Page 599 of 1597 FirstFirst ... 994995495895955965975985996006016026036096496991099 ... LastLast
Results 8,971 to 8,985 of 23955

Thread: CBR Chat

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

I lived IN Detroit for six months and spent a lot of time working in the area in the '80s, so I hear you. Dirty, ugly, depressing city. Working over near River Rouge was especially nasally frightening. Always this gray haze over the city from a distance.

EDIT: Oh, and your supervisor WILL know the Dogpatch. It's really the only thing IN Munising.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    I never cared for Bendis to begin with. I tried his Mighty Avengers, and it did nothing for me. Is there anything he's written that you would consider good-to-excellent? Just trying to expand my views a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Besides what's already been mentioned, Powers (his creator-owned series with Michael Avon Oeming) is BRILLIANT.
    I think his indy comic Torso also helped put him on the map. I dug it; but should give a heads-up that it is not superhero at ALL.

(Amazon review)
    This chilling, noir-inflected true American crime tale concerning Cleveland's so-called "Torso Murders" (because that's usually what was found) is presented here in gritty art crafted with black and white graphics, infused with actual crime scene photos in a simple layout and is almost on par with From Hell as far as "true crime" graphic novel story-telling goes.

For those who are unaware of what happened with Eliot Ness's career after Al Capone, Torso tells the story of the incredibly shocking and horrifying events in the 30s unfolded at the creepy and desolate Kingsbury Run, which was the grisly playground of the "Mad Butcher" from 1934 until 1938 and accounts the gripping hunt for the Ohio serial killer who was officially never named.

The Cleveland Torso Murders, most of which the victims were brutally killed by decapitation while alive, were some of the most sensational crimes and were never solved.

This is the story of how newly-appointed director of public safety, Eliot Ness realises that hunting this killer was not like battling organised crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    I lived IN Detroit for six months and spent a lot of time working in the area in the '80s, so I hear you. Dirty, ugly, depressing city. Working over near River Rouge was especially nasally frightening. Always this gray haze over the city from a distance.

EDIT: Oh, and your supervisor WILL know the Dogpatch. It's really the only thing IN Munising.
    It never got any better after the 80's, I worked at the tunnel before moving up here.

I will ask him about it next time I see him, I get down to your area often, my wife grew up near Lansing, so we go down to visit her family every few months
    "Half this game is ninety percent mental." - Yogi Berra

It's a nice area down here. Kalamazoo's a reasonably mid-sized city with lots of amenities, but if you drive twenty miles in any direction you're out in the woods (should you choose). And if you want a BIG city we're equidistant between Detroit and Chicago. Good location here.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

So I am curious, Paradox and Motown Rage, what is the Dogpatch?

A Lil Abner themed restaurant in a town way off in the boonies of Upper Peninsula Michigan.

The Dogpatch
    'Dox out.

That looks like a nice place to eat at. Looking at the food is making me hungry.

I should go out and cook dinner now then

I've never heard of it Rei, but I will be looking into it next time I head that way.

Time for the steak and egg plant?
    "Half this game is ninety percent mental." - Yogi Berra

Aw, TMZ reporting that James Garner has died. RIP Big Jim, I loved you in everything you did, even the shows and movies I didn't care for as a whole.
    'Dox out.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

The last thing I saw/heard him in Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam as the wizard Shazam.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Support Your Local Sheriff and Support Your Local Gunfighter are on my favorites of all time list (that supposing that I actually made such a list).
    'Dox out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    I think his indy comic Torso also helped put him on the map. I dug it; but should give a heads-up that it is not superhero at ALL.

(Amazon review)
    This chilling, noir-inflected true American crime tale concerning Cleveland's so-called "Torso Murders" (because that's usually what was found) is presented here in gritty art crafted with black and white graphics, infused with actual crime scene photos in a simple layout and is almost on par with From Hell as far as "true crime" graphic novel story-telling goes.

For those who are unaware of what happened with Eliot Ness's career after Al Capone, Torso tells the story of the incredibly shocking and horrifying events in the 30s unfolded at the creepy and desolate Kingsbury Run, which was the grisly playground of the "Mad Butcher" from 1934 until 1938 and accounts the gripping hunt for the Ohio serial killer who was officially never named.

The Cleveland Torso Murders, most of which the victims were brutally killed by decapitation while alive, were some of the most sensational crimes and were never solved.

This is the story of how newly-appointed director of public safety, Eliot Ness realises that hunting this killer was not like battling organised crime.
    That's all right, I'm not exclusively a superhero reader. I expect that his qualities as a writer will shine through clearer in a comic that's divorced from the clichés of the superhero genre.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Rage View Post
    Time for the steak and egg plant?
    Yes!

That actually sounds very intriguing. I may look into reading that as well. If you are definitely gonna read that, Morm, will ya let me know how you like it? I haven't read many comics out of the super hero genre, but am always down with good crime fiction. If you like it also then I'll give it a go.
    Last edited by agent99; 07-20-2014 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    Yes!

YUM! Looks tasty. Now I'm gonna have to go grill a steak later.