BANNED

Default "A obsolete race with predictable techniques: Ares and Survival of the Fittest

Ares should pander to violence and rage not because "hahaha Amazon, fall before my evil evilness of pure evil!", but because he sees it as a testing ground for those worthy to exist. He sees it as nature and survival of the fittest manifesting itself in man's nature, believing that peace causes stagnation, not advancement. Peace causes laziness, and through such unpreparedness for war time, civilizations make themselves weak and susceptible to conquest. He also questions how much of his acceptance/adherence to violence is his logical analysis of its results, or how much is his own nature.

Wouldn't this give him an interesting angle, and elevate him beyond potential being written as a generic Doom lord?

You've completely described Apocalypse.

NetherRealm Studios really do not like Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    NetherRealm Studios really do not like Wonder Woman
    ???

They like her just fine. The REAL Wonder Woman, anyway. Evil Totalitarian Diana? Of course they don't like her. But the real Diana? Totally.

They gave her one of the best examples of Amazon compassion in recent memory. That speech she gave to the Amazons of the Regime World was pure Marston.

Yeah, Deathstroke got the better of her in Story Mode, but Story Mode is rife with WTF moments like that. It wasn't just for Diana.

As to the OP? Yeah, I gotta agree with Nyssane. This would pretty much make Ares into Apocalypse. He should embody ALL forms of conflict. "Survival of the fittest" should just be one of his many aspects.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    ???

They like her just fine. The REAL Wonder Woman, anyway. Evil Totalitarian Diana? Of course they don't like her. But the real Diana? Totally.

They gave her one of the best examples of Amazon compassion in recent memory. That speech she gave to the Amazons of the Regime World was pure Marston.

Yeah, Deathstroke got the better of her in Story Mode, but Story Mode is rife with WTF moments like that. It wasn't just for Diana.

As to the OP? Yeah, I gotta agree with Nyssane. This would pretty much make Ares into Apocalypse. He should embody ALL forms of conflict. "Survival of the fittest" should just be one of his many aspects.
    Well he would see survival of the fittest would entail conflict, and that anything "nicer" would lead to less conflict. It's like a fire cleansing the forest (Rucka?), Ares sees conflict as the inevitable fire, and it not only burns the forest to build a stronger one, but fans Ares' own flames.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    You've completely described Apocalypse.
    Are they really so different? Hell, they're both blue and ancient.

BANNED

It could make him more interesting, but I would argue that it's outside of his role as the god of war to care about anything but the war itself.

Alternatively you could just lable him simply as the entity responsible for war, but not enslaving him to the notion, which would free him up to do other things as well.

Astonishing Member

I'd honestly like Ares to do something like the reverse. Say...him as the Patron God of a small nation. He chooses a super weak or otherwise incosequential nation to empower. he'd be more of a genre savvy Ares. He knows he can't just power up/use the big guy and win or once he does there's no fights left so he instead constantly empowers weaker nations/groups to create constant complicated battles.

That way you can have wars without the constant needless fear of nuclear war/armageddon etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    ???

Ah, but Wonder Woman is to my knowledge the only one expressly dissed in each of the games involving her. I played through MK vs DC and Injustice over the long holiday and noted the oddity of their disposition toward the character as revealed by the Endings and the INJUSTICE story mode treatment. She does indeed get a nice moment in Chapter 11. But the chapters leading up to that? Not so great. I did not see anyone else so openly mocked and dismissed. What did I miss?

I still think Ares should be like Dr. Claw or something: some unreachable mastermind who can't ever be caught or properly engaged. And even when she thinks she's about to crack down and fight Ares --turns out it's actually some OTHER god or divine being in the gears, messing things up. Like, the whole WW2 fight shouldn't be a war against Ares, but a rescue mission to retrieve Hephaestus from Nazi occultists.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Ah, but Wonder Woman is to my knowledge the only one expressly dissed in each of the games involving her. I played through MK vs DC and Injustice over the long holiday and noted the oddity of their disposition toward the character as revealed by the Endings and the INJUSTICE story mode treatment. She does indeed get a nice moment in Chapter 11. But the chapters leading up to that? Not so great. I did not see anyone else so openly mocked and dismissed. What did I miss?
    I barely remember MK vs DC, but I don't remember Diana being mocked there. Not unless it was like in-character mocking. Yeah, a bad guy is going to say bad things about a hero. It's kind of to be expected.

Throughout Injustice, Diana was shown to be strong and competent and never overly violent. The only times where I can remember her looking weak was when Sinestro took her down fairly easily, which can easily be explained away by the fact that Diana was fresh off a fight with Doomsday and may not have been at her full strength. Then there was Killer Frost freezing her. Stupid, yeah. But just read Justice League vs Suicide Squad. Apparently DC believes that extreme cold is the new "Ultimate Takedown Power" or something. And then, of course, there was Deathstroke. Yeah, it's Deathstroke: the villainous Batgod. EVERYONE gets made to look like crap against him, unfortunately. Until and unless this obsession with non-powered characters beating powered ones with "skill" and "prep time" dies down, we're just going to keep seeing stuff like that.

Meanwhile, Diana was instrumental in taking down Doomsday in the beginning of Story Mode. She even had time to critique Superman's lack of tactical acumen. She took down Bane, Ares, Raven, and her evil doppleganger. She rallied the Amazons to reject their Diana's leadership and brought them in to stop Aquaman's attack on Metropolis as well.

The only real disrespect to her was courtesy of Deathstroke. And Deathstroke disrespects EVERYONE.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

I prefer Ares behind a metaphorical desk running a war-mongering ring, with his agents of greed, conquest and deception sowing seeds of discord all over the World and beyond, not because he's powered by conflict but just because he gets his jollies off of watching people kill each other, it's like reality tv for him, human beings are nothing to him