Amazing Member

Default Gold and Silver Age Sci-Fi

I got some really great help with my Flash Gordon post so I thought I would try this also.
    Anyone know of some good collected stuff?
    Thanks.

I've heard really good things about Fantagraphics' collection of Basil Wolverton's Spacehawk, though I've not read it myself yet.

Quote Originally Posted by hoth rebel View Post
    I got some really great help with my Flash Gordon post so I thought I would try this also.
    Thanks.
    IDW is putting out a collection in April of Gil Kane's Star Hawks scifi comic strip.

I haven't read the material, but it gets decent reviews.

Amazing Member

ok. I will keep those in mind. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    I've heard really good things about Fantagraphics' collection of Basil Wolverton's Spacehawk, though I've not read it myself yet.
    I read the free Halloween Comicfest issues of Spacehawk that Fantagraphics put out a few years back, and it was a lot of fun. IT's a good sampler/entry point to see if you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    IDW is putting out a collection in April of Gil Kane's Star Hawks scifi comic strip.

I haven't read the material, but it gets decent reviews.
    I have one of the old Blackthorne volumes (book 3) from the 80s collecting these strips and I like it quite a bit. I may have to look into the IDW stuff, but the Blackthorne volumes are usually pretty cheap if you can find them.

If you are willing to pay premium prices for the collections, I would suggest some of the collected EC volumes, Weird Science, Weird Fantasy, etc. are probably the pinnacle of pre-code sci-fi. Gemstone did a reprint series of these in the 1990s if you want to track down individual issues, and they are still fairly inexpensive and a good way to ample the material inexpensively before investing in one of the pricier volumes.

Roy Thomas has been responsible for some collections of Planet Comics that are also highly regarded, but again you are looking at premium hardcover prices for the most part on these. There are 14 volumes at a msrp of $49.99 each.

Aside from the major brands like Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers, not a lot of this material has been collected in affordable readily available formats outside of the DC Showcase volumes for things like Adam Strange and Atomic Knights, but you've said in another thread you don't like b&w reprints, so you won't lke the Showcase collections.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Are there any horror titles and any suggestions other than EC, I have the Showcase titles and the Marvel Essentials. Any help would be great thanks.
    Hail Hydra!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I read the free Halloween Comicfest issues of Spacehawk that Fantagraphics put out a few years back, and it was a lot of fun. IT's a good sampler/entry point to see if you like it.

I have one of the old Blackthorne volumes (book 3) from the 80s collecting these strips and I like it quite a bit. I may have to look into the IDW stuff, but the Blackthorne volumes are usually pretty cheap if you can find them.

If you are willing to pay premium prices for the collections, I would suggest some of the collected EC volumes, Weird Science, Weird Fantasy, etc. are probably the pinnacle of pre-code sci-fi. Gemstone did a reprint series of these in the 1990s if you want to track down individual issues, and they are still fairly inexpensive and a good way to ample the material inexpensively before investing in one of the pricier volumes.

Roy Thomas has been responsible for some collections of Planet Comics that are also highly regarded, but again you are looking at premium hardcover prices for the most part on these. There are 14 volumes at a msrp of $49.99 each.

Aside from the major brands like Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers, not a lot of this material has been collected in affordable readily available formats outside of the DC Showcase volumes for things like Adam Strange and Atomic Knights, but you've said in another thread you don't like b&w reprints, so you won't lke the Showcase collections.

-M

Thanks man. I will surely have more questions for you fine folks but,I have already been given some great advise. After the Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers books I'm not sure where I will go. As long as I can get things in color I am pretty much game for anything. Thanks everone!

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    Are there any horror titles and any suggestions other than EC, I have the Showcase titles and the Marvel Essentials. Any help would be great thanks.
    Along the lines of the Planet Comics collections Roy Thomas is doing with PS Artbooks, they are collecting some of the Harvey Horror books as well...

more to follow...

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

IDW is doing a collection of the Complete Voodoo comics in 2 volumes...

and the Haunted Horror collections...

You also have the Eerie and Creepy Archives from Dark Horse...

and many others. There's a lot more options for horror than sci-fi out there. But look at the following publishers and their collections available...

Dark Horse, IDW, Hermes, Titan Books, Fantagrpahics

all of them have some kind of collections of horror or sci fi comics and strips from the Golden through Silver Age period.

For Marvel and DC, there are Showcase and Essential volumes of horror stuff out there too.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    If you're willing to Amazon around a bit, you can nab new copies of the Dark Horse reprints and volumes of the EC line for about 25 bucks, half off of the MSRB. They're worth it too.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by hoth rebel View Post
    Thanks.
    As people are going back to before the Silver Age, I'd say this is worth a try.