Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default DC's "Vigilante" gritty '80's crime/superhero series - TPB out April 2017

Interesting news to those of us old enough to remember DC's "Vigilante" gritty crime/superhero series from the '80's - the first 11 issues will be reprinted in a Trade coming out in April 2017. Hard to believe such an obscure series will be reprinted - but, since I'm a huge fan of most of DC's 80's series, I'll be getting this on Day 1.

To those unfamiliar with the character, The Vigilante was a masked "super hero" who went after criminals because his family had been victims of a brutal crime - similar to The Punisher's origin over at Marvel. However, the Vigilante stories were much more violent, disturbing, and in many cases sickening. As a young teen, I remember reading some of these at the time & finding many of them hard to stomach.

Here are some interesting links re: the series:

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Vigilante/Covers

http://dcinthe80s.tumblr.com/post/52397854250/vigilante
    Last edited by ROM Spaceknight; 01-28-2017 at 09:15 PM.

BANNED

Probably reprinting them cuz he's in arrow

Incredible Member

I've always wanted to read these so I cant wait for this book to arrive (I know he made appearances in New Teen Titans as well).

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

although I kinda prefer the pre crisis western themed version of Vigilante. I've never had the opportunity to read the series though so this is right up my alley. and I kinda wonder if DC is publishing a lot of this stuff to get people hyped for Rebirth. They have been publishing a lot more obsure runs lately, like the 1992 JSA series, and their newest silver/bronze age omnibus's.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

I know Alan Moore did a couple of issues later in the series, so this is maybe a case where DC may publish a second TPB eventually?

Or maybe not...DC may take the line that it's already included in "DC Universe of Alan Moore"?

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    Probably reprinting them cuz he's in arrow
    Yep. I imagine Chase and Vigilantes current prominence on Arrow is the reason this run is being collected.

That and possibly the existence of the recent mini and the cues it takes from Chase's Vigilante.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I know Alan Moore did a couple of issues later in the series, so this is maybe a case where DC may publish a second TPB eventually?

Or maybe not...DC may take the line that it's already included in "DC Universe of Alan Moore"?
    It is called Vol. 1, so if sales are decent, I assume they'll move through the series.

Fantastic Member

Yeah, I hope so. Vigilante was an excellent - if disturbing - series. It wasn't just a crime series; other DC Super heroes (Nightwing, etc.) and super villains did make appearances.

I definitely hope they reprint all 50 issues. I lost track of this series about mid-way through, so if they reprint all of them in many cases I'll be reading these issues for the first time.
    Last edited by ROM Spaceknight; 01-29-2017 at 05:48 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ROM Spaceknight View Post
    Yeah, I hope so. Vigilante was an excellent - if disturbing - series. It wasn't just a crime series; other DC Super heroes (Nightwing, etc.) and super villains did make appearances.

I definitely hope they reprint all 50 issues. I lost track of this series about mid-way through, so if they reprint all of them in many cases I'll be reading these issues for the first time.
    Is it really that dark?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    Is it really that dark?
    Yes, it's a fairly disturbing - and at times horrific - series:

http://dcinthe80s.tumblr.com/post/52397854250/vigilante

"Vigilante" was a "mature readers" comic book, so it had a lot more adult themes, violence, sex, etc. I know it impacted me when I was young, but I wonder how tame it might seem today? Either way, it was a pretty good book and I love Perez's design.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    "Vigilante" was a "mature readers" comic book, so it had a lot more adult themes, violence, sex, etc. I know it impacted me when I was young, but I wonder how tame it might seem today? Either way, it was a pretty good book and I love Perez's design.
    Yeah, as a young teen when Vigilante was out, I was glad I could buy this at the LCS without a problem. However, I'm glad my parents didn't know I was reading it - LOL.

Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

With DC's recent cancellations of Legion Lost and JLI TPB, i really hope this isn't affected. It's getting to be a bit much.
    Phantom rough on roughnecks- Old Jungle Saying

BANNED

I'd like to see someone do a more mature take on the character, similar to the 80's series. The new series is good, but my version of the series would be more like a Tarantino flick.. Comics are becoming more cuddly and colorful since readers were too soft and couldn't handle dark stuff. I would like the balance to be restored, that is all.

Fantastic Member

The '80's Vigilante series & many other comics from that era really pushed the envelope re: content at that time - to be honest, at that time I was amazed that they were able to include the extreme violence & in some cases nudity that was featured in these comics.

I agree that many of the 200X - on comics are actually quite tame in comparison to many of the '80's comics.