Page 214 of 1597 FirstFirst ... 1141642042102112122132142152162172182242643147141214 ... LastLast
Results 3,196 to 3,210 of 23955

Thread: CBR Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Cronin View Post
    My roommate in college used to joke about a professor of his (he and I were both English Majors) who would only teach "Award-Winning Graphic Novels," never comics in her class. That teacher always kind of irked me - because she was by far the edgiest professor in the department in terms of her curriculum and yet she was conservative when it came to comics. So dumb. My school was so progressive in general but its treatment of comics was so conservative. When it came time to do my honors thesis, I had to get a teacher who didn't know anything about comics but was a cool enough guy to be my thesis sponsor anyways, since no one else would get behind a comics-based thesis (even one like mine that was half-comics and half-"real" literature). I'm sure it is a lot different nowadays, but I dunno.
    I wonder how much of it was her own discomfort and how much of it was academic self-protection. If the rest of her professor crew thought comics were retarded, it could seriously hurt her prospects in the department. I mean, if she's already the "edgy" one. Nobody in academia likes those people. Unless they're superstars.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thespianphryne View Post
    I wonder how much of it was her own discomfort and how much of it was academic self-protection. If the rest of her professor crew thought comics were retarded, it could seriously hurt her prospects in the department. I mean, if she's already the "edgy" one. Nobody in academia likes those people. Unless they're superstars.
    I was going to ask something similar. Maybe she just presented it that way because it might not have been taken seriously as subject material otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by jessecuster3 View Post
    My wife reads every trade of Walking Dead, but will not read anything else.

I am waiting for some nice collection of Locke and Key now that its finished and hopefully she will read that. Her mother will probably read it and this Wraith series that's out now, as they both have read Hill's novels and are huge King fans.
    What about Y: The Last Man; do you think she'd like that?

It was Y, in conjunction with Birds of Prey that got me back into comics after I stopped reading them in high school.

Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Cronin View Post
    I think it really is true that for most people, at least, it is just a matter of finding the comic that appeals to them. There should be a comic out there for almost anyone!
    My girlfriend adores characters like Flash, Thor, etc. But if I try to send a comic her way, she won't get into it. It's always "I like the movie version" or "I only like the cartoon version." And while I did manage to get her to read Superior Spider-Man, I think her main complaint was the art wasn't "cute."

Neither chicken nor egg. Dizzy D's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jodoc View Post
    I haven't been reading Guardians, but w/Carol joining I picked up the most recent issue and FCBD. Fun stuff; I may have to pick up the trade. Does it matter if I never liked Angela?
    Not really, Angela is only a very small part of the title. Personally, I liked the DnA incarnatio better, but I still quite like the current guardians.

So Erin (my fiancée)'s company is being bought out. Her job is safe for the short term, but long-term, who knows. And I'm stuck at work for another hour before I can go home and help her deal with the stress.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thecrimson View Post
    My girlfriend adores characters like Flash, Thor, etc. But if I try to send a comic her way, she won't get into it. It's always "I like the movie version" or "I only like the cartoon version." And while I did manage to get her to read Superior Spider-Man, I think her main complaint was the art wasn't "cute."
    My GF will only read something if the art is by Alex Ross or Jack Kirby... or similar.
    She's not into comics at all, but I think my love of Kirby and Ross rubbed off on her.

I'll show her a new comic and ask her if she wants to read it.
    If it's not like the two... forget about it.
    It's kinda awesome and funny at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Oh, I'm familiar enough with Munch to know he posts rapidfire a lot (geez, it's like post count was blood to him for years). But like I said, he as much as admitted it right before getting banned. Feel free to look it up, I think it's still there.
    Did they ask him to stop doing so?

Also, Munchy, if you see this, know we'll always take you over on SO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightsabretooth View Post
    I'm pretty sure he knows exactly what he's doing. The crazy part is that you can watch one episode of that "Finding Bigfoot" show and you've seen them all.

*crickets in the darkness*
    Moneymaker: Did you hear that
    Other person: yeah, that sounded like a Squatch! Let's go over there!

Repeat 10 times
    Closing scene, "well, we didn't find it again this time, but tune in next time, we totally are going to sit in the dark again all night long and listen to nature make noises that we're certain are Sasquatches!" Oh, and we yell and make noises that we pretend Sasquatches make because we are experts on this animal that has never ever been studied in any real way, ever!"
    What about the game show hosted by Superman that offered several groups of people like a million dollars for irrefutable proof of bigfoot. Long story short, noone won. Honestly, they could have offered a house made of gold and diamonds with beds filled with pheonix hair and covers made of unicorn hair and the secret to immortality.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Astonishing Member

Whats up,everybody?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    What about the game show hosted by Superman that offered several groups of people like a million dollars for irrefutable proof of bigfoot. Long story short, noone won. Honestly, they could have offered a house made of gold and diamonds with beds filled with pheonix hair and covers made of unicorn hair and the secret to immortality.
    Oh, that show is equally ridiculous. But yet somehow they keep appearing on tv.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Whats up,everybody?
    Nothing much. How bout you?

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    So Erin (my fiancée)'s company is being bought out. Her job is safe for the short term, but long-term, who knows. And I'm stuck at work for another hour before I can go home and help her deal with the stress.
    That sucks. How long has she worked there?

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    That sucks. How long has she worked there?
    Close to three years. She really loves it, too.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    How's the job market where you're at? Also, what her career field? I know of some job openings but mostly outside of the US.