand, knows that what he's doing is wrong and yet he still does it.

Also, I didn't edit anything. I'm just focusing on the important part.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Two redneck thieves had better control of the ring then Ollie did.

Considering all the times that ring has been stolen, borrowed, and lost... I've Decided that Kyle was just being kind to Ollie by saying it was hard to use... I'm pretty sure Ollie's problem was as always... Ollie.
    Is that Broaderick or Cullins art?
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Broderick.

I do like that Johns made it difficult to use the ring. If it were a just wishing ring, it kinda detracts from every corps member. I don't think someone like Ollie should be left barely able to walk afterwards, but there has to be some effort to do anything effectively other than make bubbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Yep, Borderick

Green Lantern vol 3 #3

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Broderick.

I do like that Johns made it difficult to use the ring. If it were a just wishing ring, it kinda detracts from every corps member. I don't think someone like Ollie should be left barely able to walk afterwards, but there has to be some effort to do anything effectively other than make bubbles.
    Thanks, guys. I’m on my phone, so the image wasn’t the clearest for me. I love Broderick’s stuff. Especially his run on Firestorm.
    Yep, Borderick

Green Lantern vol 3 #3
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Yep, Borderick

Green Lantern vol 3 #3
    Great story. Hal and Guy have to get their rings back and have a good old fashion old western brawl in the street.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I didn't like it at all. I felt it was sloppy. Which was really strange considering how much care and thought I believe when into GL:Rebirth… that was a sore thumb to me...

1) The idea that is some 'special' thing about specific lanterns that somehow makes them unique amongst themselves... but is shared throughout the universe between squirrel people, blob peoples and even robots and planets... doesn't work for me.

2) The ring has been passed down by family in the past... so it's more common than thought.

3) There are enough oversight and qualifications for the corps that each of the members should be considered 'Special'... without being the only ones that can use the ring...

4) It disregards previous stories. And that's the big one. The idea that Green Lanterns have the most powerful weapon in the universe and XXXXXXXX wants to get his hands on it is a COMMMON theme in GL lore. Good guys, Bad guys, aliens, whatever... have constantly been shown to get their hands on the ring and make it work. Creating a retcon to now say it doesn't... is sloppy writing.

A good retcon takes place between the issues and between the panels that we've been shown and introduces or explains away some questions we have. "Why does the yellow impurity exist" is a good question... but just saying "yeah, the impurity never existed' changes or disregards too many stories.

And honestly... Is the Green Lantern as much a hero without his weapon??? and What happens when his enemy has his power??? are two FANTASTIC themes and stories to explore. Painting yourself in the corner like that?? I didn't like it at all.

Heck I didn't like it when Kyle changed his ring to 'only work for his bloodline'. It just... cuts off too many stories that could be told.