Page 361 of 1597 FirstFirst ... 2613113513573583593603613623633643653714114618611361 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,415 of 23955

Thread: CBR Chat

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    I don't remember Wolvie going back into the past to recruit team members for this, so I'm going to guess "No, it's not like that." Maybe there's the apocalyptic vision of the future, but nothing else seems the same.
    Kitty Pryde uses a previously unknown superpower to send Logan back in time in the movie, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
    I always thought Scots and English were British because they're both on the Isle of Great Britain. I always thought it was the Irish that may or may not accept the name, since that's more political rather than geographical.

But what do I know? I am a stupid American.
    I personally find it super-interesting that documented history cannot be understood apart from such stuff as ethnical or political both as religious connotations, eventhough interest or merit could be seen regardless of one's own ethnicity or ideologies whatsoever.
    Both as that religion or ethnicity or politics couldn't be understood apart from actual history as how it will have gotten documented.

Even regardless of anyone's own personal beliefs.

Like how come any certain parts of the world would or wouldn't be featured or appear present amid historical documentation of certain origin.
    How interpretation or translation into "foreign" texts would have become a thing or not, like how for instance during Biblical times Greek would have been considered foreign more rather than Hebrew or Etrusk or Sumerian or Egyptian texts.
    Whereas Latin would basically have been meaning "of Italian origin", but (likely because of the Romans appearing a military world-dominating force at one point or another) many certain world regions, from Europe to Russia or Scandinavia, adopted specifically Christianity to being the leading religion for some reason.

How come 'sha' or 'Constantinopel' would apparently pertain to 'Persia' more rather than just any being Middle-Eastern.
    How come Celtic lore both as Viking or Nordic myth would be called "lore" and "myth" more rather than just any other example of historic documentation.

Or how such regions as 'Lotharingen' (as part of the Empire of Charlemagne), Frisia or the Saami would be existing as how they'd be. Or how the warmongering of Djengis Khan or Alexander the Great or specifically the Ottoman Empire or Moorish would be as rooted into history as much as it would be.

Any such documentation or sources wouldn't necessarily be but factual or non-factual, but they would be to sound as how they would for but the most realistical or telling reasons, I'd be to think.
    Like how come I'd say that history or documentation or any 'understanding the world' would prove interesting or meritable even regardless of any personal ideologies or ethnical perspectives to take.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 05-23-2014 at 12:32 PM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Neither chicken nor egg. Dizzy D's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pól Rua View Post
    Britain is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Island.
    England is JUST England.
    A Scot, for instance, will cop to being British, but don't call him English.
    Mmm.. I always thought:
    England = just england (Southern part of Britain)

England+Scotland+Wales = Great Britain

England+Scotland+Wales+Northern Ireland= United Kingdom.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
    I always thought Scots and English were British because they're both on the Isle of Great Britain. I always thought it was the Irish that may or may not accept the name, since that's more political rather than geographical.

But what do I know? I am a stupid American.
    You're right, Winslow. Mormel was a bit off. The "United" part of the name United Kingdom started in 1707 when the Acts of Union united the kingdoms of England and Scotland (Wales was already part of the kingdom of England). Similar Acts of Union in 1800 added Ireland to the UK. Prior to these Acts, they had been officially separate kingdoms that all had the same king.

Everyone in the UK can be referred to as British, but "English" only refers to the people of England.

I'm American too, but my grandmother grew up in Wales. English was her second language.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy D View Post
    Mmm.. I always thought:

Sounds sensible.
    Except that for me Ireland would be part of both Britain as well as the UK, if only because snookerplayers like Ken Doherty or Dennis Taylor could take part at the UK Snooker Championships with no apparent bother.

And as an aside: I hope you have great fun with the swashbuckling international prestigeous fencing thing (with swords, not hustling despite the masks). Drink enough beer!
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    Sounds sensible.
    That's why it's probably wrong. Everyone knows governments NEVER do anything sensible.

Especially British.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy D View Post
    Mmm.. I always thought:

Maybe your intent was not to include all in the United Kingdom, but Australia is also part of it?

BANNED

My review of X-Men: Days of Future Past

Bryan Singer, the original director of X-Men & X2, and producer of Matthew Vaughn’s excellent X-men: First Class is back in the director’s seat. The film was written by Matthew Vaughn, Jane Goldman & Simon Kinberg, based off Chris Claremont and John Byrne’s Days of Future Past comic book storyline.

It’s a dystopian future where Mutants are placed in internment camps, or slaughtered like animals by the mutant hunting robot Sentinels. There isn’t any hope for the co-existance of Mutants & Humans in this world; it is a fight for survival or extinction. Here the X-Men & Brotherhood of Mutants have joined forces, but even with Charles Xavier (Patrick Stewart) & Magneto (Ian McKellen) together, these seasoned warriors can’t save the Mutants from the inevitable defeat. Luckily, Kitty Pryde (Ellen Page) is able to project a person’s consciousness back in time, and so it’s Wolverine’s (Hugh Jackman) mission to ensure this future never happens, by sending him back to 1973, to prevent the event that triggers anti-mutant hysteria; Mystique’s (Jennifer Lawrence) murder of the Sentinel program’s creator: Bolivar Trask (Peter Dinklage).

The heart of the story is Charles Xavier & his path to regain his self-confidence. A decade has passed since the events of X-men: First Class, and it hasn’t been a pleasant time for Professor X. Erik “Magneto” Lehnsherr (Michael Fassbender) left him crippled, his childhood friend Raven “Mystique” abandoned him, and only Hank McCoy (Nicholas Hoult) has stuck by him. It’s Wolverine’s time to return to favor & assist Charles Xavier through his struggles, to ensure Charles rescues Magneto from the Pentagon prison & stops Mystique. James McAvoy’s performance is excellent, his portrayal of a man whose lost everything is incredible, and he pulls you in on this wild ride—this one chance to change his future and prevent catastrophe for all mutant kind. Jennifer Lawrence’s Mystique is equally entertaining. The character had always been dangerous under Singer’s direction, and she returns to top-notch form here, displaying incredible capabilities throughout the film. In this story she has adopted the path of vengeance Magneto was on in First Class, and Lawrence does a fine job of bringing Mystique’s rage and anguish to life on screen. Not to be left out, Michael Fassbender’s Magneto is more dangerous than ever. This is Magneto in his prime, he’s angry, vengeful, and so convinced of his beliefs that it’s difficult to sympathize with him—still; no villain is greater than a truly just man. His eye for an eye approach is shown to be quite understandable, and allows the audience to be just as caring about his view as we are about Xavier’s. It’s also nice to see that, while Wolverine is important to the film, this is not another “Wolverine and the X-men” movie. This is Charles Xavier’s fight, Wolverine’s just there to inspire him to make his stand.

Bryan Singer weaves an amazing spectacle, the special effects in this film are astounding, and we get to see some of the most top-notch mutant power displays ever shown in the X-men series, and we finally get to see the X-men doing what they were always meant to do, working as a team. Blink’s (Fan Bingbing) teleportation portals create stunning combat possibilities when combined with the unbridled power of Colossus (Daniel Cudmore) and the pin point marksmanship of Bishop, while Iceman (Shawn Ashmore), Sunspot (Adan Canto) & Storm (Halle Berry) create elemental fury on beautiful new levels. Magneto’s use of magnetism is merciless. However no one gets a better scene demonstrating their powers than Quicksilver (Evan Peters), accompanied by the smooth Jim Croce song “Time in a bottle.” This film makes excellent use of its fiction to create eye-popping visuals displays, stellar combat scenes, and explosive moments, without actually relying on literal explosions.

Singer has given his best X-Men movie to date! There’s amazing visuals an excellent story, and performances so great that I am truly invested in the story, and left highly anxious to see what he has in store for us in X-Men: Apocalypse

I've been checking out the live HD feed from the International Space Station a couple times a day. Yesterday, I put on the soundtrack to 2001: A Space Odyssey and just vegged out watching the Earth turn for a while.
    May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.

Quote Originally Posted by snarkbunny View Post
    Very simple and classy, Jodoc. I like it. Would you include the words or just the picture?
    I'd keep the words. A raven alone is cool, but tying in the Poe quote gives it more meaning. My tattoos all mean something to me; I have yet to go for one that just looks good.
    May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    I'm with 'Dox and Spikey with this. . I'll wait for TV.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see it at the cinema, I just don't think it's going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    Maybe your intent was not to include all in the United Kingdom, but Australia is also part of it?
    No, we're part of the British Commonwealth, which is a different thing again.

Lesson of the Day: Never ask Neal Adams for directions. Instead of showing you the way to Roy Thomas' table, you'll end up at a booth selling chocolate flavored E-cigarettes and comic pinups.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

My state's result is surprisingly tame, for once.