Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    You rate LBN above TOWN? Hm, need to see it. Huge TOWN fan, though.

I have this feeling that Batfleck wanted to direct an awesome movie with Batman in it but WB probably would forcefeed things like "You have to introduce character x at the end"
    I wouldn't say above it, it's very different. I enjoyed it immensely though, maybe a little bit more.

BANNED

I think Ben's got too much on his plate with a possible divorce looming large and just doesn't have to handle director's duties.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The critical reception to "Live by Night" and the stress of production probably had a big hand in this decision, so I can understand where Affleck's coming from here though it once again seems like the DCEU is having a lot of production difficulties behind the scenes.
    Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I think Ben's got too much on his plate with a possible divorce looming large and just doesn't have to handle director's duties.
    I figured these were the main reasons, though possibly Live by Night just making Ben think "F this, I need a creative break". Which is too bad, b/c I haven't seen Live by Night yet, but I've loved all his movies so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I wouldn't say above it, it's very different. I enjoyed it immensely though, maybe a little bit more.
    Yeah, I'm really curious about the movie even more now after all the bad reviews. I can see Ben maybe teetering on "mediocre" w/ a work piece, but not bad. Perhaps there really is a Hollywood conspiracy to make all things DCEU look bad lol.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I loved The Town, it was not another boring heist movie. Great cast and characters, some unique and original moments.

As a fan of Boardwalk Empire I probably enjoy Live by Night but still have to see it. LBN being based on a Dennis Lehane novel (like Shutter Island or Mystic River) is another plus.

Argo had its moments imo but as a whole it didn't click with me.

Gone Baby Gone, a little grim at times but overall a more than average crime drama. Really good!

Disappointed to see Affleck not directing with all that credit to his name but whatever makes him happy, he's earned my trust as fan of crime and drama.

It was never right for him anyway, this is good. Cary Joji fukunagi who made Beast of No Nation and the best season of True Detective ((Season 2)
    Potion or drug bringing welcome forgetfulness; genus of tropical carnivorous plant

Wild dream replacement:

1. George Miller
    2. David Fincher

Kinda reasonable hope:

Alfonso Cuaron

Reasonable wish list:

1. Matt Reeves (Dawn of the Planet of the Apes)
    2. Gore Verbinski (original Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy)
    3. Pete Travis (Dredd)

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    That's a slight understatement.

Jesus Christ the DCEU has to be the biggest most poorly conceived mess that ever existed. These WB folks have no bloody idea what they're doing, they never had any idea how to make a shared cinematic universe and it gets worse and worse by the week! How many times have they fallen back on promises now? 10? 20? Jesus.
    They just had two pretty big hits in a row even if they weren't received well by critics, so it seems like they are doing fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I loved The Town, it was not another boring heist movie. Great cast and characters, some unique and original moments.

As a fan of Boardwalk Empire I probably enjoy Live by Night but still have to see it. LBN being based on a Dennis Lehane novel (like Shutter Island or Mystic River) is another plus.

Argo had its moments imo but as a whole it didn't click with me.

Gone Baby Gone, a little grim at times but overall a more than average crime drama. Really good!

Disappointed to see Affleck not directing with all that credit to his name but whatever makes him happy, he's earned my trust as fan of crime and drama.
    Man, I loved Boardwalk Empire but some seasons were so damn boring. I stayed for the "history" lesson of my city.
    Superhero shows are trash

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Cary Joji fukunagi who made...the best season of True Detective ((Season 2)
    I know this is tangential to the thread, but I was wondering if you could elaborate on that?

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    It was never right for him anyway, this is good. Cary Joji fukunagi who made Beast of No Nation and the best season of True Detective ((Season 2)
    He did season 1. Season 2 had different directors.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Wild dream replacement:

1. George Miller
    2. David Fincher

Kinda reasonable hope:

Alfonso Cuaron

Reasonable wish list:

1. Matt Reeves (Dawn of the Planet of the Apes)
    2. Gore Verbinski (original Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy)
    3. Pete Travis (Dredd)
    Great candidates (tho I never saw the Pirates movies. ...but i want to!).

I bolded Cuaron, b/c can you imagine his 3-5 min 1-cut action sequences??
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

DCEU continues to circle around the drain.

BANNED

Affleck is an excellent director, and I really like his acting as Batman. I think the DC Movieverse needs more to support it than Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. DC concentrates every resource into its "Trinity" and there's nothing else left in the stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencermalley935 View Post
    DCEU continues to circle around the drain.
    As long as the Gotham City Sirens movie gets made. That's the only one I really care about. The added bonus would be if it is actually good. Or at least better than Suicide Squad.