View Poll Results: Who is the better friend to Hal?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oliver

42 33.87%
  • Barry

54 43.55%
  • Both

24 19.35%
  • Neither

4 3.23%
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I voted for Barry.
    He & Hal first teamed up in GL #13 (1962) - I have a nice copy
    Then again in Flash #131 (Sep 1962) - I have a nice copy of this one too.
    Hal & Ollie didn't team up (I think) until 1970?

Hal & Ollie's friendship seems bigger as the Adams/O'Neil run has become SO iconic.
    Personally, I don't think the stories have aged very well at all, but different strokes for different folks.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I'll say Ollie, because, in the 1970's, they had a comic together.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Definitely Barry. This is with having read through Hals series and reading his team up with both.

Hal and Barry had a natural friendship and adventures and the stories showed how they were friends.

Oliver I don't know. They say that the are friends but it's not really shown. And the personalities that are shown don't really match up. When they are together it's more of passive aggressive or friendly jabs at each other at the most.

As for the (in)famous hard traveling heroes, that is definitely not evidence for their friendship. The opposite actually. The whole story was them at each others throats. Or rather Oliver at Hals throat, constantly attacking him for not being as "with it" as him.

I never got why Hal.and Oliver are friends besides the lip serve that they are. I think it's just because of the well known hard traveling heroes where they weren't even put together to show what friends they are but rather because O'Neil wanted to use GA as his mouth piece and used Hal to bounce off of.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Definitely Barry. This is with having read through Hals series and reading his team up with both.

Hal and Barry had a natural friendship and adventures and the stories showed how they were friends.

Oliver I don't know. They say that the are friends but it's not really shown. And the personalities that are shown don't really match up. When they are together it's more of passive aggressive or friendly jabs at each other at the most.

As for the (in)famous hard traveling heroes, that is definitely not evidence for their friendship. The opposite actually. The whole story was them at each others throats. Or rather Oliver at Hals throat, constantly attacking him for not being as "with it" as him.

I never got why Hal.and Oliver are friends besides the lip serve that they are. I think it's just because of the well known hard traveling heroes where they weren't even put together to show what friends they are but rather because O'Neil wanted to use GA as his mouth piece and used Hal to bounce off of.
    I usually consider them better friends AFTER the Hard traveling days. Those were only the #72-89 13 issue run of Hal getting brow beat all the time... Green Lantern #90 onward had more of a friendship to it. Crashing on the couch, chatting about women, eating chili and BBQ when he was in town... teaming up against Sinstro and the likes. THOSE issues showed a pretty solid working friendship. Or maybe even something more... I think by the end there, Barry and Hal were considered good friends... but the way Hal and Ollie got on each others nerves yet always had each other's back was a bit more like Brothers...

The way I look at it, Hal and Barry are more like traditional best friends while Hal and Ollie are vitrolic best buds.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The way I look at it, Hal and Barry are more like traditional best friends while Hal and Ollie are vitrolic best buds.
    Hal is one of the few people who can actually put up with Ollie, so that's certainly a big reason why they're labeled as bffs. lol

As for the topic itself I think Barry for purely entertainment purposes without really delving into their friendship. I just enjoy their Flash/GL team-ups better.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-30-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Hal is one of the few people who can actually put up with Ollie, so that's certainly a big reason why they're labeled as bffs. lol

As for the topic itself I think Barry for purely entertainment purposes without really delving into their friendship. I just enjoy their Flash/GL team-ups better.
    Very few people could put up with Oliver. It's amazing Hal puts with him but from time to time has lost pagience with the Guardians.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Vitrolic. definition is given as "filled with bitter criticism or malice.". Yup. Sounds about right.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

I am going with Green Lantern - Green Arrow. Because it's not easy being green.

Barry, I would say, but it is debatable.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Vitrolic. definition is given as "filled with bitter criticism or malice.". Yup. Sounds about right.
    That doesn't sound like friendship at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    somehow they make it look easy...

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    somehow they make it look easy...

Great image^!
    Although I prefer the Red & Green

Joining Green Lantern Green Arrow cause they were both Green was a fun but pretty superficial reason, and to make it work they really had to force Jordan into a more square, by the book, conservative role, to play off Ollie's liberal urban Robinhood, which never fit Jordan's more free willed, adventurous personality.
    Also Hal's powers often had to be PIS'ed down, to make Queen look more viable and useful. It was really a disservice to Jordan's character.
    A much stronger match power-wise is Jordan & Allen.
    Waid once captured how to play their personalities off each-other:
    Somewhat two buddy cops dynamic, but with a twist.

Barry being a - by the book, formal cop, a bit geeky, square, a bit o.c.d. in his real life and day job - And expressing an unimagined freedom and awe in his superhero life.

While Hal was the opposite, a free, bit of a drifter, somewhat reckless maverick in his real life - And in his Superhero life a formal cop tasked to follow (although he rarely did) rules.

They each envied aspects of the other's opposite life.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    A Jordan and Allen LIGHT -SPEED team-up book would always be welcome .
    Not sure how they are playing them now.
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-20-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Joining Green Lantern Green Arrow cause they were both Green was a fun but pretty superficial reason, and to make it work they really had to force Jordan into a more square, by the book, conservative role, to play off Ollie's liberal urban Robinhood, which never fit Jordan's more free willed, adventurous personality.
    Also Hal's powers often had to be PIS'ed down, to make Queen look more viable and useful. It was really a disservice to Jordan's character.

True, but that's not REALLY that different then when they team up Superman and Batman in any World's Finest kind of adventure. They have to always juggle things around in order to make the 'human' useful around the 'all powerful' one.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    True, but that's not REALLY that different then when they team up Superman and Batman in any World's Finest kind of adventure. They have to always juggle things around in order to make the 'human' useful around the 'all powerful' one.
    Yah but in that case the end results were opposite of what you describe; elevating the 'human' Batman to near godlike status so he can hang with Superman.
    While here it was "grounding' Cosmic character and concept, once space faring recognized to wield a cosmic ring and patrol the universe! Now making him an arbitrator of street thugs, corrupt senators, and tenants rights. LOL

I mean this is the nature of having a mixed group of characters, it's fine, for arcs and makes for a great team dynamic. I love it.
    But as a team-up series it betrayed Jordan not just his character pushing him into a type he was not, but much of the whole fantastic sci-fi Corps concept.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-31-2018 at 02:46 PM.