Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Herowatcher View Post
    Since I'd rather have the Goble Guardians back and sponsored by the UN,
    I'd make Checkmate more like the 1st series and similar to Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D.

Now, perhaps it's because I'm not up on how Shield functions these days, but Checkmate seemed similar to them in Rucka's run. How did you see them as different? (Also, there's so many of these organizations in DC - Argus, Checkmate, Spyral, etc, etc - it's hard to keep track.)
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Now, perhaps it's because I'm not up on how Shield functions these days, but Checkmate seemed similar to them in Rucka's run. How did you see them as different? (Also, there's so many of these organizations in DC - Argus, Checkmate, Spyral, etc, etc - it's hard to keep track.)
    You're definitely right about Rucka's run being similar to Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D.
    I should've just said "make Checkmate more like the 1st series, similar to Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D., but under U.S. control".

Me bad.
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Herowatcher View Post
    Since I'd rather have the Goble Guardians back and sponsored by the UN,
    I'd make Checkmate more like the 1st series and similar to Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D.

I'd be fine with that as long as they kept Rucka's command structure. It was very unique to Checkmate and set it apart from all the other generic organizations like Argus.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I'd be fine with that as long as they kept Rucka's command structure. It was very unique to Checkmate and set it apart from all the other generic organizations like Argus.
    Yes! I loved the balance, and the white/black chess piece pageantry. It gave everything a fun but serious-feeling structure.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller

Thou,wasnt that a bit like the Hellfire club?
    And yes,Rucka's run was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawGunStar View Post
    Thou,wasnt that a bit like the Hellfire club?
    And yes,Rucka's run was awesome.
    There's a similarity in pageantry, but Checkmate, for all its moral ambiguity, is clearly heroic.

Another Rucka Checkmate fan! Such a good series.