Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hmmm main thing I know about Vigilante is that he got his butt kicked by General Eiling in DCAU.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I thought about getting this book. Is it any good?
    The Adrian Chase series is both good and bad.

On the one hand, it did look seriously as the toll and cost of being a ruthless, murderous anti-hero from a bunch of sides. Long before we saw police in wearing Frank Castle's trademark, Chase was being assisted by cops who looked the other way. His eventual end was tragic and fitting.

On the other hand, his series was full of 80s hysteria. Unless I missed a news bulletin, kids weren't being kidnapped off the street to be sold in the Middle East. Video games did not, in fact, turn teenagers into roving packs of animals.

That said, some parts would be considered bold and edgy today. Shockingly, they actually had the balls to make Adrian wrong in his first couple of issues AND have a sympathetic rapist

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Hmmm main thing I know about Vigilante is that he got his butt kicked by General Eiling in DCAU.
    Wrong one

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I ignored it when I see it on DCUI, it just looks goofy. Shocked to learn it was one of the mature readers books.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    The Adrian Chase series is both good and bad.

On the one hand, it did look seriously as the toll and cost of being a ruthless, murderous anti-hero from a bunch of sides. Long before we saw police in wearing Frank Castle's trademark, Chase was being assisted by cops who looked the other way. His eventual end was tragic and fitting.

On the other hand, his series was full of 80s hysteria. Unless I missed a news bulletin, kids weren't being kidnapped off the street to be sold in the Middle East. Video games did not, in fact, turn teenagers into roving packs of animals.

That said, some parts would be considered bold and edgy today. Shockingly, they actually had the balls to make Adrian wrong in his first couple of issues AND have a sympathetic rapist

Wrong one
    Seriously? I get that the 80s were a paranoid time but even for DC that sounds like a bit much.
    Assassinate Putin!

When I look back on that series, “mature” back then probably meant late teens or something. It was edgy & it appealed to me as a 15 or 16 yr old but I don’t know if it would grab modern readers. Adrian Chase had to have one of the most bleak ending arcs in comics.

I was reading this when Crisis & Dark Knight were coming out. It felt like comics were so “grown up”. Batman beating up Superman was so cool. By the time I got to my 20’s I missed the simpler pre-Crisis era.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Vigilante is reportedly showing up on the "Peacemaker" tv show. It remains to be seen which one or how they will be depicted. I wonder if his appearance was inspired by this:
    Attachment 105319
    I still feel pissed at the sight of Peacemaker for that murder-moment.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Seriously? I get that the 80s were a paranoid time but even for DC that sounds like a bit much.
    Video games taught them murder!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    Adrian Chase had to have one of the most bleak ending arcs in comics.
    For "super-hero" comics, yeah. But I'll be damned if it didn't land.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Wrong one
    Hunh, I looked it up on the wiki and apparently there's 9 Vigilantes.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Hunh, I looked it up on the wiki and apparently there's 9 Vigilantes.
    It's a good name, but they can't seem to attach it to a character with lasting power. Chase has probably made the most impact, which is why he's been used (in some form) twice now in live action.

And yeah, the Adrian Chase series was a great dive into the ugliness of violence and its repercussions. (for a superhero comic and for the time)

I somehow got these comics in a box from someone and read them when I was.....maybe in middle school? I thought his costume was cool but when I read that last issue I remember being like, WTF???!!!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

I wonder with the popularity of the show, if they will bring the character back? I'm sure that 80's timeline has been quasi erased.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    I wonder with the popularity of the show, if they will bring the character back? I'm sure that 80's timeline has been quasi erased.
    Everything is cannon but I’m sure somone might now that they have been reminded

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    I dunno, I'd rather they keep Chase's suicide vs. having yet another Deadpool running around

In the past two weeks, I bought an eBay lot with Vigilante #14-50 (I already had the trade paperback that collects #1-11) and the Mattel DC Universe Classics action figure. I have my four missing issues (#12-13 and Annuals 1 and 2) arriving tomorrow from a separate eBay seller.

Last edited by Big Bad Voodoo Lou; 01-23-2022 at 08:23 AM.
    Author of the law review article "The Lawyer as Superhero: How Marvel Comics' Daredevil Depicts the American Court System and Legal Practice," Capital University Law Review, Vol. 47, No. 2 (2019).
    Download it for free at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3389544