Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Default Is anyone reading the current hulk book?

It seems no one is talking about the current Hulk starring Jennifer Walters.

The first issue was kind of alright but the lack of "Hulking out" turned me off a bit.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I've been reading it. It's definitely a slow burn but I think Tamaki is doing a good job in the inner narration of Jen's emotions personally, and that woman who's been coming up to her and not leaving her alone is highly suspicious to me as I don't believe she's as well-meaning as she claims to be. Art could be better but it's ok, nothing particularly bad or good about it personally. I've heard she's not meant to ''Hulk out'' until issue 5 but wait and see regarding that I guess.

I'd give it a ''so far, so good. For now'' since it's only been two issues.

Amazing Member

Calling it the new Hulk book is a stretch since the Hulk has yet to appear after 2 issues. I feel like Ian Malcolm on the Jurassic Park ride waiting for the dinosaurs to appear.

I do read it thou, not sure how much longer....I think I have up to 4 on preorder with DCBS

I like it so far.

I like that it is taking some time to explore mental health issues. Lots and lots and lots and lots of horrible things happen to our favorite heroes... but we don't often see much exploration of the impact on them like this.

Incredible Member

I might give it a try when it is out in trade. It seems to be more what I would be looking for in a Hulk book than the Cho Hulk.

This book upsets me.
    Pulling:
    Batman, Detective Comics, The Sentry, Mister Miracle, Venom

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thefiresky View Post
    This book upsets me.
    May I ask why?

I like is every character driven and humanizing. Definitely not your typical superhero romp

I thought the first issue was really interesting, I like the idea of taking the woman who's most known for being hulked out all the time, and seeing what happens when she decides to repress it. Also I think it's dealing with themes of PTSD really well, so I'm interested to see where the book goes.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I'm enjoying it so far, I really dig the creative team and what they're doing with Jen. It's interesting to see the consequences of living the life that Jen does, it's not an angle we see too often.

Mighty Member

Its a little too slow for me. I'm trade waiting it.

I was bored by it, and the lack of any vibrant colors made the art look rather flat and lifeless. (Nico's work in previous titles looks a lot better than it did here, imo.)

I plan on just binge-reading on Marvel Unlimited. Got the Young variant of the first issue and while it's okay, there's a lot of other titles I'd rather spend $4 a month on.

To be fair the book has bee discussed a lot in the 'The Sensational She-Hulk Appreciation' thread., though it would be nice to see wider talk about the book.

She-Hulk is my favorite comic book character, and while this is a big departure from her usual books I am really enjoying it so far. I like how its a slower, more character driven take on a Hulk story. Tamaki has captured Jens voice and struggle well, and I really like Nico's art. I have been impressed by how well it has been dealing with the mental health side of the story too. I do hope she 'Hulks out' soon, as I am fan of the new, scared Hulk form. I know some fear that this may be the new status quo for Jen and that the old, happy She-Hulk is gone but I very much doubt that. The Shulk we all know and love will be back, but until them I am enjoy this darker journey.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    Its a little too slow for me. I'm trade waiting it.
    I'm also trade waiting it, reading this thread makes it sound like the right call.
    "slow burn"
    "little slow"
    "taking some time to..."

Hopefully in a one sit down read it'll flow better.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime