Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Default Ben Affleck's no longer directing The Batman

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/be...ct-1201971566/

“There are certain characters who hold a special place in the hearts of millions. Performing this role demands focus, passion and the very best performance I can give. It has become clear that I cannot do both jobs to the level they require. Together with the studio, I have decided to find a partner in a director who will collaborate with me on this massive film. I am still in this, and we are making it, but we are currently looking for a director. I remain extremely committed to this project, and look forward to bringing this to life for fans around the world.”

He's staying on as a producer and obviously the lead, and looking for a new director; according to the article, Matt Reeves (War of the Planet of the Apes) is on the short list to replace him.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

It doesn't say whether he's still writing the script or not. It said he's still a producer but didn't mention writing at all.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    It doesn't say whether he's still writing the script or not. It said he's still a producer but didn't mention writing at all.
    No, which struck me as odd. Given Geoff Johns was apparently co-writing though, I'd be willing to ditch whatever was done so far if it meant Johns wasn't going to be involved at all with the script.
    Buh-bye

And yet I'm still hyped for this movie. I guess the pressure finally got to Affleck. I'm okay with this. WB/DC is taking this project very seriously so that's a positive as far as I'm concerned.

I might be wrong, but along with some other behind the scenes shakeups I can't help but think:

"Abandon ship! All hands, prepare to abandon ship!"

Incredible Member

It says towards the end of the article that Affleck did cowrite the script with Johns. Apparently whoever is picked to direct, will be k with the script so that the film wont be delayed any longer.

BANNED

I knew he couldn't handle the pressure, but again maybe it was the fanbase that drove him off.

BANNED

Just reboot already.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I knew he couldn't handle the pressure, but again maybe it was the fanbase that drove him off.
    I believe it was the fan base that drove him off. You guys are craycray.

The critical reception to "Live by Night" and the stress of production probably had a big hand in this decision, so I can understand where Affleck's coming from here though it once again seems like the DCEU is having a lot of production difficulties behind the scenes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The critical reception to "Live by Night" and the stress of production probably had a big hand in this decision, so I can understand where Affleck's coming from here though it once again seems like the DCEU is having a lot of production difficulties behind the scenes.
    That's a slight understatement.

Jesus Christ the DCEU has to be the biggest most poorly conceived mess that ever existed. These WB folks have no bloody idea what they're doing, they never had any idea how to make a shared cinematic universe and it gets worse and worse by the week! How many times have they fallen back on promises now? 10? 20? Jesus.

Incredible Member

Serious question: should Kevin Smith be the director?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    From everything I read, it was the reality of having to direct while simultaneously wearing the batsuit that drove him away.

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    Serious question: should Kevin Smith be the director?
    If you've seen any of his movies, you know this isn't a serious question.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    I believe it was the fan base that drove him off. You guys are craycray.
    Yeah the customers for whom these products are made are cray cray . More like WB and Zack Snyder