Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Is DC selling just print ones with no code still?

I thought they were adding codes to all their 3.99 books.... ?
    The books that are increasing in price to $3.99 are gaining codes and the digital price is remaining at $2.99. The books that are shipped twice monthly are remaining at $2.99 for both print and digital. While there's been no official statement the fact that none of the previously $3.99 books were mentioned as getting codes, it appears that those books are remaining at that price in both formats and not including a code.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
    The books that are increasing in price to $3.99 are gaining codes and the digital price is remaining at $2.99.

So that doesn't contradict what I said lol

It should still be worrying for a LCS. Very worrying.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Amazing Member

I am. I used the codes to read my books on my tablet when the kids are asleep. This way I never woke them and I was able to keep up with my weekly books.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I'm not bothered personally as I never used them anyhow but I do feel sorry for those who used them and enjoyed them.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm721 View Post
    I've never peeled slowly and saw the digital download. I buy print books for my printed collection. I'd rather save the $1 they charged for it. I'm upset they aren't reducing the price. I miss the $2.99 price, id end up buying more books.
    I would have been happy if they dropped the code AND lowered the print price to reflect that since I don't read digital comics.
    But for various other reasons (constant crossovers and relaunches for one), I haven't been buying very many Marvel titles recently, and the one I do buy and truly enjoy (Black Widow) is apparently ending in two more issues (though I don't know if Marvel is even officially saying that yet).

I always redeemed my codes but only read the print copy. But it was good to have a back-up which I could easily access to give myself a recap of what happened in the previous issue, before diving in to the latest issue of that series again.

I'm more bummed out on how Marvel claim that the new revamp gives readers more value for their money and that it helps drive more sales for the local comic shops. You don't need me to explain how this dumb move clearly contradicts their claims. It's shocking.
    {>_<} Show your love for comics by supporting your Local Comic Shop.

{>_<} Keep track of your comics library and weekly pull list with the awesome League of Comic Geeks website.

Quote Originally Posted by Apama View Post
    I always redeemed my codes but only read the print copy. But it was good to have a back-up which I could easily access to give myself a recap of what happened in the previous issue, before diving in to the latest issue of that series again.
    I did the same.

I haven't quite decided what I'm going to do about this yet... but needless to say, I'm quite peeved.

Quote Originally Posted by Apama View Post
    . . . I'm more bummed out on how Marvel claim that the new revamp gives readers more value for their money and that it helps drive more sales for the local comic shops. You don't need me to explain how this dumb move clearly contradicts their claims. It's shocking.
    If they had continued to charge the same price for print and digital I could see the argument making some sense, but if they lower the digital price only vs. the $3.99 print price, it really sounds disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by durabill View Post
    Just wondering who else thinks removing the digital copy of the book you purchased is a mistake by Marvel.
    I loved being able to read my comics anywhere on my phone or tablet.
    At $3.99 a pop I'm seriously thinking about reducing my pull list of Marvel titles for the first time in years!!
    I've already reduced my Marvel pull list from ~$70-80/mo to ~$20/mo ($16/mo once Black Widow ends). The digital copy was a very good incentive for me as I prefer to use the much more refined comiXology app over the clunky Marvel Unlimited app. Without that incentive, I had to assess which Marvel titles I'm actually excited to read on new comics Wedsneday and which ones I would be more than fine waiting on Marvel Unlimited.

Gonna pick up some more trades and new titles from smaller pubs with the money saved - American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Old Guard, Red Sonja, etc.
    Last edited by rui no onna; 01-31-2017 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    I did the same.

I haven't quite decided what I'm going to do about this yet... but needless to say, I'm quite peeved.
    I'm thinking I'm dropping some books.
    The $3.99 price tag is totally unjustified at this point.
    I didn't mind paying the extra buck with a digital copy included.
    I have no interest in books I already have or do not care about.
    Marvel has made my choice for me and we all lose in the end. ( Marvel, my LCS and me)

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    So that doesn't contradict what I said lol

It should still be worrying for a LCS. Very worrying.
    Actually, it does: Print + Digital is not the same as print. DC is selling two formats for a dollar more than one format. It's much fairer than Marvel's $3.99 for print + digital or $3.99 for digital only.

One does not equal two. Any DC book where you can buy both print and digital separately, they are the same price. Only the books where you get both print and digital copies in one package have a price differential and in those cases the LCS and digital purchasers aren't buying the same thing.

Print buyers may not want or use the digital codes, but they are getting two copies where digital buyers are getting one. Digital buyers are paying less because they're getting less; so it's not a direct comparison.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    Yeah, gonna miss selling those codes
    This. (10char)
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

For me, it just means that only certain books that I want to physically own I will buy in print (but I'm already down to just 1 Marvel title a month: Hulk). And for those title(s) I am going to wait until comixology has a sale on them in order to buy the digital copy.

I'm also signed up to Marvel Unlimited, so for other books I want to try, I will just wait the 6 months or if I really want to try them as they are released, then I'll just get a digital copy instead.

I can't see the change being anything but a bad thing for print comic sales going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhatch View Post
    I can't see the change being anything but a bad thing for print comic sales going forward.
    Agreed on this point. I can understand why they're removing the codes (to prevent trading/gray market sales) but the BS marketing spin that this is somehow bringing more value to customers and are designed to get people to visit their LCS more often really sticks in my craw.
    Last edited by rui no onna; 01-31-2017 at 01:10 PM.

I live in a town that doesn't have a comic shop, (well it has a toy store that can order comics for you, but half the time the employees forget and then try to convince you the comic you wanted them to order doesn't exist) so I give money to my best friend who lives in a larger city that has a comic book shop. She buys my comics and then texts me the digital code. When I visited her I would pick up the actual comics. Now I won't be able to do that anymore. I don't know how I am going to get my comics.