Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I've been a part of discussion forums, message boards for about 10 years and I have never ever wanted to ignore someone before. I've always thought I would be interested in people's opinions no matter how different they are from mine. But your constant , and by that I mean CONSTANT, argments about how Marvel is the best thing that happened to the world is beyond annoying at this point. Is there a way to ignore another member of the community to avoid seeing their message?

By the way, Avengers Assemble up until the status quo had good sales. Better than the current Avengers book if we don't count the free copies.

And Assemble wasn't even the main book.

So my point stands.

I suppose the real reason is that all the main Avengers are tied up status quo shaking storylines across a dozen different editors... That proves difficult to get enough cohesion to get them all together...

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Y'know, I'd kind of like to see what Waid or Ewing could do on a book focused on the more traditional A-listers (AKA the MCU heroes not counting Spider-Man).

I could see them delivering a EMH-quality book with that cast and using them well (though I don't think Ewing would want to do it).
    What's ppl's verdict on Waid's Avengers' run so far?

Ewing should be writing Cosmic books only he excels in that.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    But the Hickman line up worked, everyone had something to do and the run itself was a phenomenal and epic run. I miss it so very much.

Looking at todays Avengers book: They are just a shadow of former glory, especially when you compare them to the Hickman run.
    That wasn't a hugely popular opinion at the time. I know because I remember being one day of the fans that routinely defended it whenever a new issue of Avengers or New Avengers came out. There was endless complaining about the huge cast with what they perceived as lack of characterisation and the shifting focuse usually on the new characters or Hickman's favourites. His over-the-top stories took quite a beating as well. To listen to some at the time it was the worst era of Avengers.

You'd think after that people would be anxious for a smaller roster. Heck I really liked Hickman's run but was happy for the new cycle to go for something different. Not everything needs to be a three year epic saga.

Uncanny Avengers is the best of them but not nearly where they were 2 years ago in terms of quality writing, story and even in the art department.
    I never much cared for Uncanny Avengers after the first two arcs and it seemed a lot of fans had daggers out for it at the start. Again, I vividly remember this as I was one of the ones initially defending it. I don't think I'm alone to say it's better in it's current form.

New Avengers is a joke with mainly stupid characters I could not care less about.
    Most of the characters and concepts are spun out of Hickman's run that you are so fond of.

And the main Avengers run is sort of OK but I don't like the art of Del Mundo
    He's certainly an interesting choice for a traditional super hero book but for me good art is good art and you could argue it suits the time bending story.
    Last edited by Orbus; 01-31-2017 at 01:46 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    I've been a part of discussion forums, message boards for about 10 years and I have never ever wanted to ignore someone before. I've always thought I would be interested in people's opinions no matter how different they are from mine. But your constant , and by that I mean CONSTANT, argments about how Marvel is the best thing that happened to the world is beyond annoying at this point. Is there a way to ignore another member of the community to avoid seeing their message?
    People are going to disagree with you especially when most of your threads are bringing up the same arguments over and over again.

Most of your threads have been about how Marvel sales are failing to which people are responding "you simply cannot say that because you have no idea". Bleedingcool doesn't know, Comichron doesn't know, we simply do not know. There's no point in even discussing it as an objective fact when you do not have the complete information.

One has to look at things clearly, Marvel DID set up an MCU line up book- Avengers Assemble and it didn't go for so long. It doesn't make any sense for them to fall back on an idea that might not have gained them much traction.

The last time the Avengers sold massive was with Bendis on New Avengers and Dark Avengers (those books were doing over 100k monthly back then), even Hickman's run didn't sell much more than the current volume (if at all).
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-31-2017 at 04:05 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    On the one hand, fans constantly cry that Marvel is always trying to cater to the movie audience.

Then they also cry that Marvel doesn't do enough to line up the comics with the movies.

As for how the current Avengers is doing compared to the Bendis and Hickman runs, let's take a moment to remember that both of those runs had fans bitching from start to finish about how much they sucked. And as usual, once something is over and a new thing has taken it's place, everyone is suddenly now a fan of the old thing.

As for it "still not doing well", unless you're a Marvel insider with full access to sales data, I'm afraid your take on The Avengers' fortunes amounts to speculation, not fact.

And why can't a new reader be impressed with Del Mundo's art? Does every new reader have to have shitty taste and not appreciate great art?

Don't worry about what Marvel is doing with The Avengers. They have better ideas on how to handle it than you do.
    Exactly.

The current Avengers book is a pretty good book.

One can complain about not liking a book but the sales talk is just complete nonsense. If Marvel that have the complete picture decide to continue in a certain direction, then it's obviously something that's successful for them. I don't at the moment agree with the direction with a lot of Marvel books but I won't sit down here and claim a book isn't selling because I DON'T like it. That's just wrong.
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-31-2017 at 04:08 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeathGods View Post
    What's ppl's verdict on Waid's Avengers' run so far?
    I thought All New All Different Avengers started off fine, but now it's getting a little, I dunno...boring? There's nothing wrong with the writing, but it feels kinda bland.

The actual reason is that Marvel is driven by creative teams, and as such the characters on any particular book will be based on who the creatives have a passion for. The idea being that if the creatives don't have passion then we can't expect the reader to care. Throwing a movie based team at writers or artists that don't really like the idea is a recipe for disaster. As would be focusing on nostalgia for the past or making a fan service book.

On the one hand, fans constantly cry that Marvel is always trying to cater to the movie audience.

Then they also cry that Marvel doesn't do enough to line up the comics with the movies.

As for how the current Avengers is doing compared to the Bendis and Hickman runs, let's take a moment to remember that both of those runs had fans bitching from start to finish about how much they sucked. And as usual, once something is over and a new thing has taken it's place, everyone is suddenly now a fan of the old thing.

As for it "still not doing well", unless you're a Marvel insider with full access to sales data, I'm afraid your take on The Avengers' fortunes amounts to speculation, not fact.

And why can't a new reader be impressed with Del Mundo's art? Does every new reader have to have shitty taste and not appreciate great art?

Don't worry about what Marvel is doing with The Avengers. They have better ideas on how to handle it than you do.
    Because in this instance, the movie line up fits in with the "Marvel Rebirth" crowd.

The Avengerx line up has always been fluid.

Plus, Tony's dead ish, Caps Hydra, Thor is Unworthy and no where to be seen, Banner is dead, Hawkeye killed him and is meandering about, t'challa is already on 2 other teams now, Lang isn't really avengers type, Falcon is cap and not Falcon, they don't really want to promote Witch and QS too much it seems, War Machine is dead, bucky is a fugitive I think

So... even if Marvel wanted to, it would have to majorily shift the whole line to make it work.

But, in a funny way... Sam, Hope, Peter, Vision are MCU avengers so.... haha

Can't really have it one way and not others. I doubt you want Wasp shipped to the microverse and Hope to be the only Wasp around do ya?

movie synergy seems to have cooled a bit other than they tend to push characters that show up in the MCU. But it doesn't seem to change too much creatively. THey seemingly gave up on that level of synergy.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    I don't like the art of Del Mundo.
    Crazysauce.

BRING BACK WEIRDWORLD.

-Pav, who loves del Mundo's art...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Extraordinary Member

For all the fan whining about Bendis and Hickman their "All Star-Super Friends" when those books were out, their versions of the Avengers sold better than the flagship book is selling now.

Heck, Hickman's New Avengers was outselling the flagship book. Which is why they are relaunching it so soon.

People don't care why Spider Man, Cap, Black Widow, Thor, Hulk and Wolverine came to be on the same team, they just want to see it.

But a side effect of Marvel Now is that aside from the Peter Parker Spider Man of the classic versions of any of the major characters is
    at their status quo.

So some people are holding out waiting for the major/classic Avengers to show up in their own book again.

Fantastic Member

I think a problem for the avengers is that recently a lot of the event comics have a separate series instead of being told as an arc in the avengers books. The series are tie ins which disagrees with some fans for a multitude of reasons.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTie-chan View Post
    I have a feeling that once the Infinity War movie comes out the Avengers line-up will change to reflect movie synergy.
    Wouldn't surprise me.

Whilst I haven't been reading the book, and therefore won't comment on the quality or lack of quality in the story itself, I have seen the art-work and I'm not impressed with it either, it's called different tastes in art, it doesn't make my taste in art ''shitty'' anymore than the fact that you seem to like it mean that you have ''shitty'' taste in art either.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

First of all, I just can't believe that at least 2 people have criticized Del Mundo's art. That guy is one of the best guys at Marvel!

Onto the actual question, what would synchronising with the MCU achieve? The movies don't exactly bring in lots of new readers?