Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Default What pairings or groupings of main characters have you never seen?

In thousands upon thousands of comics, there are tons of different conversations and adventures between duos, trios, and larger groups of classic DC heroes. But given that there are so many, the possible combinations outnumber the real examples.

So, which big-name characters do you have no recollection of having a meaningful conversation with each other?

Which characters have a frequent friend in common but never pair up directly or feature as a trio?

What kinds of atypical groupings would you like to see in a story?

Feel free to use process of elimination if you have an example for another poster.

GREEN LANTERN (Hal) and Wonder Woman: They've been teammates for decades (and five years in DCU time) but I don't recall them having any meaningful interactions and certainly not them teaming up in any way that wasn't just standing next to each other. Hal leaving the Nu52 JLA after getting into a pretty mean-spirited brawl with a blood-thirsty Wonder Woman should not be the only interaction between them considering their importance to the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    GREEN LANTERN (Hal) and Wonder Woman: They've been teammates for decades (and five years in DCU time) but I don't recall them having any meaningful interactions and certainly not them teaming up in any way that wasn't just standing next to each other. Hal leaving the Nu52 JLA after getting into a pretty mean-spirited brawl with a blood-thirsty Wonder Woman should not be the only interaction between them considering their importance to the DCU.
    I don't think we've really seen Hal have any meaningful interaction with the rest of the founders outside Barry and Batman.

Astonishing Member

Green Lantern (Hal) and Martian Manhunter: actually since no one is doing anything with the Martian Manhunter, I would love to see he and Hal go at it in an arc. Mr. Jonzz can use the exposure and it would be a true test for Hal's abilities, having them at cross purposes with conflicting agendas over something important to them both. At the end of it all they can come out of it with better understand and appreciations of each other's strengths and motivations. Since Hal and Jonzz are not longer co-founders there isn't that, Jonzz would never do that sort of thing that has to be worked through. Their only interaction that I can recall was a splash page of Hal and the rest of the League fighting him so there is that.

Retired

Adam Strange and the Phantom Stranger. I think there was once a one-off amalgamated version of the two called the Adam Stranger, but I don't recall ever seeing them pair up in their histories.

Astonishing Member

Lighning Lad and Dream Girl: Now I know of the Garth Imra pairing but I have seen her issues with Timber Wolf as well as in one alternate universe/reboot they tried her and Cosmic Boy. However I can't really recall them ever trying Garth with anyone but Saturn Girl. Dream Girl is the polar opposite of Saturn Girl, an outgoing mega flirt, her and Garth would never work in the long term but I always wanted to see them give it a try for a minute. I know it can't happen now unless Saturn Girl roams again but a flash back right after the Timber Wolf stuff after the Great Darkness Saga. I love the classic Legion but some of the pairings are so etched in stone that it limits story possibilities.

Mera and Lois Lane.

Heck, Mera with practically anybody outside the Aquaman supporting cast would be cool. I'd really like to see her branch out and start interacting with the wider DCU. I feel the same way with Batwoman.

Speaking of, I don't think we've seen Kate Kane interact with any of the Super-Family, so that would be interesting to see. She'd probably play off Lana/Superwoman the best.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Harley Quinn and Black Canary. Might seem a bit random but I haven't seen those two interact before. Just curious as to what it'd be like if they met is all.

Astonishing Member

Green Lantern (Hal) and Starfire: besides big crossovers with everyone I can't really recall them spending any time in each other's presence. The reasons for it are multiple, Kory is probably #1 on my list of DC women characters Hal hasn't hooked up with yet, lol. Also The Vegan system is the most well mapped and fleshed out sector of the DC universe, and yet it has never really had much GL interaction, even though the Omega Men made their first appearance in GL. Take that back, I guess Vega has had as much interaction with GL as any other franchise beside the Titans but it should happen more often. So having Vega's most well known earthbound representative and Hal crossing over only makes sense. That plus the Kyle Omega Men connection (though I am not sure if that is cannon thanks to low sales it might be 'nuLobo'd') gives another reason for a Corps/Vegan storyline not involving Larfreeze.

Extraordinary Member

I always felt Hal would have been more sympathetic towards Victor, given Hal's career in the Air Force (& GLC). It would have been normal for Hal to know several wounded warriors. I think it would have made more sense for Hal to get Vic out his shell as opposed to Barry & Billy.

It could have been an inverted take on the Ben Grimm (a younger Victor) & Johnny Storm (a slightly older Hal) relationship.

Plus, it would have been kinda meta on other levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think we've really seen Hal have any meaningful interaction with the rest of the founders outside Barry and Batman.
    Pre-Flashpoint's "JLA: Year One" was chock full of interactions between the non-Trinity founders. I think it was there that Hal and J'onn had a nice moment where J'onn was surprised Hal wasn't uneasy around him, and Hal explained that he works with aliens all the time in the corps so he didn't see J'onn as strange at all.

Hal and Superman had a bunch of interactions.(especially when they shared "Action Comics Weekly") I remember a pre-Crisis "JLA" where Hal and Supes were hanging out in the Fortress, talking about their respective power levels and what it's like to wield so much power... (something like that) and of course there was "Legend of the Green Flame" that was meant to be in continuity when it was written where they were real friends confiding in each other. One of my fav Supes team-ups was the "Action Comics" Millennium crossover where Hal and Supes traveled to some other dimension to find the Guardians of the Universe back when they went into seclusion. Pre-Crisis they were definitely friends, just not on the level as Barry and Ollie were to him.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-30-2017 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Pre-Flashpoint's "JLA: Year One" was chock full of interactions between the non-Trinity founders. I think it was there that Hal and J'onn had a nice moment where J'onn was surprised Hal wasn't uneasy around him, and Hal explained that he works with aliens all the time in the corps so he didn't see J'onn as strange at all.
    Man, I still need to read that book .

Astonishing Member

It was a great read, and kind of showed how much air the Trinity takes up, when they aren't around other character have a chance to shine. That was why I had high hopes initially for Earth 2 besides the Alan Scott change. Then eventually DC gave into the temptation and Earth 2 became/revolved around their version of the Trinity just as much as the regular universe did. Instead of a book where Mr Terrific, Green Lantern and Power Girl can be the focal point, it became just another book revolving around a Supes, Bats and WW analog.

Deadman and Death(Endless): Aside from the obvious, I think their personalities would actually be an interesting combo.

Bunker and any Green Lantern! due to their similar power sets.

Killer Moth, Killer Croc, Killer Shark,Killer Frost.

Raven and other magic characters, she seems to rarely interact with people like Zatanna and Enchantress.