View Poll Results: Who is the better friend to Hal?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oliver

42 33.87%
  • Barry

54 43.55%
  • Both

24 19.35%
  • Neither

4 3.23%
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

The Flash is everyone's best friend.

Not even just talking about Barry, but Wally too. We haven't had a Flash yet who isn't a nice guy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beercorn View Post

Not even just talking about Barry, but Wally too. We haven't had a Flash yet who isn't a nice guy.
    you should read the dark flash saga for a grim and gritty flash Walter west who is pushed over the brink due to Linda being killed.

Extraordinary Member

I always saw it like Hal and Barry are like good friends, but Hal and Ollie were like brothers and hung out a lot together.

One of the things that I liked about the Englehart era JLA (or was that Maggin?)was the implication that there were informal little sub cliques in the League for both the married and unmarried Leaguers (with the big three in their own separate clique).

Quote Originally Posted by Beercorn View Post

Yeah but Flash and GL being best buds has been a tradition since the Golden Age. Jay wasn't as good of a friend to Hawkman or Doctor Fate as he was to Alan. And here even if he tends to get along with pretty much everyone, Barry isn't as good of a friend to Clark or Bruce, as he is to Hal.

I voted Hal and Barry, simply because I hate to see super powered heroes team up with powerless ones. When that happens, the writer usually ends up giving the powerless hero a Bat-God type platform in order to stand his ground and not look useless, or ends up making the super powered hero look like a mentally inept wimp just to give the powerless hero some shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I voted Hal and Barry, simply because I hate to see super powered heroes team up with powerless ones. When that happens, the writer usually ends up giving the powerless hero a Bat-God type platform in order to stand his ground and not look useless, or ends up making the super powered hero look like a mentally inept wimp just to give the powerless hero some shine.
    that... does tend to happen with some stories...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    green lantern v4 21 comes to mind where half was jobbed to the tattoo man.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    even with superman and batman

Astonishing Member

For me, I have to vote Ollie.

Barry and Hal are great and they have wonderful charisma. But honestly I don't see it all that often. GL was a back up story for some years in Flash but they were still solo stories. Naturally Flash and GL were on the same JLA, but everyone was buddies with everyone back then... Most of the 'they are awesome friends' feels like it was retconned in years later honestly. It just didn't feel that special at that time.

Ollie however? Green Lantern/Green Arrow SHARED a book for years, and even when they stopped sharing the book, Hal would still stop by Ollies for some chili or complain about the women in their lives. That felt more like a real solid friendship to me. It didn't help that Barry was dead for 30 years when relationships really got focused on...

I also think it's interesting to note... that when Barry and Hal have adventures, Barry is usually the cool collected one and Hal is wild card.... When Hal and Ollie together, Hal has to be the voice of reason while Ollie is one of the biggest Hot-heads in comicdom.

Just an interesting observation. Hal is vastly two different things to his two best buds. Though part of me thinks Tom should be on that list somewhere

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post

I also think it's interesting to note... that when Barry and Hal have adventures, Barry is usually the cool collected one and Hal is wild card.... When Hal and Ollie together, Hal has to be the voice of reason while Ollie is one of the biggest Hot-heads in comicdom.

Just an interesting observation. Hal is vastly two different things to his two best buds. Though part of me thinks Tom should be on that list somewhere
    interesting observation.

i do agree, tom should be up there among hal's best buds.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    interesting observation.

i do agree, tom should be up there among hal's best buds.
    Yeah, the thing is... even is Tom was on the list though... I'm not sure I'd have voted for him. It was extremely rare and usually revisionist when Hal REALLY treated him like a friend. He was always around, He protected the guy, shared his ID with him... but really it was never a truly equal friendship. At his best Tom was treated like a sidekick, and more normally like a groupie or president of his fan club. Someone to come back after the fighting and brag about his adventures while he dutifly wrote them in his scrapbook then covered for the hero when he had to fly away again.

Flash and Green Arrow? They never really came close to that. They always had that friendship where even if they weren't saving anyone that day... they may still hang out and chat, or have a bbq, or watch a game... With Tom? I always had the feeling that Hal would stand him up in a heartbeat if anything better came along.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Yeah, the thing is... even is Tom was on the list though... I'm not sure I'd have voted for him. It was extremely rare and usually revisionist when Hal REALLY treated him like a friend. He was always around, He protected the guy, shared his ID with him... but really it was never a truly equal friendship. At his best Tom was treated like a sidekick, and more normally like a groupie or president of his fan club. Someone to come back after the fighting and brag about his adventures while he dutifly wrote them in his scrapbook then covered for the hero when he had to fly away again.

Flash and Green Arrow? They never really came close to that. They always had that friendship where even if they weren't saving anyone that day... they may still hang out and chat, or have a bbq, or watch a game... With Tom? I always had the feeling that Hal would stand him up in a heartbeat if anything better came along.
    the last good story i read about tom was the last will and testament.

tom and the rest of hal's supporting cast kinda fell of the grid with all these space adventures..

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    even with superman and batman
    It ALWAYS happens with Superman and Batman, and I HATE it. Superman---a guy who comes from a scientifically advanced alien race and who regularly operates technology in the Fortress of Solitude that would make the technology in the Batcave look like Fisher Price toys---gets written like a dumb, meathead, all brawn and no brains idiot in order to make Batman look extra smart since he can't keep up with Superman physically. And that's just when they team up. We're not even going to talk about how writers always come up with ridiculous excuses for Batman to beat Superman when they fight each other.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    It ALWAYS happens with Superman and Batman, and I HATE it. Superman---a guy who comes from a scientifically advanced alien race and who regularly operates technology in the Fortress of Solitude that would make the technology in the Batcave look like Fisher Price toys---gets written like a dumb, meathead, all brawn and no brains idiot in order to make Batman look extra smart since he can't keep up with Superman physically. And that's just when they team up. We're not even going to talk about how writers always come up with ridiculous excuses for Batman to beat Superman when they fight each other.
    same here.

somehow characters like superman and green lantern get jobbed in favor of propping up the street level comrade. i realize its hard to balance the power set of characters to make everybody relevant. i think grant morrison did a good job in jla when it came to writing capable league members.