Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hmm. I like the look of this, but I'm not a fan of Marv Wolfman.

What to do...

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Hmm. I like the look of this, but I'm not a fan of Marv Wolfman.

What to do...
    Honestly...don't buy it if you don't like the main writer. No concept is writer proof.

If you like idea of a DC hero willing to go onto the streets willing to kill if need be, you may be better off trying Marc Andreyko's Manhunter series, if you've not read...large sections of that were very good.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Honestly...don't buy it if you don't like the main writer. No concept is writer proof.

If you like idea of a DC hero willing to go onto the streets willing to kill if need be, you may be better off trying Marc Andreyko's Manhunter series, if you've not read...large sections of that were very good.
    I've got Manhunter already.

TBH, I think part of what draws me to Vigilante is the historical artifact side of it. This came out at a time when DC comics were rapidly evolving, and this is one of the few "mature readers" books from that era that I didn't read at the time.

Looks like Vol. 1 was released in April 2017, but I guess there hasn't been a second volume for this collection?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Looks like Vol. 1 was released in April 2017, but I guess there hasn't been a second volume for this collection?
    They should’ve included #12-15. That would’ve captured Wolfman’s entire run.

I remember this series well. I liked that there was a mature line and a mainstream line, even though they shared the same continuity. I was just at that age where the edgier stuff like Vigilante really appealed to me. It packed quite a bit into 50 issues. I did drift away from the book sometime before it ended. It was pretty gloomy. I’d like to read the entire run.

Fantastic Member

No news here, but I hope that DC goes ahead and reprints the rest of the Vigilante series. However, since Volume 1 came out almost three years ago & no volume 2 has been solicited, who knows if/when these reprints will continue.

In any case, excellent stories. Adrian Chase/The Vigilante is not at all a "Punisher" copy-cat, though that's what some people were saying back in the '80's when the comic was originally out. The stories here are very intelligent & well-written, with great art and fantastic action scenes.

Vigilante was a very hit-n-miss book for me, mostly because I don't particularly like Punisher-type characters.

But as the book darkened, and it became obvious that they writers were intentionally telling the story of an increasingly broken man, rather than a heroic, um, vigilante, it became fascinating.

Its ending is a brutally effective counterpoint to Marvel's incessant pushing of the Punisher in the 80's.

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XXV (March 1987)

Vigilante is reportedly showing up on the "Peacemaker" tv show. It remains to be seen which one or how they will be depicted. I wonder if his appearance was inspired by this:
    Vigilante36.jpg

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Vigilante is reportedly showing up on the "Peacemaker" tv show. It remains to be seen which one or how they will be depicted. I wonder if his appearance was inspired by this:
    Vigilante36.jpg
    Oh, no doubt.

Kinda a shame, I always thought Peacemaker should be a Punisher time for war criminals.

Instead, they made him into a crazier Comedian

I’m hoping the new Peacemaker show will lead DC to collect more of the 80s series and the 2008 series.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Vigilante36.jpg
    That is super cool! I had no idea that the Peacemaker had actually shown up in the Vigilante run.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Vigilante_Vol_1_36

It's great that James Dunn is shining the light on these two relatively obscure DC characters.

I highly recommend the Peacemaker tv series on HBO

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I thought about getting this book. Is it any good?
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I thought about getting this book. Is it any good?
    I enjoyed it. It eventually becomes a chronicle of Adrian Chase’s downward spiral.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka